Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by petulance » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:04 am

foamy wrote:Yes, the thruster is the standard to which other boards are compared.

I was just thinking of how to summarise what to expect out of bonzer.
And no point getting one unless you have occasional access to walling, quick, semi-hollow to hollow waves in the waist to head high range. A bit silly choosing a bonzer for short-walled peaks or fat waves.
So no point getting one for 2ft Sydney Eastern Beaches closeout beachies?
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:10 am

Pet, in 2ft Sydney Eastern Beaches closeouts, you can be entirely free with your board choice because it makes so little difference.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:15 am

I've ridden Bonzers in a wide variety of surf - from triple overhead G land and Lennox point to 2 ft runners.
The design is coherent but it's very different to a thruster.
I'll write it up properly when I get home.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:25 am

The bonzer I had used to go great in walled up down the line type beachies like overhead Wanda and greenhills. It went great at Sandon point. Like foamy alluded to, they're a hinderance in short sectioning waves and fat burgers. If you lived up north with the pointbreaks, or somewhere like Ulladulla with a shit tonne of quality reefbreaks itd make sense. No point whatsoever getting a bonzer to surf average beachbreak conditions. The feel of it was like a single fin, flowing with great down the line drive, but had more bite and squirt going rail to rail.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:54 am

foamy wrote:Yes, the thruster is the standard to which other boards are compared.

And no point getting one unless you have occasional access to walling, quick, semi-hollow to hollow waves in the waist to head high range. A bit silly choosing a bonzer for short-walled peaks or fat waves.
Yep. Also it seems people ride them like thrusters e.g. Taylor Knox, Donovan etc...

There's pretty much one bonzer design, quads on the surface seem boring but are probably more intriguing

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Mine gathered dust over summer.
Autumn/winter however, they get a good outing.
All else equal, will feel a little stiffer than a thruster, but more drivey.
If you feel your surfing needs a little more flow you could do worse than try one.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Davros wrote:

Yep. Also it seems people ride them like thrusters e.g. Taylor Knox, Donovan etc...

There's pretty much one bonzer design, quads on the surface seem boring but are probably more intriguing
I really like quads, a bit looser than a thruster but with even more drive, acceleration and hold, what's not to like about that?
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Same

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:42 pm

interesting ... I've probably surfed about 10-12 hours in the last week, and all of it was fast, hollow racetrack beachies in the shoulder to head high range on the sets.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Cranked wrote:
Davros wrote:

I really like quads, a bit looser than a thruster but with even more drive, acceleration and hold, what's not to like about that?

the fact they are nowhere near as loose as a thruster?
Kunji wrote:

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Brian Brainwave wrote:
Cranked wrote:
Davros wrote:

the fact they are nowhere near as loose as a thruster?
Depends on the size of the rears and the placement. But yeh I find modern quads to be pretty stiff.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Lots of different quad designs. That's the thing I find thrusters don't have enough drive and I find them more rudder like and hit the target like an archers arrow and hence not as loose. I'm sure I'll be corrected in a nano second but that's how it feels to me. Rainy day conversations, I'm about to break out the play station and bake a cake.
Last edited by Davros on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:14 pm

The type of waves where people like the modern quad for speed and hold in the barrel, I prefer a channel bottom thruster. The Ab's I've had have never felt rudder like at all. Always had small fins in them.
My current shorty tho is a quad but I've put twinzer fins in standard quad placement. I like it. Big twin fins up front with tiny rears.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Might not be performance enough for you Buddy but have a look at NPJ Quartet fin config when you are sitting on the dunny. Big MR twins with smaller rear trailers with a bit of cant. Kinda interesting.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:57 pm

I really hate watching that tight little arc thruster surfing or if they are a bit gorillaish style wise.
Quads improve your surfing IMHO.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:08 pm

i find twins so much more fun than quads. I have my everydayer as a modern twin. then that 5'11" pintail when it's hollow and fast and sucking harder than desiree washington.

I'm thinking a good paddling bonzer for when it's big and off its tits.
Kunji wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:17 pm

The quad I've ridden most is a Stretch 6'10 F4 (dedicated quad) with Stretch's own quad set. Fin size is approx M5 front and M3 back, but with the fin height a little lower and base a little broader than the m5/m3 fins. Front fins have a deep concave. Trailing edge of rear fins is set at 11.5" from the tail, and the rears at 6.25"

The board is a 6'10 but the narrow pointed nose and lots of nose lift means it would probably equate to around a modern 6'5".

Other quads I've owned are:

Two LSD dedicated quads, a 6'3 and 6'8. These weren't quite as loose but I was running M7/M5. Both sold.

A 6'9 Slipstream (5 fin) that I liked best as a quad. Again not as loose but lots of drive. Still got this one, its a great all rounder in 2'-4'. Fins are at 10.5" and 5.25"

A 7' fish (5 fin), again probably over finned and sold long ago.

I've also got a (5 fin) 6'4 pin tail that has not been to Bali yet so I don't really know what it can do.

Bottom line is the F4 is my favorite board but, for me, it lacks a little paddle power (hoping to correct that this season) and as I said its a bit looser than my thrusters but with even more drive, acceleration and hold which could be due in part to the fins and their placement
Last edited by Cranked on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Beanpole wrote:I really hate watching that tight little arc thruster surfing or if they are a bit gorillaish style wise.
Quads improve your surfing IMHO.
If the wave has enough push, you can easily hold your line on a thruster and avoid tight arcs. I don't mind taking a bit longer board out either for a bit of extra rail. Forehand I like playing around with all kinds of setups, but backhand I love a thruster.
Davros wrote:Might not be performance enough for you Buddy but have a look at NPJ Quartet fin config when you are sitting on the dunny. Big MR twins with smaller rear trailers with a bit of cant. Kinda interesting.
Would be keen on a quartet, but not prepared to let go of that much coin. Pretty similar fin sizes to what I've got except mine are in modern quad position.
I've got a set of these.