Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by Cranked » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Prostitution?
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:30 pm

And gambling. Now that James is out of China he'll be looking for a nice little earner.

So finally we'll see the linking of surfing to those two steadfast and traditional ways of earning a tidy dollar.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:44 pm

pro surfing has been flirting with gambling for a while now.

seriously, there could not be a sport easier to game and match/heat fix.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Yep, and it's been going on with or without money involved for yonks. Eg Getting ya mate who needs to qualify or is challenging a title through.

I'm also still dubious on the judging that got Mick his title at pipe over Slater and Parko's pipe heats for his title too. Although it would have felt criminal if parko didn't win it that year.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:34 pm

steve shearer wrote:seriously, there could not be a sport easier to game and match/heat fix.
That's what I was thinking, and that would be a big plus to any investors

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:52 am

It took me around 10 seconds to sadly learn that you can already place your bets on WSL events with the first of the many current online gambling leaches I checked on.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:03 am

They need to go all out WWF style with whacko characters, slutty wives getting up to no good, and biffo on the beach. Spin off series focussing on the wives daily lives.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:22 am

Its allready like that isn't it?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:34 am

aaarating wrote:It took me around 10 seconds to sadly learn that you can already place your bets on WSL events with the first of the many current online gambling leaches I checked on.
dude! You've been able to gamble on CT events, world rankings and much more online for nearly a decade.

It's actually a small - and small's the word - insight into pro surfing's true popularity. Online surf gambling ticks over but it's a tiny fraction of any betting house's trade.

There was talk in the past of the tour and a betting house hooking up, but the old ASP Board was dead against it and the money on offer - essentially a piece of the action - was pretty dismal.

More to shearer's point - it's private. WSL rules prohibit any kind of gambling on surf events by pros and other employees of the organisation, but it'd take a court order to find out if anyone had. Best bet I've heard of was sixty grand on Taj to beat Adriano at Snapper in 2011. Taj got away to a lead but then Adriano started chucking nines at him. Taj won - by a sliver of a point on the last wave. Someone was shitting themselves, but who?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:49 am

Connor at 81:1 for world champ 2017 looks alright
Erase.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:02 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
aaarating wrote:It took me around 10 seconds to sadly learn that you can already place your bets on WSL events with the first of the many current online gambling leaches I checked on.
dude! You've been able to gamble on CT events, world rankings and much more online for nearly a decade.

It's actually a small - and small's the word - insight into pro surfing's true popularity. Online surf gambling ticks over but it's a tiny fraction of any betting house's trade.

There was talk in the past of the tour and a betting house hooking up, but the old ASP Board was dead against it and the money on offer - essentially a piece of the action - was pretty dismal.

More to shearer's point - it's private. WSL rules prohibit any kind of gambling on surf events by pros and other employees of the organisation, but it'd take a court order to find out if anyone had. Best bet I've heard of was sixty grand on Taj to beat Adriano at Snapper in 2011. Taj got away to a lead but then Adriano started chucking nines at him. Taj won - by a sliver of a point on the last wave. Someone was shitting themselves, but who?
Yeah yeah. And footyplayers cant bet on games and jockeys cant bet on races and......so on. We all realise the 'rules' are effectively tissue paper cover for what actually goes on. But as you have enlightened me that gambling is so 'yesterday' what is the 'next' big thing for pro surfing apart from the departing hint by Speaker of the KSSC wave pool contest scene?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:22 am

So gambling has already been covered, but what about prostitution eh?

A quick google turned up - you guessed it - a recent beach grit google bait.

“PROSTITUTION AT SURF SHOPS!”
Derek Rielly
by Derek Rielly
4 months ago
All the kooky search words that land you at BeachGrit!
How did you land at BeachGrit? Are you a regular, for whom misleading headlines and harmless slander are as much your morning go-to as your cup of joe?
Maybe you’re just a periodical browser, tempted here and there by BeachGrit‘s anti-depressive ethos, by the occasional lure of aggregated videos and whatever else.
Or are you, like the following internet users, lured, perhaps, by our habit of tagging stories with the oddest combinations.
Etc.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Well if you are gonna pay $2000 for jimmy banks to make a surfboard for you when you can get one for $800 that will ostensibly go exactly the same for 99.9% of us mortal surfers then I reckon he's probably f***ing you good and proper so maybe prostitution link in surf shops is a real thing?

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Beerfan wrote:They need to go all out WWF style with whacko characters, slutty wives getting up to no good, and biffo on the beach. Spin off series focussing on the wives daily lives.
Captain Lou Albano?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:40 pm

That would be going back to the future. Back in the 70s, the voice of Hawaiian surfing was the professional wrestler Lord James 'Tally Ho' Blears. He was also the ref for one of Hulk Hogan's big fights.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:56 pm

MP looking cool.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:19 pm

That photo is Lord 'Tally Ho' Blears at Burleigh announcing Michael Peterson as the winner of the first Stubbies Pro in 1977. I love the kid, rubbing shoulders with giants at the ground zero of modern 'man on man' pro surfing, eating an ice block.