Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by black duck » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:22 pm

I'm enjoying it from afar, but it's SS doing all the bowling and Cranked, while mostly blocking, is glancing a few through to 3rd man, with the odd one through deep gully. No wickets taken but the bowler may be getting frustrated as the bails haven't moved. He keeps going at the off stump to no avail.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:18 pm

You have to watch out for Steves action when bowling....also tampering with the ball.....but the main point of contention is Crankys choice of bat.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:56 am

Annoying things: pro surfers saying they aren't motivated unless the waves a great. Surf what you are given. I'm looking at you Joel Parkinson and Kelly Slater you prima-donnas.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:00 am

I'm not motivated to watch pro surfing when the waves aren't great.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:04 am

It's the same watching wet weather footy. You play, shouldn't be allowed to pick the games you play.

I don't mind watching the pros surf crappy surf as it makes them look human.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:07 pm

I don't want to watch them looking human, I want to see amazing surfing.

I can see all the average to great surfing I want just by going down the beach.

I usually last 10-15minutes watching pro surfing if the waves are shitt.....unless it's Slater or someone like that.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:17 pm

Parko has been quite vocal regarding the Margeret River Pro and has called it a B Grade wave not worthy of the tour. I enjoy watching the pros in those testing conditions. Personal view is he should just shut up. Sure the Rio pro is a bit drab but you can pick things up from the pros in shit surf.

Polarised, perfect Keramas a few years ago was dull. A mostly intermediate wave that only tested the pros when it was maxing on the slightly wrong swell angle. But that was a one off.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:43 pm

totally disagree....I thought that Keramas comp was amazing......JJF did the biggest air ever, heaps of insane 10 pt rides, amazing tube-riding and turns.

Watching pros paddle around in miserable close-outs in Rio scratching to find any wave better than a 3 isn't pro sport to me. Thats bush league stuff. It doesn't deserve to be telecast.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Fair play, but I don't want to see pro's surf intermediate barrelling waves, a wave machine would be similar.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:39 pm

That would not be my assessment of that wave....few of the pros, Kelly Slater in particular really struggled at Keramas.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:25 pm

Yeah fair enough, I'm purposely being obtuse for no apparent reason. I surfed Keramas with 10 other guys and it was probably 6ft with the occasional bomb set and a little straight. I'm not the best but at 6ft it's very fast and if you wanted a barrell you needed to take off deep and just fking go for it. Needless to say I didn't get tubed that day but chased a bending reef on some of the best waves someone like me will get. As you can see there's no easy entry when Keramas is firing so it's free fall drops all the way. I found the reef on the inside once or twice and creased the crap out of my board. Was probably about a foot under gunned due to being stupid and listening to a mate (even life long friends have agenga's when the surf is like that). Yeh deep pits if you had the balls and skill. Only two guys where getting into them and one guy had travelled 48 hours to get there and was in kamakize mode. The other guy getting seriously shacked was some charger from WA, I have a mental picture hard wired into my memory banks; him free falling into the most outrageous barrel that went from deep jade to black bandage night in a nano second. Next day 4 ft was like a fun beach break in comparison. What an insane and hectic 4 hours.

I've seen footage of the most incredible barrel entry by Slater and the 10's from Parko.

Anyway your probably right and I'm being a little plipant in my previous posts.
Last edited by Davros on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Yeah Davros, but you and I can surf it at waist high.......my waist high.....which is actually overhead......when I get pitched.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:14 pm

:mrgreen:

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:17 am

A couple of days ago, Nick Carroll put an article on Coastalwatch about boards being too cheap and mentions Jim Banks' adjusted pricing. Jim has made quite a few comments under the article.

http://www.coastalwatch.com/surfing/209 ... up-damn-it

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:23 am

Read it. His comments don't make sense. Mals are more expensive or the same price. Short boards are made using much less materials and time. They don't last nearly as long so they need replacing more often. Production is 100 times more than back then. Economies of scale.
I agree bespoke boards should cost more....they usually do.
Suits....well that's debatable. Cheap suits in Asia....cheap suits at Lowes.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:54 am

Beanpole wrote:Read it. His comments don't make sense. Mals are more expensive or the same price. Short boards are made using much less materials and time. They don't last nearly as long so they need replacing more often. Production is 100 times more than back then. Economies of scale.
I agree bespoke boards should cost more....they usually do.
Suits....well that's debatable. Cheap suits in Asia....cheap suits at Lowes.
Modern performance boards have a much more complex and sophisticated symphony of curves than an old 60's mal. Significantly more exacting to hand shape, I reckon.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 am

No matter how much time a shaper spends on his boards, it still might turn out to be a dog.
And while I agree that boards are reasonably cheap for the work that goes in, I can't see how Jim comes to a number that is double or more of many well regarded shapers living in Australia with the cost of living here.
How much does a well glassed, tinted and polished Gunther Rohn semi gun go for?
AB's starting price for his sought after channel bottoms was only around $7-800 when he died from memory.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:36 am

Jim has decided on a custom board price that makes him feel it is worth his time. Good on him. If he doesn't get any takers, he will do something else with his time and probably be happier for it. He says his cafe provides his primary income anyway. I would be surprised if he doesn't get people willing to pay. Plenty of examples in the marketplace of people who have doubled the price and found their sales figures stay the same or even go up.

If you weren't buying his custom boards at his old price, you are probably not really in his target market anyway.