A Moderator's Message

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A Moderator's Message

Post by admin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:51 pm

We were incredibly fortunate to have had your conscientious moderation for as long as we did Trev. As I think a fair few of the commentators have already said (if sometimes cryptically), your diligence and judicious approach have left the forums far better than you found them.
When you first hinted that this day might be getting closer, I felt a shiver of dread. But at the same time, I also felt deeply grateful for your unstinting efforts. We were really, really lucky. (Indeed, as you many of you will no doubt recall, there were times in the past when I got very close to pulling the plug. Trev pulled us back from the brink on more than a few occasions.)
I'm stoked you're planning to turn up around the forums into the future mate and I look forward to calling on your wise council from time to time.
As for what happens now, well, I guess it's gonna be down to me for the time being. One of the first things I'll be doing is upgrading the forum to a new version. Doing so could mean taking it offline for a day or two, but once the upgrade is done, it should have a new "report this post" function which I hope will make it more manageable. Obviously, I'll give everybody a head's up beforehand.
I'm also keen to hear from any of you with a view about who might be mod material. Drop me a line via the realsurf feedback form.
Don

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Beanpole » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:42 am

Braithy wrote:what hat?
See cycling thread.

Legion
Duke Status

Post by Legion » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:58 am

Last edited by Legion on Thu May 14, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Beanpole » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:40 pm

3-)

BA
Snowy McAllister

Post by BA » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:33 pm

Nice one Trev. Musta been tough trying to control some of the fuck-knuckles on here. Surprised you're not institutionalised, eating your own undies for dinner. Or are you?
crabmeat thompson wrote:we'll put him in a headlock and feed him a penis

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:59 pm

I'm pretty sure trevor is eating a lunch of plated salad and underpants right now and of course, washing it down with body temperature pasteurised milk.
Drailed wrote:Sound like a load of cunts to me Trev.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Sorry to hear Trev and thanks for your time and effort. Andy was keen I recall and what else has Fong got to do in Tahiti and he only has a couple of goats.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Cranked
Snowy McAllister

Post by Cranked » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:28 pm

Well, this is tragic Trev. I think Isaiah 32.2 is apposite here, you were:
...like a shelter from the wind and a refuge from the storm, like streams of water in the desert and the shadow of a great rock in a thirsty land.
And while I'm at it, I think there's something meaningful here for all of us:
Then the eyes of those who see will no longer be closed, and the ears of those who hear will listen.
The fearful heart will know and understand, and the stammering tongue will be fluent and clear.
No longer will the fool be called noble nor the scoundrel be highly respected.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

tonks
barnacle

Post by tonks » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:18 pm

I'm not sure how you've managed it this long Trev. Irrespective of that, you work here has been commendable and no one could blame you for handing in your badge and pistol.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:47 pm

- Thank you trev for your time and effort
- Who will replace you?
- Does your position need replacing?
- Will you accept self nominations eg Andys?
- What tips do you give for the next "chosen one"?
- Thanks again
- Will there be a 'standing down' ceremony
- @TardG, please stand down
- Thanks again :)
------------

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
offshore1 wrote: Petulance is a woman of firm convictions.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:56 pm

I'm thinking you might be the one for the job Cooper. As a highly respected member of the Duke caste it is my belief that you were born to the lofty position of Internet chat room forum moderator.

Step forward son, your time has come.

Fuschia
Duke Status

Post by Fuschia » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Legion wrote:
Trev wrote:... Marcus quit after some pretty ordinary treatment of him and his brother.
marcus imploded of his own accord. And guard did nothing wrong, was just deleted by marcus in a fit of rage IIRC.
I was a pretty interested observer at the time. Guard made some crazy posts which were apparently as a result of some issues caused by drug use. I have no evidence of that (apart from comments Marcus made in his defence).
And Marcus went to bat for his brother. Towards the end there were some fairly hurtful comments directed at Guard and he (Guard) was responding.
In order to protect Guard and shield him from further attacks, he deleted guard's and Dino's posts and advised us of what he's done and why.
I clearly remember thinking at the time, I'd have probably done the same thing - except I don't like my brother.
A number of people sent me PM's saying they understood Marcus' actions.
Loofy wrote
"when i lived in Bellevue hill"

lol :-o

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Maybe we should conduct a poll and choose Realsurf's next Moderator by way of competition?

We would start with nominations and reasoning as to why the nominated person is RS Mod material, then a brief polling period followed with results and then an awards ceremony.

From a previous conversation with Trevor the retard, he told me when he moderates the rs boards, he wears a button up shirt and bow tie, as a form of authority and ceremony for his task at hand.

It would be only right that we had a passing of the bowtie and ceremonial shirt awards service once our next brave and fearless leader was chosen.
Drailed wrote:Sound like a load of cunts to me Trev.

Cranked
Snowy McAllister

Post by Cranked » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:57 pm

http://blog.vanillaforums.com/community ... oderators/
Moderation is a tricky business. Firstly because doing it well requires excellent judgement and social intuition; secondly because being a moderator appeals hugely to people who lack either of those traits. Pick a bad forum anywhere on the internet and somewhere along the line you’re likely to find moderators who are either apathetic, incompetent, bullies or all of the above.

It might seem like the relatively small number of moderators in a given community would limit their influence over the overall culture, but this isn't the case. While the quality of your user base is notoriously difficult to effect in the short term, over the long term it will be almost entirely determined by the kind of users that continue posting. That factor in turn will be decided by what your rules are and how they are enforced. Smart, socially capable people have better things to do than hang around a community that’s full of trolls they know will never be turfed out. Unless you’re dealing with a community small enough that you can moderate it entirely on your own, these decisions are going to largely be made by your moderating team.

The problem, of course, is who to pick. Moderating is frequently a thankless task. Volunteering to be The Man puts a user into a position where they will be frequently attacked or insulted by the trolls in the community and can quickly turn a fun hobby into an unpaid customer service position. The upsides to the position are the ability to take a hand in shaping the community that they care about. An uglier way of expressing that upside is the ability to exert power in that same space. The moderators you want are the ones who are interested in the first upside. The trick is separating them from those that are interested in the second.

The best moderators I’ve known were often the ones that needed the most persuading to take the job. Conversely, I have a standing policy that any user who openly expresses a desire to be a moderator should be blacklisted from it. In truth, a more nuanced view is probably wiser. There are a few standard qualities that you should look for. It goes without saying that you should look for active members of the community, as an absentee moderator is at best ineffective and at worst will cause harm as users become frustrated as their questions go unanswered. However, if you have a few outlier users who post far more than other users I would caution against putting them in moderating positions. Users who are spending all day on your forums are likely to lack the kind of social skills required of a moderator and are also likely to quickly burn out and leave the forum. Another commonly looked for trait that can be misleading is metamodding (also known as backseat modding). It’s tempting to look at a user who is showing a keen knowledge of the rules and a willingness to contribute and think they’d make a great mod. In my experience, this keenness can quickly become the kind of overzealousness that bad moderators are made of.

So, after all the warnings are dealt with, what should you look for in a moderator? Obviously this will vary depending on the specific needs of your community, but here’s a checklist of good questions to ask yourself when looking at candidates:

Have they shown that they understand the rules and appropriate behaviour on a personal level? While reformed trolls can make good mods, it’s a riskier undertaking.
Are they already bringing value to the forums? Do they make people laugh, help people out and make people feel welcome?
Have they demonstrated a separation from the various cliques and feuds that inevitably erupt in any community?
Do you think they’ll work well as part of your existing team? While debate in the mod forum is healthy, personality clashes can cause unfortunate gridlocks and prevent you from getting anything done.
Shit, Trev ticked all these boxes, it'll be tough to get a replacement.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:39 pm

Trev wrote:
Legion wrote:
Trev wrote:... Marcus quit after some pretty ordinary treatment of him and his brother.
marcus imploded of his own accord. And guard did nothing wrong, was just deleted by marcus in a fit of rage IIRC.
I was a pretty interested observer at the time. Guard made some crazy posts which were apparently as a result of some issues caused by drug use. I have no evidence of that (apart from comments Marcus made in his defence).
And Marcus went to bat for his brother. Towards the end there were some fairly hurtful comments directed at Guard and he (Guard) was responding.
In order to protect Guard and shield him from further attacks, he deleted guard's and Dino's posts and advised us of what he's done and why.
I clearly remember thinking at the time, I'd have probably done the same thing - except I don't like my brother.

incorrect
Last edited by andy2476 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

offshore1
Snowy McAllister

Post by offshore1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 am

It's fun to imagine what kind of mod andy would be: Churchill? FDR? Truman? Ghandi?

this is how I would picture dino

ajohnsen wrote: My tertiary education has been a bit like a blind woman with sudden onset diarrhea in a bathroom accessories showroom.

Fuschia
Duke Status

Post by Fuschia » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:20 am

andy2476 wrote:
Trev wrote:
Legion wrote:

incorrect
You can deny it all you like.
But it won't erase your guilt.
The only point I'll concede is that Marcus overreacted in deleting all your posts but the fact remains you and a couple of others drove him to it.
It was a disgraceful act.
Loofy wrote
"when i lived in Bellevue hill"

lol :-o

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:34 am

I'm sorry but you're mistaken
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy