Get this!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

el rancho
Duke Status

Re: Get this!

Post by el rancho » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:47 pm

this thread is coming along nicely guys

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:22 pm

ten pages deep about a plastic fin that looks like a steak knife that nobody wants to buy

smashing

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:07 am

Roy,
can you print a Ben Lexcen Star fin with your current setup?

Steve Shearer: Would you like to test the Gull-Whale fin? You seem to get more time in the surf than myself at the moment. Could lend you an original McCoy Gullwing and the Gull-Whale fin for a week if you like.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:23 am

Yes I would.

I really would.

Not sure, but I think my wife responded to a very kind offer from Roy to send one over here for testing. Not sure because she's still asleep, and I know she fancies Roy as being a bit of hot gear and might have said something embarrassing on a Facebook page I never check.

But I've got three boards here that could test the fin and a mate, mates who could also hop on board.

I'll try and get video footy so people can actually see the fins in action.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:44 am

steve shearer wrote:Yes I would.

I really would.

Not sure, but I think my wife responded to a very kind offer from Roy to send one over here for testing. Not sure because she's still asleep, and I know she fancies Roy as being a bit of hot gear and might have said something embarrassing on a Facebook page I never check.

But I've got three boards here that could test the fin and a mate, mates who could also hop on board.

Hi Steve,

Yes your wife did reply, thanks.

I can send a 9.5" Gull Wing straight away ( along with the Spitfire fin). Your wife said that you'd like an 8" GW which I'm happy to do as it will expand the fin range but it will take a week or so longer.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:45 am

Matticus Finch wrote:I'm going to win a set of the thruster fins from the facebook giveaway Fongss, maybe you could too!
We'll be running fin giveaways on FB regularly too.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:54 am

Looks like I'm the only sucker who paid for the fin! :D
Ha!
But really, how good is this: Just a few weeks from making the first drawing, to having the finished product mailed to me, and now the world gets to try it out. Interesting times we live in. 3-)
Shame we're fucking up the planet way too fast in the process...

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:14 am

MrMik wrote:
Roy,

can you print a Ben Lexcen Star fin with your current setup?
Yes, but the foil on the Star fin looks pretty good already, so unless some other variations were introduced it might not be that interesting.

I prefer tunnel fins for lift, we did lots of planar wing hyrdofoil fins and the tunnels proved to be way better, they have no vices at all, they don't change the way the board handles but increase drive dramatically.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:21 am

MrMik wrote:Looks like I'm the only sucker who paid for the fin! :D
Ha!
But really, how good is this: Just a few weeks from making the first drawing, to having the finished product mailed to me, and now the world gets to try it out. Interesting times we live in. 3-)
Shame we're **** up the planet way too fast in the process...
The Gull Wing wouldn't have happened without you, so many thanks.

The fins are selling well so you are not the only one by any means but we have been providing a few for testing.

3D printing is nice in terms of material use as it has almost zero waste, and making the core honeycombed reduces the amount of material used as well.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 am

I really would.

But Steve, do you have a pool?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:34 am

I think that what kayu was trying to say previously is that he doesn't need fancy tank testing in order to evaluate a fin, he can do it just by riding it... a radical concept to be sure...

:D

On the subject of data we've been quoted US$14k for a fin box which will measure lift and drag, from a company in San Diego. They'd have to build it from scratch hence the price.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:13 am

A closer look:

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:09 am

damo666 wrote:
But Steve, do you have a pool?
Pool and spa are outdated by now, I found that the solution was staring me in the face: The Aquaponics System! :D In keeping with core Permaculture principles, everything must have several purposes to make it worth your while.

Endless supply of bubbles, perfect working height, shaded, no chlorine stench after testing. Almost as good as that Tasmanian facility. :B

Might even be able to get some half-decent video footage.

Oh, and I did finally have a surf this morning, the spell has been broken, big grin on my face! :-)(

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:18 am

Check your pm, pls.

scot
regular

Post by scot » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:19 am

Ha!
Not the only one Mik. I got one, but I have a feeling that I am not meant to use it. I managed to tweak my knee after it arrived so I sent it to Shearer while I was recovering. Now I have it back and the waves are missing.
Looking forward to giving it a good run next week if the surf co-operates.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:58 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 14, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi Legion,

Next we'll be doing some fins with traditional templates , I'm looking at several from blending curves.

http://www.blendingcurves.com/temps/fins

Thruster fin wise I'd quite like some advice on sizes and planshape, I'll do three sizes to start with. The standard thruster type fin can have the BLEF feature from the base up to where the fin rakes more than 40 degrees in the leasing edge, so most of the fin.

What kicks off a particular fin is when someone orders a set, that's what happened with Mr Mik and the Gull Wing, with the bonzer runners and all of the spitfire multi fins which we have so far. About half of our orders are custom.

That's not a policy it just means that the ordered shape jumps the queue ahead of my fin design agenda, and it's all good.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:48 pm

scot wrote:
Ha!
Not the only one Mik. I got one, but I have a feeling that I am not meant to use it. I managed to tweak my knee after it arrived so I sent it to Shearer while I was recovering. Now I have it back and the waves are missing.
Looking forward to giving it a good run next week if the surf co-operates.
Best to start with the fin about an inch further back than a regular fin, I think Steve had his a bit too far forward, it still went well for him though.