Yoga/Surf Fitness

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

cosmicrich

Yoga/Surf Fitness

Post by cosmicrich » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi,

I'd like to gently begin getting fit with a view to doing some surfing. I'd like to use Yoga as part of that process.

Can anyone recommend a good beginning Yoga book which would help push me in the right direction. I'm starting as an inflexible 40 something :-)

Thanks

Rich

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Yoga/Surf Fitness

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:53 pm

I would hook up with a good SUP Yogic instructor. That way you can practise your yoga while you try to surf on an SUP. it's a win/ win.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

cosmicrich

Post by cosmicrich » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:12 am

Good suggestion. But I'm flat broke (so an instructor is out of the question for now) plus I'd like to do some personal exploration of the yoga options available, so a book is probably the best option for now.

Rich

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:08 am

'Light on Yoga' by B.K.S. Iyengar is probably the classic work on yoga. It is written for the beginner, but includes yoga programs up to the advanced level.
It has very clear explanations and lots of photos. It's a great book.

cosmicrich

Post by cosmicrich » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks Foamy. I'd concluded from research that one was the likely candidate, but it's nice to have affirmation.

Bonus Question: I was watching 'Morning of the Earth' the other day, and noticed there was a Yoga book visible in the tree-house scene briefly for a couple of seconds, I'd be interested if anyone could identify which book it is :-)

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:57 am

cosmicrich wrote:Thanks Foamy. I'd concluded from research that one was the likely candidate, but it's nice to have affirmation.
Of course, there is 'yoga' and then there is 'stretching'. The former (in theory) imbued with the overlay of spiritual development etc.

But if you just want stretching, dont stick just to yoga books. Have a look at some of Kit Laughlin's stuff for example. I have done his classes and he is a bit of a pratt in person, but he knows what he is talking about and pitches at a very understandable level. His stuff is probably a bit more expensive than buying an old yoga book, but there is none of that mystical crap.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:18 am

cosmic rich, don't fcuken do it mate.

I mean do the Yoga by all means but surfing, at your age, I promise ya, it's going to suck.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:12 pm

yeah, I re-started at 25 and that was painful enough.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Don't listen to em, I started at 47, I still suck but glad I did it.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:52 am

Nick Carroll wrote:cosmic rich, don't fcuken do it mate.

I mean do the Yoga by all means but surfing, at your age, I promise ya, it's going to suck.
Interesting response. Can you explain more?
i.e. Don't do it because :
- you will never be a 'good' surfer starting so late.
- you will clog up the lineup for the rest of us
- you might injure yourself
- I'm just joking, do what you want.
?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Scroty wrote:Interesting response. Can you explain more?
?
Don't do it because you will end up spending your spare time hanging out on internet sites full of middle aged men

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:24 pm

thats an interesting point.

young people don't hang out on surf forums.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Scroty wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:cosmic rich, don't fcuken do it mate.

Interesting response. Can you explain more?
?
well I feel it's pretty clear, but yeah let's keep going with it

yeah it is going to be extremely hard, surfing's early learning phases are all about getting smashed endlessly and making heaps of mistakes, it's the sort of shit you're happy to do at eight or 10 years old but at 40-plus it's a punish. maybe cosmic rich lives somewhere like spork where the surf is mostly gentle and predictable and there isn't a lot of crowd pressure, it does strike me that spork is the exception that proves the rule though.
clogging up the lineup, well I don't think that's an issue for "the rest of us" but it could def be an issue for the 40-plus learner, you go from being this established middle-aged land person to a kook at the base of the food chain in the water, where 19 year olds sneer at you and paddle past like you were dust, that'd have to be tough.
injury is a big possibility but hell, once you're over 40 any exercise will damage you so whatever.

and yeah I am slightly joking, cosmic rich will do what he wants anyway, right? But it might help to know the truth too. everyone else will say "hurray!" or "nah fcuk off mate, more crowds" etc.

I do however think if you wanna go surfing, just do it, don't do Yoga to get ready for it for fcuk's sake, Yoga's Yoga and surfing's surfing. You really have to want to surf quite badly in order to learn, if you kinda semi want to do it then you won't, you'll stop at some point, probably quite quickly.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Spork also spends a fcukload of time in the Maldives.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:58 pm

All up about 12weeks Boo. Best advise for any beginner at any age is get out there at every opportunity, don't be deterred by the conditions, the weather, cold water or the unforgiving crowd unless its too dangerous. Big is not neccessarily dangerous, there are more injuries in 2ft shoreys. Pretty much forget stretching and yoga, you really need to get decent paddling muscles and fitness. Once you have that, then you get more time in the water, more confidence, and most importantly more waves per session. Nobody ever gets 'good' at surfing without a massive amout of waves under their belt and no amout of 'excersises' will get you there. Once you have a decent pop up and wave sence, go and have some proffessional lessons, from there it is up to you.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:33 pm

all of a sudden there is an influx of pomgolian learner/intermediates coming to live at lennox.

pushing up house prices and inculcating our kids with inappropriate geo-political values.

what can we do about this as a community and a nation of proud surfers?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:10 pm

spork wrote: the unforgiving crowd unless its too dangerous. .
Remember that if you can surf outside of the cities (and certain key N NSW/ S Qld locations) you will struggle to actually find a crowd. So much better for beginners.

I started late (late 30s) and I have no issue particularly knowing that I'm never going to be more than a poor intermediate. It is slightly frustrating being outpaddled/outskilled by 50 year old women (there is a group of them where I usually surf and they are on huge longboards and just cruise along very nicely), but thats just the way it is. If you cannot accept not being competent and potentially never being more than just OK, dont start. If you expect to be even basically competent within a few hours, dont start.

I agree with Nick that you lose a bit of learning ability by not being willing to throw yourself around as much as you did as a teenager.

Otherwise - go for it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Go for your life mate. Bondi is full of people like you.
The more I watch these people the more I understand that its the other bits of surfing that make all the difference.
Not so much catching the wave but understanding how a surfboard reacts in the water generally. How to duck dive, pull back on a closeout, see whats about to happen as a wave comes through, where other people are in relation to you, not sitting sideways in the impact zone, etc.

A lot of middle aged learners focus only on one thing- trying to catch a wave and block everything else out. Its the other stuff that will keep you out of trouble and once you learn those other factors your surfing experience will become much more real. Yoga might sooth the aches and pains but don't do it pre surf at the beach. Spend 5 minutes sussing the conditions. Think about where you might be able to fit in and if you can try to get there.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?