Longboard disgust

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Teepee
Grommet

Longboard disgust

Post by Teepee » Sun May 18, 2014 8:56 am

As the crowds get thicker and the waves fewer, shouldn't people be riding shorter boards as they can turn faster in crowded situations? I got run over yesterday by an idiot who couldn't control his log, I even yelled and signalled which way for him to go.
It's time these people swallowed their pride and jumped on a shorter stick for the sake of creating a safer environment to surf in, it may take them a while to get used to the board but all in all you get a better workout and can actually progress with your surfing and utilise the wave rather than hang ten.

Yesterday was one incident though a couple days before an old lady jumped off while heading in my direction, board spearing directly at my head, luckily got the arm up and caught it in time. Nearly good bye teeth and nose.

Just seems to me there is no room for longboards anymore. And as for SUPS, don't get me started. There are rivers and lakes for that nonsense.

Don't hold back people bring it on.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Longboard disgust

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 18, 2014 10:14 am

Not really that easy to ride a log well. The funny thing is the trend to more trad logs with less rocker and bigger pivot fins which has effectively limited the ability to turn quickly. Also they are more likely to pearl in average beach break conditions and while they are good for nose riding a lot of people can get up there but few work out how to get back again. So they are kind of trapped flying through the sections until they fall off or hit something. Add not using a leggie to the mix and that's a dangerous development in crowded surf.

I actually see a lot less of the old stagers out in the surf these days and maybe part of that is the high volume boards around. These boards mean that their big advantage over people sitting up to their chins on tiny boards isn't there any more.

Love riding my mal at places like Crescent but I usually just ride my mid length boards these days when it's normal crowded conditions. Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sun May 18, 2014 10:20 am

Time for laws requiring all surfboards to be registered. When you go down to your local council to get your rego ($68.50) the council guy measures your stick to confirm it fits within the standard approved dimensions. If not he saws off the excess length.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 18, 2014 11:03 am

Why can't we go back to the tried and tested model of clubbies registering all surfboards/riders?

Carroll's a clubbie, he could oversee the policy, rollout and implementation.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

StayPuft

Post by StayPuft » Sun May 18, 2014 11:43 am

It seems the real problem is with novices. Maybe learners should be registered, made to display L plates and be restricted to surfing within designated areas, inside the L flags.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Sun May 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Hey Teepee,
See that pointy nose on your shortboard, if you sharpen it more you will surf faster.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun May 18, 2014 1:35 pm

I've got a better idea Peepee.
Lets's ban all the short boarders. There's more of them so we'll make even MORE space in the water for REAL Surfers. :-)(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 18, 2014 2:42 pm

How are waves getting fewer?

:-?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Very cute Roi.
You know they mean in relation to the number of surfers trying to get one.
Counted 180 odd surfers twice now on fairly mild and pleasant little days at Bondi recently.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Sun May 18, 2014 5:42 pm

well Teepee, your two incidents begs the question, were you the one at fault for being in front of the wave paddling back out through the impact zone ? just curious particularly as the description of the purported offenders was that they were not experienced surfers so that rules out many options on catching waves from any old part of the break.
just as big of an issue as overcrowding is the issue of those who paddle back out through the break or sit on the inside bottom feeding on missed waves.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sun May 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Doesnt your question pre suppose that a less skilled person on a shortboard will actually do a better job than they would on a longboard? I would have thought that, having finally caught a wave after several weeks of attempts, a learner would be more likely just to fall off when trying to turn a shortboard.

Its interesting that going to a shortboard is regarded as 'swallowing pride'. In the past - and I'm sure still - being on a bigger/ long board was recognition of having some kind of flaw in your surfing ability.

That said, I think there is something in having surf schools (presumably where a lot of beginners start) at least having some kind of teaching on surf etiquette and safety. I guess those who are being taught by someone who already knows about surfing would be getting taught this stuff already, because as we know there are no shortboard/experienced surfers who do anything wrong and hence will pass the necessary information and skills onto their pupils.

Maybe someone could draft up a simple yet comprehensive set of rules and make it compulsory that all surf stores in sydney attach the set of rules to every board sold that is over, say, 7ft. Sort of like a road worthy certificate.

Teepee
Grommet

Post by Teepee » Sun May 18, 2014 6:24 pm

Trev wrote:I've got a better idea Peepee.
Lets's ban all the short boarders. There's more of them so we'll make even MORE space in the water for REAL Surfers. :-)(
Haha Peepee, such an intellect.

Teepee
Grommet

Post by Teepee » Sun May 18, 2014 6:25 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:How are waves getting fewer?

With more people in the water means less waves to be had. Not rocket science.

Teepee
Grommet

Post by Teepee » Sun May 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Hollowed out wrote:well Teepee, your two incidents begs the question, were you the one at fault for being in front of the wave paddling back out through the impact zone ? just curious particularly as the description of the purported offenders was that they were not experienced surfers so that rules out many options on catching waves from any old part of the break.
just as big of an issue as overcrowding is the issue of those who paddle back out through the break or sit on the inside bottom feeding on missed waves.
No I jumped off the rocks and was getting into the lineup. Quick to judge there old boy.
The other incident I didn't get around the section and yes was caught on the inside, due to having to sit too deep as sometimes it's the only way to snag a wave.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Sun May 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Last edited by Slobadan Madicubich on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Teepee wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:How are waves getting fewer?

With more people in the water means less waves to be had. Not rocket science.
For those without rocket science maybe.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun May 18, 2014 8:35 pm

ctd wrote:
In the past - and I'm sure still - being on a bigger/ long board was recognition of having some kind of flaw in your surfing ability.
... as shortboarders have wept into many a beer at sad boys clubs everywhere

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Teepee wrote:
Hollowed out wrote:well Teepee, your two incidents begs the question, were you the one at fault for being in front of the wave paddling back out through the impact zone ? just curious particularly as the description of the purported offenders was that they were not experienced surfers so that rules out many options on catching waves from any old part of the break.
No I jumped off the rocks and was getting into the lineup. Quick to judge there old boy.
The other incident I didn't get around the section and yes was caught on the inside, due to having to sit too deep as sometimes it's the only way to snag a wave.
Dunno hollowed. I'd be interested to get some advice from you on how to paddle out at Bondi when it's semi closing out and there's 180 people of very average to shockingly bad ability out there. Can still score a few waves if I get out but you run the gauntlet at your peril. Maybe I could jump off the boot or Ben Buckler?

It's a bit disconcerting when someone suddenly decides to tack straight into a closing out left breaking wall of whitewater rather than go right for example.
Any sage advice will be greatly accepted.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?