Longboard disgust

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Longboard disgust

Post by foamy » Sun May 18, 2014 9:34 pm

"As the crowds get thicker and the waves fewer, shouldn't people be riding shorter boards as they can turn faster in crowded situations?"

I'm not a longboarder, but it continually amazes me how many people, paddling back out, pick a line so close to the curl. Can't people paddle out a bit wider.
Should people pass a fitness test?
A surf intelligence test?
Then again, maybe, when the surf is really good, only very expert surfers should be out there. And there will be people who think that doesn't include you and I, no matter how awesome we know we are.
Then we can get to whether you live within a kilometre of that particular beach.

I don't think longboarders are the problem, and, once you start excluding, you might find you are the one being excluded eventually.

Being inclusive, using your brain, being fit, paddling out a bit wider where possible, being aware, enjoying other people's rides. Sharing. There is no other option.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun May 18, 2014 9:44 pm

correct.

there's shiteloads of unttended surf if you put your mind to it.

straight away, if someone tells me longboards are a problem alarm bells ring. If there are longboards out taking the waves, they are probably longboard waves better suited for longboards.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun May 18, 2014 10:29 pm

steve shearer wrote:Why can't we go back to the tried and tested model of clubbies registering all surfboards/riders?

Carroll's a clubbie, he could oversee the policy, rollout and implementation.
well that's easy, I will convene a Committee.

The Committee will be drawn from each significant coastal area of Australia and will feature a rigorously accurate demographic spread. I think about 600 of us should suffice.

We can then form a whole lot of Sub Committees, each to investigate various singular aspects of this tough question, you know, things like:

suitable volume
historical narrative of length in surfboards
usefulness of pointed noses
possible methods by which to judge suitable surfboard manufacturers
literacy among surfers: can they be trusted to obey instructions?

etc etc

Each Sub Committee will operate to a reporting schedule to be issued by the Executive Committee.

Naturally all this will have to be paid for and so a special Committee Levy will be placed on all second surfboard purchases - the family surfboard will be levy free but all surfboards therafter will carry a 2.5% levy on the initial sale price.

I'll get back to you all around 2018.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun May 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Nick for PM.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun May 18, 2014 10:48 pm

I was gonna say something about Loofy bringing the noise on this one apropo of Beeny bringing the whisper.

Then I just thought, ... oh fcuk it.
Get a life Cnut. Stop whinging about other modes/current realities.
"Fewer waves, turn faster".....It's the trouble with everything these days.
Oh " they're different to me!!" Can't cope. Fcuk off.
Get out of the valley you're hog tied to or buy a bike or a set of golf clubs...
Stop making fcuking rules about shit you have no control over.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:22 pm

all surfers should be licensed and surfboards registered. its the only solution.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Teepee
Grommet

Post by Teepee » Mon May 19, 2014 4:45 am

When I'm flicking through my wave finder looking for the next surf adventure, I don't even look at the Sydey section.
I've heard the crowds there are just plain wrong, " you have to see for yourself", Uh uh i lived in Perth and witnessed the City on the Surfcoast scene, choked up mess and the waves were terrible.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 am

There's just as many inept retards out there on shortboards and HPS as what there is on longboards. If not more so.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Are people not aware of their surroundings or what?. If I'm heading out and a surfer on any type of board comes close I keep an eye on them til they pass, mainly to keep out of their way. It's not that hard to see someone on a longboard with the wobbles, and even the legendary shortboarders lose their boards occasionally. In fact, sometimes more often if they're the "check out how I bust an air in your face" type surfer. Those ones usually don't land them either, and the board goes flying.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon May 19, 2014 5:15 pm

skipper wrote:I was gonna say something about Loofy bringing the noise on this one apropo of Beeny bringing the whisper.

Then I just thought, ... oh fcuk it.
Get a life Cnut. Stop whinging about other modes/current realities.
"Fewer waves, turn faster".....It's the trouble with everything these days.
Oh " they're different to me!!" Can't cope. Fcuk off.
Get out of the valley you're hog tied to or buy a bike or a set of golf clubs...
Stop making fcuking rules about shit you have no control over.
3-)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 19, 2014 5:47 pm

:D :D :D

I love it when people give advice like why don't you go for a long drive every time you feel like a surf. Well yeah that will be convenient. Also all the people who surf some regular type of beach and think they can give advice about how to avoid getting run over in ridiculously crowded waves with a high proportion of unco surfers. I take my chances just like I do driving in city traffic.

All I will add is that whatever conventional behaviour you have expected from someone riding a surfboard will be confounded.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon May 19, 2014 5:52 pm

Bam flags and don't go to Bondi Problem solved
Though for some reason Warringah Council still have flags up until end of May for some reason???
Never confuse ambition with ability

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Very similar to giving advice about the road rules and merging traffic in Bali :d
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Tue May 20, 2014 10:41 am

For me the issue with longboarders in general is the ones that are fit and can get all the set waves in 1 to 4 foot surf because of the extra flotation...and now the SUPs: a more f%$@#$ up ratio of flotation to body weight/ability. What's next the WAVEJETS ?

In my opinion and this goes to the SUP and MALS, if you have that extra paddling + visual of sets + flotation, etc, you should surf in places where such advantage will help you surf: harder to catch waves, more difficult to reach spots, deep water bommies, etc, and not the same bank as all the shortboarders out there. Or do you really ride a bigger board to hug all the sets?

Imagine if those WAVEJET boards take off here in OZ, dudes will sit 10 meters further out from the pack out in the line up, hit the throttle button or whatever, generate 8 knots of speed in 5 seconds and catch the best sets. After this, he will be back out in the line up in 5 seconds. Even the SUPs will be crying for set waves.

Ahh, and when you mix the weekend warrior effect with the Mal or the SUP, you get the worst kind: stressed out + greedy + low vibe dudes paddling around the lineup like headless chucks. These dudes think extra flotation can overpower that wave attracting energy surfers that surf most days have, but this is another conversation all together.

Of course not all SUP and Mals riders are like this, I know a couple of exceptions out there, but very few unfortunately.

later
J

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue May 20, 2014 12:27 pm

you shortboarders, always complaining.
in the old days, before your shapers worked out what they were doing, it was all complaining about kneeboarders going deeper and taking all the waves. now you've at last got a board that can go deep, you start complaining about longboarders.
poor shortboarders, you're the most put on, downtrodden, misunderstood and under-respected group of watermen out there in the waves.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue May 20, 2014 4:17 pm

purple pyramids wrote:you shortboarders, always complaining.
in the old days, before your shapers worked out what they were doing, it was all complaining about kneeboarders going deeper and taking all the waves. now you've at last got a board that can go deep, you start complaining about longboarders.
poor shortboarders, you're the most put on, downtrodden, misunderstood and under-respected group of watermen out there in the waves.
:B
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue May 20, 2014 5:13 pm

surfers who complain about longboarders taking their waves are usually a) fat b) slow c) kooks d) all of the above

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 pm

Well there you go.

Longboard discussed.

Bye PeePee