Bigger shortboard or smaller midlength for intermediate?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Bigger shortboard or smaller midlength for intermediate?

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:21 pm

** love how the room's now gone silent **
:lol:
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Glad you're amusing yourself.

FWIW I don't have anything against the design of the 7S, but think the one you've chosen is WAY too big for him.
Same with most of the other boards you posted.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:40 pm

Yeah well... They're all "bigger shortboards or smaller mid lengths" and he's a self confessed intermediate level surfer. So "nair-nairny-nair-nair" :mrgreen: :P etc...

And, that 7S model's smallest IS the 7'2 :shock:

But yeah, for sure he could prob tone down the size of what I suggested. But from what he's stated it sounds like foam would be his friend
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Id be a bit wary of 7'2" at 50ltrs if your 78 or whatever kilos.
The problem is the rocker on a board of those dimensions.
There are a lot of experienced shapers who can even do an 8' or 9' gunny shape
with a low rocker that rides well but there are far more blown up shortboards
that would really need a giant surfer of normal build to make them work.
Think about a grommet on a 6'6" board. Same problem.
Don't know where that one stands but Im 80 or so kilos and it would be a nice length but too fat in that shape.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Kind of the problem. I like the length but most midlengths are 2 3/4" - 3" thick with full rails. Something like that rabbidge shape but only 2 1/2" thick with a little less rail volume would suit better I think??. But they're hard to come across as standard shapes.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:53 pm

what about a purcho 2+1 - you can find them second hand at solace and sunhouse occasionally - or you can go a custom!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Yeah, if ur looking at 2.5 as a thickness then ur prob gonna have to get a custom for a big shorty - small midlength. As off the rack u'd be hard pressed finding much under 2.75. Rabbidges boards are nice too.

*EDIT*

Actually, what about one of those Trex Hybrid shapes by Maurice Cole?
Comes off the rack in a 6'6 x 20 x 2.5/8

http://www.ripcurl.com.au/shop/index/t- ... -blue.html
Sniff wrote:

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Ok, we've got a plethora of suggestions on the table.
What say you Mark?
My apologies I've just watched multiple episodes of Game of Thrones.
And why not, with the relentless ESE winds shredding the swell we've had for 2 weeks.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:06 am

Some great suggestions though I'm going to buy second hand so I'll have less choice really. The simon anderson boards all seem to have a lower volume rail, which I think will suit, especially if I'm getting a bigger board. The mollusc looks like a good blend of hybrid but the nice pulled in tail looks like it could work in decent waves. Need to get out and hit the 2nd hand racks.

Still raising funds at the moment so when I get something I'll update.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:08 am

Beery, to figure out this dilemma you've got to figure out how you want to surf and what waves you'll be riding.

two different approaches here.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:35 am

That's something I'm wrestling with. I'm most comfortable and surf more natural on midlengths in decent waves. I think I suit them and Im happy with how they go for me. However, since getting on Josh's light weight and lively boards I like to do more turns, and even on the fish I find myself rushing things to do sharper turns, rather than flowing more. It's addictive.

So do I stick with what works for me, or try a board type I'm not really used to, and haven't had that much luck with?. It's also confidence too, as it's easy to just suit up and go when you know the board works for you.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:11 am

I'm in a similar dilemma to you at the moment Beery.
Looking for something to use on the 2'-4' days.
The range of different design ideas around these days is what's doing my head in, we've probably never had so much choice, from traditional, to right out there.
If I could afford it, I would just go to the guy that made my 7' board and ask for a smaller wave board, and leave it in his hands because he got it right. I haven't narrowed my search enough to lash out yet.

EDIT I like the look of the Mollusc too, chances of me finding a second hand one in the right length would be nil.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

callaway

Post by callaway » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:That Annesley board went for $310! I felt bad for the guy, I threw in an old legrope. Not much more I could do. You would have got yourself a bargain.

It wasn't skittish at all, but it was 6'6" and didn't really have those big thick rails that float the board on top of the wave. I had it in everything from knee high to double overhead. It was wide though and that's why I got rid of it, too close to a few other boards I have. I never really gelled with the board, but I didn't end up using it much. I quite liked the thinned out tail. I think it's another board made with fat waves and summer slop in mind, not geared for the hollow stuff, though it went perfectly OK for me, getting me in early.

Sweet Potato went for $366. No last minute bids at all.
Beerfan wrote:The plan is to eventually get another JD so it's kind of a 12-18 month deal, and I'll be using the next board as a reference.
I reckon plan on trying 2 to 4 boards in that time frame, use em for a bit and sell them. Then try something else. If you can get yourself in the water a bit more often you might surprise yourself, don't go too big, push yourself a bit. I think the tomo thing is worth considering, just look at what JD has to say about them, stable, easy to get into waves, good for the wobbly old man take offs. But start with a stock standard shorty all rounder and go from there.

3 boards sold this weekend, I've started to get the hunger myself.... Must spend money on plane ticket.
Hi Matticus, not wanting to hijack Beerfans thread but I was watching your Sweet Potato with interest and considered buying but potential for a bidding war and purchase of fins made me think that total cost would be upwards of $600. I am also considering a 6'4"Potatonator for that price (all inclusive)

I haven't ridden either of these types of boards but my research tells me they may assist me in wanting to get back into my surfing. Live near the Bra 94kg. 5'11" intermediate ability and fitness and really want something to get me into the waves easily

Firewire's volume calculator suggests something well over 50 litres (6'8" Potatonator and 6'3" SP) and both these boards I've been looking at are around 47 litres. a couple of salespeople have suggested that would be plenty for me but I really don't want to be bogged down paddling around the typically crowded local lineup.

Advice from all much appreciated

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:35 pm

This could become the Iggy scale of wave heights but I rate myself as intermediate:

Comfortable in up to 6 foot surf (fitness depending)
Able to read the surf and generally get to the best takeoff spots
Able to link 3 - 4 turns together either forehand or backhand
Can't do an air (intentionally), don't intend to do an air
Struggle with a vertical forehand top turn
Able to pull in to, and exit, tubes depending on conditions
Never the best surfer in the water, but never the worst, hold my own.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Beery. Have u checked Carabine surfboards out in Wollongong ? I've seen a few mollusc-esque shapes of his out in the line up down there before. He might have something 2nd hand or off the rack ?
Sniff wrote:

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:58 pm

6'6" Black Beauty.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:17 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Beery. Have u checked Carabine surfboards out in Wollongong ? I've seen a few mollusc-esque shapes of his out in the line up down there before. He might have something 2nd hand or off the rack ?

That will be the first place I look mate. Great little surf shop too.
As an aside, as I was in the doctors waiting ( as you always do ) I flicked through the magazine collection and in amongst all the better homes and gardens and caravan mags was a solitary pacific longboarder. Bloody hell haha

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:05 pm

Black Beauty is a great board. Fantastic for bowly or barreling waves. Though as an all rounder I reckon they've got too much rocker, as by definition of an all-rounder u'd have to factor in fatter and sluggish waves along with the good. Sorry to discount ur advice there Spork, but just speaking from experience having owned one and surfing it in a broad spectrum of conditions. Mollusc et al. are a great trade off, sitting comfortably in the steep, and planing thru the flats etc
Sniff wrote: