best surfing movie ever

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:10 pm

Yeah Stu, I know it's Mr R Page. But the actor who plays the older Uncle Robbie in the post-apocolyptic scenes, you know where he's in the cave acting all creepy and telling the little feral kids about surfing. Stuff like "Oh the pipe, Tommy Gun was the best at pipe"..... cut to TC going berzerk at pipe with Metallica blaring. I'm sure its Mr Pitt. Problem is not many people have seen it cos it was originally shown on the road and there isn't many copies on vid floating around. Anyone else seen it?

Chonie

Post by Chonie » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:08 pm

Blue Crush has some awesome footage, but i'm kinda over the whole story line. And can someone PLEASE tell me, how on earth do those girls surf pipe in bikinis!!!???

And i'm still a sucker for Point Break.

stuey

Post by stuey » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:10 am

GET RID O THESE STUPID CHICKS!!

NthCurlyPoint?

Post by NthCurlyPoint? » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:13 am

GLand 97 quiky pro...
Good size, goood barrells, gooood surfers, goooood music, gooooood floater by wilsy,
EPIC VID

NthCurlyPoint?

Post by NthCurlyPoint? » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:15 am

Blue Cursh? Point Break?
Does the question mean which movies which have some surfing in it?
Or which actual surf movies... ie, the ones you watch when its flat or to amp up for a surf?

stuey

Post by stuey » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:24 am

Ok Tiger, the vid is at me local video shop. I'II take a look at the credits and see if its Pitt. In fact Im gonna watch the whole movie again. Just love the oils muzac and the story is a bottler.

colwell

Re: best surf movie

Post by colwell » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:42 am

[quote="burf"]I don't know whether they were the best but I could comfortably sit through [i]Free Ride [/i]and [i]A Day in the Life[/i], a couple more times. Pity is I'm pretty sure Free Ride is unavailable??[/quote]

You can get Free Ride on video - I ordered it from Dick Hoole. Any decent surf shop should be able to give you his contact details.

Billwha
Grommet

Post by Billwha » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:09 pm

1. Big Wednesday! ze best old school vid out there

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:12 pm

performers II with richard cram cutties.
Greenough collection.
september sessions.
MAD WAX , best acting EVER!!!!!!

Gazza

Post by Gazza » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:19 pm

I think that different movies are enjoyable for different reasons.
-I will always enjoy watching the old classic movies (ie morning of the earth) as they remind you of how surfing should make you feel.
After watching one of those movies I cant help but start to organize the next kombi trip up or down the east coast. They are definitely "feel good" movies.

- When I am looking for a good laugh I enjoy watching the movies from the Bob Brown collection (ie:slippery when wet, surfing hollowdays
etc..). Bob's commentary is legendary and the footage is a great break from the hype of modern day surf vids.

- I enjoy watching surf vids that focus on breaks that I surf or have surfed in the past. My favourite vid would have to be the Billabong
movie "nine lives". It has the Ulladulla area as perfect as I have ever seen it, and its great getting the boys together to figure out where each
break is. To see Occy so excited about the shore break at Mollymook peaks me out every time.
The movie "NSW on fire" is another personal fav of mine. It is one and 1/2 hours long and features heaps of line ups on the NSW coast
including Classic Pipe, DY Point etc...The music is also Brilliant if you like 80's rock bands like "Kings of the sun".

I guess all I am trying to say is that different vids inspire us for different reasons and its great to have a wide selection to satisfy our every mood.
Think I'll go watch a surf vid now !!!!!

Myrtle Tickner

Post by Myrtle Tickner » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:46 pm

1) September Sessions
2) Loose Change
3) Snuff 3

schnorky
regular

Post by schnorky » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:53 pm

Metaphysical.
Blah Blah Blah

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:08 pm

streetdaddy wrote:The one where Curren is riding 20' Puerto on a 5' fish... I think its one of the Search movies...
I'd luv to get my hands on some of The Search movies. I lent my copies to some chick years ago, needless to say things didn't work out and I never saw her (no loss) or my vids again :cry:

maddog
regular

Post by maddog » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:42 pm

yeah! i saw blue horizon when i was at ulladulla, (holiday), it wa really good,

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:07 pm

i wanna see fanning the fire.....

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:38 pm

Yeh Stu, check it out. I think the guys name is Abercrombie. I'd love to see it again. How sick is the bit with Pagey surfing Wrecky (Oz pipe) with the Oils soundtrack "Your dream world is just about to eeeeennnnd......" Being an ex southcoaster I love it, and as other sc afficianados have mentioned 9 lives is great. I remember the Sth coast titles being held at the pit in waves just like in the vid. Other classic vids with sc stuff in em include a piping hot one made in the late 80's (forgot the name) with cranking Sandon and Mystics in it. And Gripping stuff 2 had really good potholes in it. Highlight/lowlight being Kris Puckeridge pulling back on the wave of the day which then proceeded to barrel for about 50m. Another movie which has no sc footage but is worth mentioning is Litmus.

stuey

Post by stuey » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:14 am

Bloody video was out. Ya'II have ta wait tiger. Yep I gotta say I like litmus. Love a day in the life o wayne lynch too. Strewth, most o the aussie ones are great. Can't wait to move onto the goldie next year. All you bastards will be invited to an awesome video/piss up at my joint when I get back there.

antman127

Brano

Post by antman127 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:38 am

Green Iguana definitely tops my list, but what about Sarge's Scrapbooks. Branson and the boys showing how week all the glam-surfers handle the tour. They used to have fun get drunk and live like rockstars.