spread some aloha?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

new york local

spread some aloha?

Post by new york local » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:48 pm

hey everyone,
i'm a surfer from new york. yep, that's right, believe it or not there's actually surf right by new york city. i've surfed long island for about five years, all seasons (winter gets pretty brutal with water temps dipping into the low thirties) and have become a pretty competent shortboarder. i'm headed to sydney in february to spend a spring semester studying at the university of sydney. i'll be staying near bondi junction so i guess i'll have access to all of the south side beaches--bondi, bronte, tama, and maroubra. i've researched oz on wannasurf.com, in books like mark warren's atlas and stormrider's guide to the world but i'd be much obliged if some of you guys could divulge some basic tips (i'm not asking anyone to give up their secret spots). what are the good shops that support the local community? how are the buses and trains at helping surfers? any surf tours, to maybe the goldie or south or west? any spots i should avoid? how do people deal with sharks (not a problem in ny)? what kind of an all around board would you recommend for a good shortboarder who usually rides a 6'1 roundtail and a 5'10 fish (i'm 5'10, 165 lbs)? I'm running out of topics but just any general info I'd greatly appreciate. I can also reciprocate if you guys ever plan a trip to any section of the US' eastern coastline. Thanks in advance!

Aussie

East Coast USA

Post by Aussie » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:28 pm

Hey Newbie, how about an email address for contact ole mate?

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:43 pm

Hi NYL,

* Mark Warrens atlas is a pretty good guide and fairly accurate
* Its been a while since I've done it, but on Northern Beaches at least I've never had any problem taking surf board on bus - probably can't do it in peak hour though.
* Transport from Syd Uni to Southern beaches is pretty easy. So is Ferry over to Manly/Queenscliff.
* No real danger with sharks as long as you're sensible - river mouths are probably one of the riskier places, and try to avoid surfing too long after sunset. The main bad shark spot in Australia is South Australia. Its also cold down there so you'd have to be keen to head down there. Big waves tho'.
* The best surf in Oz on the NSW coast tends to be in winter when the south swells come through but you've still got a good chance for a few waves in Feb. South East QLD gets some good swell if there's cyclones about up North so might be worth a visit. Don't underestimate the distances in Oz though - the Gold Coast is a 10+ hour drive from Sydney.

cheers,
zzz

streetdaddy
Local

Re: spread some aloha?

Post by streetdaddy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:48 pm

new york local wrote: how do people deal with sharks (not a problem in ny)?
As a general rule, don't look them in the eye. That means you wanna fight... Also, don't turn your glass upside-down at the pub if there is a shark at the bar.

Here we all usually carry some kind of firearm in the water. Here is a photo of me suited up about to go for a surf out at the 'Bra. You can see me texting my mate to tell him that the swell just jumped, and also get him to bring me some more ammo coz I was low... Damn automatic is such a lead-muncher!

Longboarder
regular

Yep

Post by Longboarder » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:45 pm

The above basically outlines it. I like to park my tank on the sand to give me that edge in the water. Besides you don't wanna be walking on the sand due to all the crocodiles, snakes and aggressive locals.

There is some aloha for ya lol

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:37 pm

Dear Dude,

Basically, all Australians love Americans. We have deep respect for your customs and culture and the way you, both as a great nation and as individuals with deep spirituality and compassion for your fellow citizens, go about your day to day lives.

Don't worry about anything. When you arrive at Mascot, just walk out the front and yell "I am an American and I come to learn and surf". What will happen is that many blokes in cars will come up to you and offer you a free place to stay as well as drive you anywhere you want to go -be careful though, some of these blokes will want to impress you so much they will try and marry you off to their sisters -and you have many more opportunities than "hooking up" with just one bonza sheila!

When you paddle out anywhere on the waves of this wide brown land with its golden beaches and pristine surf, just paddle up to the meanest looking bloke in the lineup and say "I am an American". He will ensure you get priority on all waves, will offer you a lend of his board to get your opinion on the rocker and whether the fins are right for the waves. Afterwards, he will take you to the pub and introduce you to all the boys and watch out! or before you know it you'll be back at his place being offered all kinds of both leagl and illegal delicacies (and sisters!).

Sharks will not bother you. Go immediately to Cactus in South Aussie and stand on the rocky point overlooking Caves. Ask to meet Moose -the long running joke is to tell the local boys you want to fight him -but this is just a password for infiltrating what is, for non-Americans, a heavy scene.

Then go for a paddle with a bit of roo roadkill hanging off your legrope -make sure it is fresh and still dripping blood. Great Whites have been trained for thousands of years by our noble Indigenous Peoples to fear the smell of blood dripping dead bloody kangaroo or wombat in the water. Works fantastic. Also you might smear some on yourself and go up to the pub to meet with local Indigenous Peoples and tell them you want to make a documentary about them -they love being in documentaries that will be shown in the States (and they can be tricked easily -we've did it so well we got the country).

If you find this helpful, I will post more tips. Remember stating "I am an American" will open more doors than a Long Bay screw.

Everyone at Realsurf knows you are coming and we are currently painting the Eastern Suburns red, white and blue. Your arrival is eagerly anticipated.

best regards

Every Australian Surfer

Longboarder
regular

Yep

Post by Longboarder » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:04 pm

You said it better then me, seriously thats all very true Uncle Sam

RyanM

Post by RyanM » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:18 pm

Anonymous wrote:Dear Dude,

Every Australian Surfer
Nice way to spread the aloha

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:22 am

lol As your staying at Bondi you should wait until the surf is near perfect then paddle out Bronte point and say "I'm an American". The point locals are known for their welcoming hospitality and will bump you up the priority. :p

hehehe

zzz pretty much covered it.

Peck

What Size Board ?

Post by Peck » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:20 am

Hi NY,

You asked " what kind of an all around board would you recommend for a good shortboarder who usually rides a 6'1 roundtail and a 5'10 fish?"

Something between 5'10 and 6'1 should do the trick for ya mate?

If you are going for a new custom board, having a picture of Uncle Sam or the US flag sprayed on will help - a/Repel Sharks b/Pull Chicks c/Ensure Wave Priority.

atlas

Ha Ha

Post by atlas » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:10 pm

Its funny.

But you're all so damn cynical!

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:54 pm

well mr new york local never came back to thank us for our advice...

va_surfer

More Americans coming to surf

Post by va_surfer » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:00 am

Well ... New York isn't the only one that wants to surf Australia ...

Besides staying in America, would anyone recommend a decent place to stay? surf? I respect localism and don't want to steal anyone's waves ... but I would like to find out where the best place to surf small surf ... And yes, I'll the crappy waves ...

I will be in Australia in June ... I am curious to find out about areas in NSW or QLD ...

any recommendations?

filthbarrel
regular

June

Post by filthbarrel » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:52 am

Your timing is good. June is when the storms below Australia start pumping the swell into the southern coast and up into Indian and the Tasman. The offshore winds are more likely at this time of the year. Qld points can fire, but not as likeley as in the Jan-April period. There are lots of places to surf, there are lots of people wanting to surf. But really, most people at most breaks are reasonable providing one's behaviour is reasonable. So bring: 1. A good attitude 2. A friendly smile 3. No stories about how fantastic the Croc Hunter is 4. a shrug of the shoulders for some people who will to want to blame you personally for the Bush administration 5. Sisters.

Most Australian surfers are like the rest of the population -there are gems and there are gooses who one would cross the street to avoid socially. Generally they don't give a rat's if you are a yank or a Afghani - if you are an alright person (sometimes this takes some while to evidence) they will talk to ya. It's then that they might tell ya more about where the surf is - stuff the guide books go light on -although saying that, most spots are in Mark Warren's Atlas.

new york local

Post by new york local » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:29 am

hahahahaha you guys are great. i can't fault ya for not really giving me anything but sarcastic jokes because they're pretty damn funny.

On a darker note, I just tore my acl in my right (back, i'm regular foot) knee. i'm going to hold off surgery until I get back and hope I can surf decently without an acl. Anyone know about people who've done the same?

peace

p.s. aussie, you can drop me an email at [email protected]. thanks bro!

vidman

Post by vidman » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:00 am

just finished a 12hr shift,so I'm not sure if my brains playing tricks, is this the funniest thing I've read ever?
Never seen a shark, but lots of bait fish jumping!