Charity fins for Vanuatu

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

haysie
regular

Charity fins for Vanuatu

Post by haysie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:58 am

Hey gang, hope you're all wet and frothy with juice from the swell this last couple of weeks.

I'm headed over to Vanuatu on the 8th of July, and was taking a board with me to see if I could find a wave anywhere.
Then I realised that surfing sucky live coral breaks probably isn't the best thing to be doing right in the middle of my sport season, particularly as I've had injuries galore so far as it is. :?

I read a few articles about the limited surfing gear that is available to kids in Vanuatu, and I thought "If I can't surf it, someone should at least be able to!". Thus, I hatched a plan to take one of my boards over with me and donate it to the kids in the village that I will be staying in. I'm not too worried about the cost of lugging it there, it'll pay for itself when I see the joy of the kids.

The only problem is that I don't have fins for this board, or a bag to get it there!

So I'm putting the call out to the Realsurf clan, does anyone have any unused FCS fins or a bag they're willing to put to the cause?

I'll definitely be getting photos should this come to fruition!
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

Animal_Chin
Local

Re: Charity fins for Vanuatu

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:40 am

My mate Eddie has a bag for you.
Attachments
502743-120302-myatt.jpg

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 am

loofy wrote:Never quite Understood the logic in encouraging locals to surf and potentially ruining the potential of uncrowded surf holidays.
Yeah right, imagine if Duke Kahanamoku had thought that way.

Never quite understood how you could put your holiday ahead of stoking out a bunch of kids. Actually I take that back. I understand it exactly.

haysie if you are serious about this gimme a PM.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:11 am

Haysie, I can't understand why you just wouldn't take a functioning surfboard and go surfing, leaving it for the kids when you leave.

You'll mostly find small fun reefbreaks, barring a rare direct SSE groundy.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:19 am

loofy wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
loofy wrote:Never quite Understood the logic in encouraging locals to surf and potentially ruining the potential of uncrowded surf holidays.
Yeah right, imagine if Duke Kahanamoku had thought that way.

Never quite understood how you could put your holiday ahead of stoking out a bunch of kids. Actually I take that back. I understand it exactly.

haysie if you are serious about this gimme a PM.
Biter.... :lol: :lol: Onya Nick, get sand in your vag this morning??
:oops: :lol:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Hey Nick care to donate a couple of boards to my 2013 late season Hawaii trip? Looking for a couple of boards in the 7'2 range. They will go to a great cause. A couple of AB channel bottoms would be fine :idea:

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 pm

haysie, the kids at pango village have a small shop/clubhouse thing going. i went over there 6yrs ago, almost gave my spare board to the chef where i stayed, but its my all time fav, so it still sits in the rack at home. i reckon lets get this thing happening. i got a 6'3 in good nick ill send over, i reckon nick would have a board or two. who else has stuff to send? those kids are stoked on surfing and have fark all else to do and come from poor homes.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:57 pm

send my best

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:09 am

Are the brush turkeys and early morning coffee on Hastings getting to you Fong? Why so cynical? :lol:
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:09 am

reginald wrote:you can have one of these, as long as you pay postage.

I wouldn't wish that shit on anybody

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Shouldn't we encourage them to go finless on alias. Then they can make them themselves.
Send a few adzes over.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:18 pm

be keen to help out for sure...actually gave the groms over there a foamy when my step[dad went about 2 years ago, it was only a foamy but still would have been fun for them I reckon...apparently the grom who scored it first paddled out with no fins in it yet and plastic still wrapped around it...so they are already going finless...maybe PM me and I might be able to get something to you to take...I also know a guy who has a ding reapir business who may be able to help with somethin.... 8)

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:27 am

so yeah Haysie, how did this go?

I sent you a set of fins. Most interested to see the photos of the kids who got the board etc.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:so yeah Haysie, how did this go?

I sent you a set of fins. Most interested to see the photos of the kids who got the board etc.

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:56 pm

Cashies? Who do you take me for? :x

I put them on gumtree. More profit that way! :lol:

The trip ended up going ahead, but without rasing the amount of support we were hoping for. Ended up going in a different capacity (With no-where near as much water time as I would have hoped!)

Dropped into NC's local the other day while on the Northern Beaches and was finally able to return his fins to him, unfortunately not in person but I'm hoping the SLSC was good enough to pass them on.

Also, apologies for raising an old thread but I figure Fong gets away with this sh*t all the time so I'm in the clear! (geek)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Dont worry. If you use fongster as a benchmark you can't go wrong.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?