Michael Peterson dead...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Michael Peterson dead...

Post by daryl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:45 am

collnarra wrote:yes. you are missing something. I can only speak from personal experience - everyone who has a serious mental illness has a unique experience - but if it wasn't for powerful psychotropics, I'd probably be dead. At the very minimum I'd be so non-functional for large stretches of time that I'd be unable to hold down a full time job, be responsible for my kids and so on. I'd probably be spending a lot more time in psych hospitals.

And unfortunately, the side effects of taking an antipsychotic like zyprexa is that you put on weight. It interferes with your motor skills. It makes you fuzzy and sleepy, which is why I have to take it at night. I've tried virtually every antipsychotic in the book, from abilify to lithium to zyprexa, and the latter, in combination with cymbalta, is the only thing that works for me.

To blithely say "cut down on the meds" isn't a valid choice for many people. That's where your ignorance lies.
I'm sorry. i am on so many lethal drugs for other conditions with their own shitty physical health effects thaT DESPITE HAVING SOME MILD hence lucky, very lucky mania issues, don't feel physically capable of shoving any more toxic drugs in my system.

I apologize, not meaning to shove it down your throat, and Im not a mental health professional and obviously had no right to make that remark. I take it back if possible.

I am closely acquainted with apparently milder cases, including my now dead twin, yes she should have not stopped taking the drugs, and no I didn't contribute to her decisions, she was extremely strong willed.

Other close family and acquaintances appear to do well without, so they're just lucky to have that choice, they might unlike my twin and MP live longer and just remain a menace to all around.

Had a fair few convos with schizophrenic people and others, so reconsidering I say we're both being harsh, as you say it's not all the same for everyone. There are some people I'd rather lived longer, some not.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Well, I can tell you about my recent experience. Late last year, during a particular up period, I decided, unilaterally, that I was going to stop taking medication. Cold turkey. And so I did. I got physically ill for a week or so, and then had a month of feeling great.

Then the world came crashing down. I had a psychotic episode, and was on the verge of being hospitalised. My ex wife told me, in no uncertain terms, to get me to my psychiatrist, pronto. Which I did.

The result was back on the meds. It took a month to feel any better, and in amongst this I had to hold down a reasonably responsible job, have access to my kids and be functional for them.

The thing about medication is that it doesn't stop the bad stuff. It just dulls the really bad stuff. I still have days where I find it very hard to function. And I still have days where I do and say things I shouldn't. I find it hard to manage my finances and to look after myself properly. It's not easy, but I don't want to be a victim of my illness.

And the thing about bipolar is that you can never win. You might have a detente, or even a temporary ceasefire. But you will never win.

Josh
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Fcuk mate that is heavy,
all the best.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Yes, the all or nothing approach is not such a good idea.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Yeah good on ya Josh, you're showing a lot of courage in all this

had a mate write to me saying thanks for a web story on MP but what did I actually feel about it

What I feel, MP was such a part of my graduation as a surfer from Coolite grom to long haired vicious single fin surfing punk that I can't separate the two. His animal surfing style bled right through my whole peer group, Cheyne, Ross Marshall, Engel, Craig Walgers, Russell Lewis, Steve Wilson, TC, we all thought he was the best and watching the video clips that've been surfacing over the past 24hrs, we were right. The truth is that era passed quite a while ago now, but MP's passing now feels like it has put the seal on a whole period in Australian surfing, a time we now know we'll never see again. I think if we're all feeling sad at the moment then it's really because of that, being forced to part with a piece of our own lives, not so much because Mick finally karked it -- he'd been sick for a long time and it was bound to happen.

I've been going through a bit of a transition with my own connection to surfing for a while now so I actually don't feel too ripped up over it, more sort of freed of something in a way. I can see clearly what a great time that was and honour it in my own head I guess. There's beautiful little waves in Syd right now and I've had a couple of surfs in memory of MP and his effects on me and my peer group, the sessions felt amazingly clean and liberating and I felt a really deep connection with the sport and everything it's meant to me.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Reckon we all have some experiences dealing with mental illness. Some directly and some whose loved ones are, or have been, afflicted. It's difficult for everyone involved, but I think we're getting better - at both understanding and accepting. For those of you in here openly discussing your mental health problems, I salute you. I also hope that some great advances are made in a short time so that your respective lives become easier

Whilst here I also acknowledge the great Michael Peterson. Really was something special
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Just got in from a surf at The Pass. There was bloke with long hair, mid 20's to 30's, surfing a simon jones MOTE replica, single fin diamond tail. He was ripping.

What a nostalgic feeling it was.

Single fin heaven!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:54 pm

daryl wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:I just watched the vid, what a woman his mum was, the unsung hero in the tragic tale of michael peterson.
stfu

What the hell daryl, anyone who dedicates themselves to the wellbeing of someone with the mental health issues that micheal had when he wasnt diagnosed to when he was and lived with his mum for the rest of his life is a absolute hero, to tell me to stfu shows absolute ignorance to the hard job his mother commited herself to do. So Daz, pull ya head in wanker. :evil:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:00 pm

^
It's been about Mick's mum for what, 30 years?

Bury him as someone who deserved 100%

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:17 pm

daryl wrote:^
It's been about Mick's mum for what, 30 years?

Bury him as someone who deserved 100%
stfu :evil:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Hadn't seen that footage of him at Sunset(I guess). That bit even impressed junior who kind of gets the MP thing a bit but theres a bit of yeh dad..

I read the rave in the herald and found the idea of dieing and finding MP to be god is a frightening and gothic concept. Its funny with all the hulls and seventies style boards around his skill is probably much more appreciated now than it would have been 10 years ago.

As far as Mick's mum goes your both talking about someone you don't know so stfu.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:36 pm

I think the medication made him sensitive to sunlight as well.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:17 pm

I expect his mum is only grieving,
not thinking about
what she did for him.

Tragic. Smash up the break, then pump the psychoanalytic blame drugs into him. Shame.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:00 pm

beanpiles and
'digger',

I know a few mum's with dead sons, one mum is dead and the other is still alive, so looking at both sides,
it's about someone who's dead, not his mum.

It is about her son, who is dead not about her AT ALL

Are you both mentally R E T A R D E D ?

Rest in peace mate.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:28 pm

psychoanalytic blame drugs? I still don't know where you're coming from here, Daz.

I've said every mental illness sufferer is unique. As my psych says: "patients don't walk into your office out of the pages of a diagnosis manual." (the manual in question is DSM IV, for those who are interested).

I've also said how the drugs have helped me. They also have major side effects. But what's better? Being alive, being able to appreciate your children as they grow, and being able to be a taxpaying, contributing member of the community? Or topping yourself?? Yes, sometimes the choices are that stark.

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

I don't know what the situation was with your twin. You've never adequately, or clearly, explained it. But you need to be clear in this discussion about exactly what you're trying to say.

JG
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes psychoanalytic blame drugs, go figure it out.
Start another thread if you want a discussion on mental health,
leave the guy alone.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:33 pm

You're not getting out of here until you buy me the schooner that's been owed since 1998 Glider - I keep records you know.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:54 pm

I made an irrelevant comment last night about another dead legend and I'm sorry. Can this thread please get back to the fact that MP is gone. Please.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole