Michael Peterson dead...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: Michael Peterson dead...

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 pm

captian, if yourve still got that link or know the link to searching for mp could you post that hear, as it has some awesome clips of the great man surfing, but jee, he was a fallible bloke wasnt he.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:50 pm

steve shearer wrote:Sure Digger.

The hypocrisy rankles is all.
Thanks mate

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Digger the whole movie is up on the SMH site.
here: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/heart-attac ... 1vzxu.html
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Thats the one, man that bloke could ride couldnt he, if you look at what he was riding and what he did on the boards, its just mind boggling

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:03 pm

steve shearer wrote:DR was the first guy to put out the dengue fever BS Jimmy.

Now read this and tell me he didn't know just a tad more than that at the time.

http://www.watoday.com.au/opinion/socie ... 1t5yz.html

Reilly knew more than anyone about AI's drug problems and not only kept silent but actively propagated complete BS.
Not surprising I spose considering STAB was or is sponnoed by Bong.

Guess he's free to talk candidly about MP's drug problems though.
Funny that.
Reilly didn't know quite as much as Blair or Kai mate. They were in the box seat to save AI but didn't for whatever reason. I'm sorry to go over old ground but many people with info decided to keep quiet.

DR is a self serving knob who will come across in his articles as someone who cares. What absolute BS.

At the end of the day everyone knew about AI and his problems and we know there are tools to help someone overcome their demons yet he wasn't allowed to "Go Public" as he wanted to do.His clip from "I surf because" was testament to his acknowledgment of said demons.

If DR or BM or KG were really Andy's mates they would have been there for him rather than basking in the glory of being "The Champs" mate. And letting him die alone.

In regards to MP. Today we lost a legend and I can honestly say I shed a tear when I heard the news.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 pm

And sorry Digger. Today just brought up a lot of memories for me. I'll do you a deal. If you stop posting about how bad your back is and your morphine problems on FB I'll stop posting about... Well whatever you want.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:14 pm

jimmy wrote:And sorry Digger. Today just brought up a lot of memories for me. I'll do you a deal. If you stop posting about how bad your back is and your morphine problems on FB I'll stop posting about... Well whatever you want.
:lol: :lol: Trouble is I aint got much else to talk about :lol: :lol:

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:18 pm

No, heck he sounded like The Man.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:01 pm

A sad day for his family, but at least he was a survivor (albeit for a brief time). You can diagnose anything, but accepting treatment is a whole new story altogether.
RIP MP - thanks for doing what you did.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:23 pm

I just watched the vid, what a woman his mum was, the unsung hero in the tragic tale of michael peterson.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 pm

diggerdickson wrote:I just watched the vid, what a woman his mum was, the unsung hero in the tragic tale of michael peterson.
stfu

sanded

Post by sanded » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks MP! you inspired a nation, the ultimate freak who has never been surpassed (sorry Kelly)....
sanded.com.au - Australian surfboard design hub

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:33 am

Sad isn't it.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:59 am

I'm writing something on this at the moment. Just trying to figure out who to pitch it to.

The precis is that people with serious mental health problems generally have life expectancies 20 years lower than the rest of the population. This is on par with the indigenous population, by way of comparison.

This isn't because people with serious mental health problems top themselves (although they do). It's because of chronic health problems. MP was a case in point. As far as I can tell, he'd been relatively clean for the last two decades or so. But he was on powerful psychotropics, one of the side effects of which is weight gain. And from weight gain you get diabetes and cardiovascular disease. And those things lead to heart attacks and strokes. MP was 59. He should have had a few good years left in him. But he had diabetes, probably had CV disease, and ultimately died of a heart attack before his time.

I have a vested interest. I have bipolar (MP was schizophrenic, but many of the medicines used to treat it are similar) and have struggled with weight, fitness etc, along with the challenges associated with the illness itself. Does this mean I've got another 20 years at best?

Josh
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:12 am

collnarra wrote:I'm writing something on this at the moment. Just trying to figure out who to pitch it to.

The precis is that people with serious mental health problems generally have life expectancies 20 years lower than the rest of the population. This is on par with the indigenous population, by way of comparison.

This isn't because people with serious mental health problems top themselves (although they do). It's because of chronic health problems. MP was a case in point. As far as I can tell, he'd been relatively clean for the last two decades or so. But he was on powerful psychotropics, one of the side effects of which is weight gain. And from weight gain you get diabetes and cardiovascular disease. And those things lead to heart attacks and strokes. MP was 59. He should have had a few good years left in him. But he had diabetes, probably had CV disease, and ultimately died of a heart attack before his time.

I have a vested interest. I have bipolar (MP was schizophrenic, but many of the medicines used to treat it are similar) and have struggled with weight, fitness etc, along with the challenges associated with the illness itself. Does this mean I've got another 20 years at best?

Josh
One option could be to weigh physical health on the scales more, against mental health, to bring them in balance on a fairer basis, to yourself. In memory of...

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:15 am

That's an ignorant comment Daryl.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:20 am

collnarra wrote:That's an ignorant comment Daryl.
Sorry Collnarra, but I don't understand where you'r ecoming from.

I understand the importance of meds in mental health, I also realize how dangerous to your health they can be, as you were discussing in relation to MP RIP.

My suggestion is to reduce the meds at risk of your mental health, to counteract the effects on your physical health.

Have I missed something?

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:34 am

yes. you are missing something. I can only speak from personal experience - everyone who has a serious mental illness has a unique experience - but if it wasn't for powerful psychotropics, I'd probably be dead. At the very minimum I'd be so non-functional for large stretches of time that I'd be unable to hold down a full time job, be responsible for my kids and so on. I'd probably be spending a lot more time in psych hospitals.

And unfortunately, the side effects of taking an antipsychotic like zyprexa is that you put on weight. It interferes with your motor skills. It makes you fuzzy and sleepy, which is why I have to take it at night. I've tried virtually every antipsychotic in the book, from abilify to lithium to zyprexa, and the latter, in combination with cymbalta, is the only thing that works for me.

To blithely say "cut down on the meds" isn't a valid choice for many people. That's where your ignorance lies.