Surfin big waves is easier than

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Surfin big waves is easier than

Post by Grooter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:43 am

Ringmaster wrote:Should increase the odds of the waves pumping for the last half of April (and beyond) with the pro tour and hangers on long gone with memories of a shit holiday and vowing not to come back.............
We live in hope
crustt wrote:Hope it pumps for Easter and just keeps on pumping, Like it used too, The last time we had a month of straight waves between 4 & 10 foot in Vicco was May 2000, used to be a given 20+ years ago. So I'll be happy to take it Easter crowds and all, as long as it's clean.

Probably one of things that puts you guys off the cold is you never have a good wetsuit when you venture down south, which is understandable as your not going to shell out top dollar for a you beaut wettie for a couple of weeks.
I love me booties :wink:
I love my hood as well.

This reminds me I need a new winter wetty. E-Bomb or F-Bomb, decisions, decisions...
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:51 am

Xcel ... the best 4/5 out there, Dog rooter.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:34 am

one becomes amused when warm water surfers like advise cold water surfers on,wettys
:lol:
that is all
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:40 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:one becomes amused when warm water surfers like advise cold water surfers on,wettys
:lol:
that is all

Hey, I've lived in plenty of cold areas growing up. Tassie and Vicco. Dad travelled around like a gypsy until I was in high school!

Xcel was the best combination of warmth, flexibility and durability I ever used.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:01 am

nuffink ngo wrote:
Advice from knowledge gained in primary school?
Well no. I didn't get my first Xcel until I was 18 or maybe 19. Just pointing out to Fong that while my current address is in warm water, it doesn't mean I haven't surfed cold water before, let alone recently.

The two X-cel's I have now, are so much superior than the Rip Curl I have, and yet they're 2-3 years older.

Surfed Victoria in early winter 2007 and North Island enzed the year before in X-cels. There's a chance by the end of the financial year my address will be back in the coldest waters in Oz. Where I will be wearing X-cels ;)
Kunji wrote:

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:13 am

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/

Check this site Groots. Mate just got a 4/3 E bomb. Can't remember if it's 190 dollars or pounds. Prob pounds, but a whole lot less than $600 + here. They ship to Aust no worries and he got the suit in 4 days
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:19 am

Come clean Vic, how does it feel after struggling in that 4/3 and the hunched over cold making you feel old with all those niggly aches and pains to slip off the side of the boat in the Maldives into that warm blue water which embraces you like a sheet of silk.

Doesn't your body immediately relax and go ahhhhhhhhh.......don't you feel 20 years younger....

And be honest....it takes a while when you get home to suit up for that first go-out in cold water again doesn't it?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:25 am

steve shearer wrote:Come clean Vic, how does it feel after struggling in that 4/3 and the hunched over cold making you feel old with all those niggly aches and pains to slip off the side of the boat in the Maldives into that warm blue water which embraces you like a sheet of silk.

Doesn't your body immediately relax and go ahhhhhhhhh.......don't you feel 20 years younger....

And be honest....it takes a while when you get home to suit up for that first go-out in cold water again doesn't it?
1. It feels fcuken glorious

2. Yes, but prob just 10 yrs younger

3. No, but when I get home after being warmed by the tropics, it takes me longer to go the 3/2 than those who did the whole winter

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:38 am

It's a pretty simple physiological equation.

The bodies response to cold is to shiver, contract, draw blood away from the extremities to the internals.....all things that make it harder to surf. Especially well.

In warmth, blood flows to the limbs, skin etc etc. Muscles relax. It's easier to get oxygen to working muscles and the brain.

You feel more when it's warm. Thats why women prefer to be in bikinis and not dressed in bear coats.

Full credit to cold water warriors.......but fcuk that noise.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49 am

In the depths of winter I wear a 4/3, booties and a hooded vest. I can stay in the water for 3 hrs. The hooded vest added an hour, but I do feel a bit disconnected when I wear it. Despite all the rubber, mid Autumn through to mid spring is when the waves really turn on down here. It's mostly uncrowded and you know you're alive. I fcuken love it

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 pm

swvic wrote:https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/

Check this site Groots. Mate just got a 4/3 E bomb. Can't remember if it's 190 dollars or pounds. Prob pounds, but a whole lot less than $600 + here. They ship to Aust no worries and he got the suit in 4 days
Cheers mate I'll check it out
swvic wrote:In the depths of winter I wear a 4/3, booties and a hooded vest. I can stay in the water for 3 hrs. The hooded vest added an hour, but I do feel a bit disconnected when I wear it. Despite all the rubber, mid Autumn through to mid spring is when the waves really turn on down here. It's mostly uncrowded and you know you're alive. I fcuken love it
+1

Sitting out on the board, watching the storms roll in off Bass Strait, big waves, uncrowded lineups - can't beat it.

I think the extremes your body faces surfing in winter, from nail-biting cold, powerful waves, the drive home with the heater on full blast, gives you a rush of adrenaline that makes it addictive. As swvic says, you know you're alive, and I think that is because the extremes of those experiences you face give you so much more of a "buzz" than you get surfing in summer.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 pm

It is very hard living down here, it's fickle, cold and uninviting. It's the hoax coast, there is a reason why it's not crowded, cause most of the time it's just not quite right , which is the name of my favorite break (it's code name anyway) It's a laugh when you talk to traveling surfers and they say the coast has so much potential(that's all it got), but occasionally we get thrown a bone , and usually it is one the surf forecasters miss.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:07 pm

crustt wrote:It is very hard living down here, it's fickle, cold and uninviting. It's the hoax coast, there is a reason why it's not crowded, cause most of the time it's just not quite right , which is the name of my favorite break (it's code name anyway) It's a laugh when you talk to traveling surfers and they say the coast has so much potential(that's all it got), but occasionally we get thrown a bone , and usually it is one the surf forecasters miss.
Christ you're a negative bastard!

If you hate it so much, move. Or stop surfing it. Either way stop bloody whinging.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Whats the water temp like down there now A Chin?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:17 pm

I've been flirting with the idea of surfing Kodiak...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:
crustt wrote:It is very hard living down here, it's fickle, cold and uninviting. It's the hoax coast, there is a reason why it's not crowded, cause most of the time it's just not quite right , which is the name of my favorite break (it's code name anyway) It's a laugh when you talk to traveling surfers and they say the coast has so much potential(that's all it got), but occasionally we get thrown a bone , and usually it is one the surf forecasters miss.
Christ you're a negative bastard!

If you hate it so much, move. Or stop surfing it. Either way stop bloody whinging.
I think he's using reverse psychology.
Guess it doen't work on you. :(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:28 pm

steve shearer wrote:Whats the water temp like down there now A Chin?
16.7 degrees at Warrnambool on Monday morning. I know because I was collecting data with a properly calibrated instrument

Eastern side of Cape Otway (Bells) probably a tad warmer. Get those webs out of your steamer, Steve. I'll be in the 4/3 within weeks

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Aussie Rules, cold water, no barrels and chicks wearing bear jackets........is there a need to scare people away ?

for anyone Victorian offended by these remarks please tap me on the shoulder before cold ckocking me. :lol: