Bong in big trouble

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Bong in big trouble

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:58 am

Braithy wrote:
saltman wrote:
Rates are based on unimproved value of land so its hard to see how the size and cost of your neighbours pad would have a substantial effect on your rates.
Is this australian legislation? ie can individual councils add or subtract to rates as they see fit? RD was adamant, the recent building of the palace had everything to do with his current problem.
No, they can't, see my post above.

Saltman, the unimproved values are based on market values, so the rates for the mansion would be higher, but as an outlier they wouldn't have much (if any) effect on the neighbouring properties.
Plus, I think you'll find that $15 million dollars is not worth nearly as much now.

saucy gibbon
barnacle

Post by saucy gibbon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:15 am

Wingnut wrote:
skipper wrote: What about Smorgasboarder  as an example 
of contemporary grass rootsness. ? Relevant, informative,  knowing to its readers  needs and expectations.... what else? Oh yeah  it's free man.
I really don't give a crap if the surf industry folds, as long as I can still buy a wetsuit and a board from my local shaper...
I hope it happens

surf comps, surf clothing, surf movies, magazines - it's all crapola, piss it all off, it's only there to make a dollar

and yes i'm aware that with out some of these elements i wouldnt be riding the board i am now or using the wettie i am now

but they are good enuff, i need no more development
Uni is not the real world.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am

saltman wrote:You won't see anyone working in Bong head office wearing a suit
Yeah, turn of phrase
Wingnut wrote:I like where you are going with grassroots skipper but...Smorgasboarder...Really? :shock:

It's no different to many of the mags on the market today, other than being free...little reading content with substance, numerous ads and entrepreneur's sprucing their getaways under the pretence of appealing to surfers!
Yes, the layout is very similar to the publications left lying around hotel rooms etc., but it does give the smaller players access to the market. And, to be honest, some of the advertised product in there is more desirable to me than stuff I see in the established magazines. The same as it was before the big boys had grown up
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:34 am

They'll still keep pulling in the bucks from the real donkeys i.e. non surfers who want to look like surfers. I still contrast it all with O & E.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:44 am

saucy gibbon wrote:I hope it happens

surf comps, surf clothing, surf movies, magazines - it's all crapola, piss it all off, it's only there to make a dollar

and yes i'm aware that with out some of these elements i wouldnt be riding the board i am now or using the wettie i am now

Unless you surf at (or just a tad below) pro standard, you may in fact be riding a better board for you. There was a pile of innovative stuff going on way before the refinement of the refinement of the refinement of the HPS. Bit of a renaissance going on in that department in recent years. Who knows where it would have been by now had it continued unabated
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:46 am

swvic wrote:
Wingnut wrote:I like where you are going with grassroots skipper but...Smorgasboarder...Really? :shock:

It's no different to many of the mags on the market today, other than being free...little reading content with substance, numerous ads and entrepreneur's sprucing their getaways under the pretence of appealing to surfers!
Yes, the layout is very similar to the publications left lying around hotel rooms etc., but it does give the smaller players access to the market. And, to be honest, some of the advertised product in there is more desirable to me than stuff I see in the established magazines. The same as it was before the big boys had grown up
Absolutely agree. Smorgasboarder's ads are much more interesting to me because they are mostly from smaller businesses and I find the whole mag very readable.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:57 am

Trev wrote:
swvic wrote:

Absolutely agree. Smorgasboarder's ads are much more interesting to me because they are mostly from smaller businesses and I find the whole mag very readable.
Fair enough...good point.

saucy gibbon
barnacle

Post by saucy gibbon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
Braithy wrote:
saucy gibbon wrote: I hope it happens

Bang on gobbler. My sentiments exactly. See what happens if you stop rapaciously smoking pole, look up, clear your throat and bother to think? Something other than a mindless cheap shot appears. Given up for lent?
cheers !!

Always looking to learn from the experienced

Thanks to SS, 1,2,3

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:28 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Braithy wrote:
saltman wrote:
Rates are based on unimproved value of land so its hard to see how the size and cost of your neighbours pad would have a substantial effect on your rates.
Is this australian legislation? ie can individual councils add or subtract to rates as they see fit? RD was adamant, the recent building of the palace had everything to do with his current problem.
No, they can't, see my post above.

Saltman, the unimproved values are based on market values, so the rates for the mansion would be higher, but as an outlier they wouldn't have much (if any) effect on the neighbouring properties.
Plus, I think you'll find that $15 million dollars is not worth nearly as much now.
Ah shit. I missed your post completely. Cheers
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Time for another realsurf fundraiser?

C'mon.....lets get bong out trouble, pay gordons rates and protect carrol and braithys childhood idols

Im in for ten :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Since we're talking Tom Curren, I'm in for $200.
Kunji wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Ah, you're a soft touch, Fong. Warms my heart.

Thought you were broke, Braithy, hence the offloading of boards?

saucy gibbon
barnacle

Post by saucy gibbon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:08 pm

no it's a case of WWJD

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:14 pm

alakaboo wrote:Ah, you're a soft touch, Fong. Warms my heart.

Thought you were broke, Braithy, hence the offloading of boards?
Nah, I'm alright. I'm space poor. Can't keep a quiver of more than 3 boards without storing them all over town at mate's places. And that never ends well.
Kunji wrote:

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm

uncle gordons palace-----rates are calculated on UNIMPROVED land value.......uncle gordons is built on 2 blocks. top row[dahlberg street] angourie rates were approx $ 3800 per annum prior to gordy building his abode,much the same now.........did rod really say that about his BEST mate ? top row pacific st angourie gov valuations have dropped lots since 2009,that year they were pushing 1.2 mill------currently $850k ..on average they are 540m2 ? lots of talk on gordon buying huge parcels of subdividable land in the area. yes he has but not to develop..........but to slow down development .......while he's still breathing it will never get built on........some estimate those land costs to be around 20mill.......... on ya gordy for slowing it down and trying to keep the country ,country..
Last edited by gabsouy on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:59 pm

if rod dahlberg can not afford his angourie rates then perhaps he should sell his gold coast rental unit.........his body corp fees on THAT are only alittle less than his angas rates ..........???????.

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:48 pm

bbg last price $2.91..............last fridays opening price $1.77...........

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:58 pm

that spike has nothing to do with anything other tahn short sellers trying to cash in on the spike created by the TPG offer.
or simply put, some with spare cash wanting to make a quick buck and hoping TPG get up at $3bucks + so they can sell out, shows Bong are a playtool for gamblers and surfing or any connection to it in terms of value has just evaporated.
What pisses me off is that our culture and lifestyle has become a thing of sheer money games by wanker bankers and greedy pricks who would rather see every beach policed by their clubby mates who they sponsor for ocean swims, rubber duckies and fcukin surf boats with their corporate logos emblazened down each side as the mow the groms down in the shorebreak.
Steady on there Nick, yeah i saw the shot of you decked in dickhead cap and competing for Newport SLSC, your excuse is to maintain surf fitness, but if ya ever spotted as rowing crew mate, you are fcukin going down. At least the didge ( yes Midget is a boat sweep) has an excuse as he went awol from the core decades ago