Bong in big trouble

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Bong in big trouble

Post by alakaboo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:We get an inflated sense of numbers these days thanks to a media-driven focus on a few high profile breaks which draw crowds out of all proportion to the true number of surfers in the overall population.

By contrast, at my home beach there's less hardcore surfers than there were in 1979.
Less? Maybe Saucy is right.

I regularly surf alone on the Gold Coast, almost always on the Sunshine Coast. Only surfed with other people about 5 times this year, 3 times by choice.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:08 pm

my experience is mostly different to that, boo:.
My fourteen year old son and all his mates are frothing grommets: taking off on anything, trying everything , loving every minute of it. hooked. = massive new customer base

my nineteen year old taught 'surf lessons' to all manner of appallingly hopeless landlocked punters all summer to make coin to help out with uni.= more customers, more cashed up and more clueless easy pickins..

Still have all the boomers, gen x's gen y's, sup'ers, kite surfers, goatboaters.
it ain't slowing down 'round here. not one bit.

that said, I still know places where the surf is good and the crowds are thin.

for now. but they're fewer
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Boo might be onto something in metro areas where land prices are high.
Where I am there is no shortage of kids getting into surfing (sth coast). Access to beaches is easier.

re. Kuznets. Not sure if there will be a tipping point so that surf numbers drop off as land values increase though - still people there...maybe average working hours?
the dreams that stuff was made of

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Is that in the Census stats map?

This isn't something I want to spend days on...

A suite of independent variables would probably help; commuting time, hours worked, income, kids/household, age etc.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:34 pm

Happened in Bondi 10 years ago. There were Bodyboarders but that newer wave of foamy riding seems to have generated more young stand ups. Theres actually more grommets about than there was then I reckon.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:04 pm

so billabong were selling their stuff cheap at the Newcastle showgrounds on the weekend.
cant be too good for shareholder confidence.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Dicky Beach
Grommet

Post by Dicky Beach » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 pm

In the interest of maintaining this site's halo with regard everything potentially controversial, especially such things as swear words being seen via links from the main page, it must be noted that in no way do the allegations against Perrin contain any implication or inference of corporate malfeasance by the company he is noted in said news article to have been formally involved with in a senior capacity, and it is a complete brainfart by mein fuhrermoderatormeister to have linked such confusing material to whence it may be viewed through obscure linkages from the main page. Yours sincerely, the foil hat surfy media type happy joy joy people like myself.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:03 pm

steve shearer wrote:Be interested whether it doubles in the established regions : Aus/USA etc etc .

Already there seems to have been a carrying capacity reached at alot of breaks and despite more dabblers I'm not sure that equal numbers of young people are really picking up surfing for life.

It amazed me when I was on the Northern Beaches recently : I saw hardly any young surfers. It was like an old peoples home and anecdotal evidence suggested that even offspring of lifetime core surfers weren't taking up surfing.
They do other things now.

That could be significant.

Maybe the number of committed surfers has leveled off in the Aus/USA arena.

I see a cadre of hardcore kids around here surfing, but I'm more amazed at the number of young people around here who don't surf.
I surf the dawno most surfs, and i almost NEVER see young blokes in the surf. Its an event if i do. Maybe they surf after school, but early morning, almost never. I find that odd, as i have always been an early riser, but as a kid, by breakfast time i'd been at the BMX track for an hour with all the other kids.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:47 pm

Beerfan wrote:
steve shearer wrote:Be interested whether it doubles in the established regions : Aus/USA etc etc .

Already there seems to have been a carrying capacity reached at alot of breaks and despite more dabblers I'm not sure that equal numbers of young people are really picking up surfing for life.

It amazed me when I was on the Northern Beaches recently : I saw hardly any young surfers. It was like an old peoples home and anecdotal evidence suggested that even offspring of lifetime core surfers weren't taking up surfing.
They do other things now.

That could be significant.

Maybe the number of committed surfers has leveled off in the Aus/USA arena.

I see a cadre of hardcore kids around here surfing, but I'm more amazed at the number of young people around here who don't surf.
I surf the dawno most surfs, and i almost NEVER see young blokes in the surf. Its an event if i do. Maybe they surf after school, but early morning, almost never. I find that odd, as i have always been an early riser, but as a kid, by breakfast time i'd been at the BMX track for an hour with all the other kids.
Come visit Ann St. They come in packs. But TBH that's probably about the only spot on the south end of the coast where you see lots of them.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:57 pm

There's a big Billabong clothing sale at Parklea Markets (Blacktown) on the weekend according to ad's on the radio. Interesting place for a Billabong sale. Targeting a new market maybe?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:59 pm

new market? more like core demographic.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Lucky Al wrote:new market? more like core demographic.
Probably right. A lot of boganised cars have Billabong stickers.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Billabong shares halted after 18% fall

Published 1:32 PM, 4 Oct 2012 Last update 2:24 PM, 4 Oct 2012
inShare

QUICK SUMMARY | FULL STORY | RETAIL

By a staff reporter

Billabong International Holdings Ltd shares have been placed in a trading halt after plunging in early afternoon trade, following media reports private equity firm TPG is considering formally withdrawing from the surfwear giant's sale process.

Billabong shares lost over 18 per cent to $1.075 in afternoon trade before the company requested its stock cease trading until it had made an announcement responding to the media speculation.

In a statement to the market, the surfwear retailer said it would would remain in a trading halt until making the announcement or the commencement of normal trade on Monday, October 8.

Billabong opened the session at $1.31, before hitting as high as $1.325 in morning trade.

The Australian Financial Review reported sources close to the deal saying private equity firm TPG was reconsidering its $1.45 per share offer for Billabong.

Last month, shares in Billabong suffered a similar fall after the company announced an unnamed suitor that made an additional takeover bid had abandoned its offer.

Media reports at the time suggested the interested party was Bain Capital, the private equity group co-founded by United States Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.
inShare

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:38 pm

changing by the minute...full high-wire act on Bongs future
TPG bid still on the table: Billabong
Date
October 4, 2012 - 5:31PM
Read later

Colin Kruger
Business Reporter
View more articles from Colin Kruger
Email Colin

inShare
Email articlePrintReprints & permissions
Billabong has confirmed TPG has not withdrawn its bid for the troubled surf brand, but has expressed some concerns as part of its due diligence effort.

Shares in troubled retailer Billabong were halted following a plunge in the wake of a media report suggesting private equity firm TPG may pull the plug on its $1.45 a share bid.

In a statement to the ASX this evening Billabong said TPG has confirmed that it has not withdrawn from the sales process but admitted that as part of its due diligence the private equity firm had ‘‘expressed some concerns in relation to some issues’’ without specifying what the issues where.

The surf clothing retailer had received a bid from TPG in July, which valued the firm at about $695 million, but which the company said undervalued the company.

Advertisement
The Australian Financial Review reported on its website that TPG was concerned with some of the issues it had discovered during its due diligence on Billabong.

Within minutes of the news breaking, Billabong's shares plunged 30 cents, or 22.8 per cent, to $1.015. They soon climbed back to $1.075 before trading in the shares was halted, pending the ASX announcement.

City Index chief market analyst Peter Esho said Billabong may have been too optimistic in their assumptions in the guidance it provided to TPG.

"There was never really a formal bid on the table and given the absence of break fees and costs (outlined), TPG not proceeding wouldn't surprise me at all," he said.

Also, in the current climate, TPG may be able to find other opportunities to focus on that made a Billabong buy-out less attractive, said Mr Esho.

Before today, shares in Billabong had been hammered as retail sales struggled while its multi-brand strategy left it in a difficult position for competition in the sector.

Last month, rival private equity group Bain Capital stepped into the fray, offering a similar amount as TPG, but it dropped out of the bidding two weeks ago.

Rival surfwear company Rip Curl said last month it had received unsolicited approaches from several international companies wanting to invest in the privately held firm, in a deal that could fetch up to $480 million.

with Chris Zappone

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/tpg-bid- ... z28JkaVYgS

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:43 pm

BA wrote:There's a big Billabong clothing sale at Parklea Markets (Blacktown) on the weekend according to ad's on the radio. Interesting place for a Billabong sale. Targeting a new market maybe?
One day until some really cool surfie gear goes on sale people. Don't miss out. Be the coolest surfie at your local pool in your brand new threads. Yee-haw!

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Fck the Aussie Bogan is well alive on this thread. Wow, how some of us really get our rocks off on watching others fall. A once good Aussie company falls from grace and everyone stands around pulling themselves off over it. The tall poppy syndrome is still alive and well.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Natho wrote:darn the Aussie Bogan is well alive on this thread. Wow, how some of us really get our rocks off on watching others fall. A once good Aussie company falls from grace and everyone stands around pulling themselves off over it. The tall poppy syndrome is still alive and well.
It's a national pasttime Natho.
Too lazy to get of our bums and have a go but plenty of time and effort goes into putting shit on those who do.
Beanpole

Skipper