surf rage. solved. apparently...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Re: surf rage. solved. apparently...

Post by Karlos » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:29 am

Wave pools to donuts to gay cops, all in the blink of an eye.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 am

And Shearer has completely ruined my doughnut nostalgia by bringing the American cliche into it.

What about devon and tomato sauce sandwiches? No cops around them!

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:54 am

Here is an in depth interview with a typical realsurfer on the future of surfing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=771E0aOFS4Q

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:22 pm

Didn't watch all of that, given it was something about dinosaurs I can only assume you're making some brutally perceptive comment about people living in the past because they don't want to see natural things ruined by the unnatural.

So lets get a bit modern and technical with your suggestion, Carvin, and see if there are any other reasons why it might not be a good idea.
carvin marvin wrote:stabilize the sand slug by covering it with something stronger and make it more resistant to the oceans energy, for example 't' shaped pipes (say 12''diameter, 3ft by 3ft) which could be dumped over the sand slug from a barge, the 't' pipes settle on the bottom and interlock randomly to create a strong covering over the sand. Or an even better idea thread the pipes onto some sort of cable like you would thread beads on a string, then lay over the sand slug this would be even more stabilizing. Or an even better idea, apply both methods.
So let's unpack this a bit.
Tubes of 30cm diameter (sorry, had to convert your archaic thinking to metric for easier calculations) with a cumulative length of 183cms.
Volume of a cylinder (Pi x radius squared x height) gives us a volume of approximately 0.13 cubic metres.
I'm going to assume they are made of solid concrete.
Density of concrete, according to Google, is around 2400kg per cubic metre (can vary widely, I just picked a sensible sounding number).

So your concrete tubes would weigh roughly 310kgs.

If you used steel (stainless would probably be best, assume a density of 7750kg/m3) then you're looking at a titch over a tonne.

The sand bags they ended up using at Narrowneck are the size of a bus and weigh between 150 and 300 tonnes, because anything smaller than that was getting damaged or moved.

What's your next idea, enlightened man from the future?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:09 pm

marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:09 pm

plenty of good quality surf breaks have components of bathymetry e,g, rocks that are less than 60 kg,usually all locked together on the inside section. Think about all those deposits at North coast river mouths.Or for a man made version think Avoca Point which was extended when the locals tidied up the debris in the corner to make the pool. Similar situation at Macmasters Beach south end.

Also Crescent Head or Lennox - although boulders here are much Larger and again. at Pinballs in front of the Waimea valley river mouth ( for the most extreme version! :shock: ) The great thing about this type of construction is it allows the wave to draw more water as it sucks up and can create a really bowl-ly shaped tube on the right tide.

Narrowneck needs to be re-explored and fixed, now it has had time to settle and be monitored. It has slowed sand drift to the north but the bathymetry immediately in front of its centre channel needs to be adjusted to produce more consistent quality waves.

In its present form it is at best a work in progress not a finished masterpiece.

8) MD
"I JUST SPENT 6 MONTHS BUYING LEAKY BOATS
2O MILLION BUYING BOATS
GLOBAL WARMINGS CRAP
SO BURNING 'EMS JUST ANOTHER 20 MILLION UP IN SMOKE"
Apologies to Tim Finn

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Braithy wrote:

That's irony, Fongy, and it's delicious.

allow me prepare a main meal :lol: ....i'm on my luch break and tired as looking into a shift that finish in the am....forgive me if my comments are harsh :wink:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Braithy wrote:
And therein lies the myth.

Wave pools won't reduce the crowds when the surf's pumping. Who will pick the pool over the ocean when the waves are good? I can't think of anyone, even in the muppet-rich population of the gold coast.

And when the surf isn't pumping the pools will be crowded as everyone goes looking for their fix.

two points order first....are we talking when the surfs pumping or "forecast" be pumping....cause the two rarely meet

if the surfs been forecast be awesome....myself and many others avoid anything do with it

cause it will be a shitfight....those little inaccurate wave graphs on surf forcast sites actually indicate the level crowd and little else :idea:

so yeah.....if i had choice of perfect snapper with 800 out or a wave pool wave

i'd be grabbing the pool toy :idea: i'll save surfing in the ocean for those any number sneaky swells that slip tho the forecast sites sights....and surf with 1/4 the crowd 8)
Last edited by mustkillmulloway on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Braithy wrote:
The end product will be: People will be becoming better surfers, as the wave pools significantly reduce the learning curve of surfing. It took me the best part of 3 years as a grom to stand & trim on a wave and acquire wave fitness ... with wave pools, expect that take 6 months if you can just rock up and surf whenever you want, and not have to wait for the right conditions.

whats your point :?: it took u three years learn so it's not fair others can learn quicker :?:

stop living in the past :roll:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Braithy wrote:
... and here's Fong, the face of counter-consumerism & how money and pros have spoiled surfing (which, I pretty much agree with, btw ;)) advocating for wave pools. Wave pools, where the sole goal isn't to enrich anyone's surfing experience, but to make money, and a shit-ton of it.

That's irony, Fongy, and it's delicious.

ahhhh...little boxes, little boxes

if u choose label me....than don't complain me if i don't fit in your box :mrgreen:

i'm who i am....maybe a little unstable but like i give a fig....i change my mind, i bait, a good writter will often write from a viewpoint that could be totally at odds with there own personal beliefs :idea:

really...if wave pools mean more waves for more people

why care :?: if u want take the morale high " surfings more a connection too the ocean" b/s line

good on ya :!:

i just want catch waves and surf without dealing with a shitload ego trippers in the progress :wink:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Yeah I hate the ego trippers too. I spend time, money & petrol avoiding them.

Each to their own Fong. Gimme the ocean all day over a pool filled with piss, band aids and all the other crap.

Within a 40 minute drive of snapper you can score all kinds of uncrowded waves in all kinds of nooks, just takes a bit more effort.

I can't help but feel dodging rocks, sharks and whatever else conspires to undo us in the ocean is all part of what makes surfing so bloody special. A pool cheapens it, imo
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:12 pm

cool...i agree...but crowds are a fig.....and if u driving

can i argue the amount carbon your ONE occupent car offsets any environmental care effect
:idea:
i don't see how...by having a wave pool on the goldy...central public transport

is going dimish ANYONES joy of crawling over rocks or driving for a hour "blowinto"someone else local :idea:

i'd love see this argument expand

at how "hardcore"some us are cause we only choose surf in the sea :roll:

build it webber...u know it's a winner :P
Last edited by mustkillmulloway on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:35 pm

ajohnsen wrote:Surfing has to be one of the most frustrating sports. Period. There are so many variables that have to come together to deliver an epic session. When I get back from a surf and my wife asks me how it was I invariably answer: tide was sh1t, wind was sh1t, banks were sh1t, crowds were sh1t, swell was sh1t or I was sh1t. But I follow up with, gee the water was nice, lest I appear ungrateful.

And as much as I'd love to have perfect waves every single day, I think it'd lose part of what makes surfing such a journey. Good surf's elusive. Good things often are (except beer and pink-iced doughnuts).

I'm not much into 'isms, but a Buddhist saying that stuck with me over the years comes to mind: if we could have everything we wanted when we wanted it, life would present no meaning, no mystery.
Get a mal :D :D
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Beanpole wrote:
ajohnsen wrote:Surfing has to be one of the most frustrating sports. Period. There are so many variables that have to come together to deliver an epic session. When I get back from a surf and my wife asks me how it was I invariably answer: tide was sh1t, wind was sh1t, banks were sh1t, crowds were sh1t, swell was sh1t or I was sh1t. But I follow up with, gee the water was nice, lest I appear ungrateful.

And as much as I'd love to have perfect waves every single day, I think it'd lose part of what makes surfing such a journey. Good surf's elusive. Good things often are (except beer and pink-iced doughnuts).

I'm not much into 'isms, but a Buddhist saying that stuck with me over the years comes to mind: if we could have everything we wanted when we wanted it, life would present no meaning, no mystery.
Works for me. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:43 am

Beanpole wrote:

They can prise my shortboard from my cold, dead hand.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:42 am

What about if you take one of the hulls that go round the outside of Webbers wave pool and install it in the ocean beside a long straight rocky groyne and generate waves that way. Then build build really shallow banks like the ones in the Clarence River where he did his experiments for these waves to break on.

You could even have a series of hulls say 100 metres apart to create wave after wave, these hulls would be like on a conveyor belt, the conveyor belt would be the length of the groyne.

Imagining how it would work.
At the far end of the groyne the the hull would get submerged in the water and start moving along the side of the groyne toward the shore generating a wave, when it got to the shore it would come out of the water and travel back out along the top of the groyne to the end where it would submerge back in the water again.

This could be epic, where are those patent forms.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:46 am

I'd just like to say thank you for continuing to ride a short board. I really respect you for it.
Don't take the fact that I will be scoring heaps more waves and having heaps more fun when its
not really up to standard as in any way compromising my support for you sitting there looking bored and frustrated :D
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:17 am

Fong is an artist. :idea:

poetic license. ))(( :wink: :arrow:

:roll:

:oops:

:P

:mrgreen:
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.