Bottom shape

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Bottom shape

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:45 pm

I was pawing over a mate's new board he bought off the rack at a pretty popular surf shop up here.

I noticed it has stuff all bottom contour or shape to it. I put a straightedge across the rear fin plugs and there is maybe a mm to a mm and a half gap from one rail to the other.

Will that do anything? I reckon it looked like the sander had completely taken out the bottom shape. The guy who worked at the shaper's said it's meant to be flat. Makes it more forgiving and a good all rounder.

I'm use to my boards with big doubles into singles, so this one just looks nude ...

Does anyone clue-ier than me know if the board will go?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Indo dreaming
regular

Re: Bottom shape

Post by Indo dreaming » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:58 pm

Depends on a lot of other factors in the design of the board.

Personally Im not a fan of flat bottom boards they never seem to work for me but boards are like women every man has there own taste.

I generally like fairly deep concaves especially doubles through the tail more so on wider boards as wider boards can tend to be slow from rail to rail a deep double can make them go faster from rail to rail, I also find boards with deeper concaves you can pump a little and they turn on the gas.

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Happiness is wanting everything you have.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:33 pm

mate, just to let you know, the guy who makes griffin surfboards does his twinnies with a flat bottom, people swear they are the fastest things they have ridden, I know there is much more in it than just having a flat bottom, but yes they are a proven design if that answers your question. Go the the griffin site and you will see his twinnies and just drool over them, I wish I had one.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:34 am

diggerdickson wrote:mate, just to let you know, the guy who makes griffin surfboards does his twinnies with a flat bottom, people swear they are the fastest things they have ridden, I know there is much more in it than just having a flat bottom, but yes they are a proven design if that answers your question. Go the the griffin site and you will see his twinnies and just drool over them, I wish I had one.
Funny you mention these Digger ... I rode a griffin twinnie on and off for about 4 months when I was living at angourie ... I had no idea it had a flat bottom. Wow ... that puts the bottom shape into a new perspective.

I surfed with the mate on the early at Kirra this morning. Well, where Kirra use to be. And he reckoned the board was fast as. He was really snapping off the top too, never really see him do that much.

Might be the magic board!
Kunji wrote:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:35 am

Braithy wrote: I had no idea it had a flat bottom. Wow ...

ehh....wtf :shock: ....u never put a ruler on it :?:

flats are very under rated bottom design

fast without the hang ups that can sometimes be found in concaves

works better in choppy conditions

imo :?
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:12 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:
Braithy wrote: I had no idea it had a flat bottom. Wow ...

ehh....wtf :shock: ....u never put a ruler on it :?:

flats are very under rated bottom design

fast without the hang ups that can sometimes be found in concaves

works better in choppy conditions

imo :?
Nah, Fong.The guy who lived in the apartment beside us owned the board. I never really got a good look at it. But it went well. Loose and fast and forgiving. After 5 or 6 surfs on it, I bought a MR supertwin, I was that in love with the griffin.

If I could buy one board from anywhere today, it'd be a griffin.
Kunji wrote: