Teahupo'o

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Re: Teahupo'o

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Getting a sticker for my car “Eddie Aikau word turn in his grave @ a CODE RED alert”

Reckon they should call it 'code pink' for the brittle types.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:57 am

After this one, I reckon Flores is for real. That guy charges ...
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:53 am

It was awesome to actually see Owen's surfing change throughout the event. If you compare his earlier heats to the semi final and the final, you can see the confidence he built throughout the event.

Although he didn't get the scores he did in Rd 5, you could see he knew exactly what he wanted to do in the semi, and he controlled the heat from the outset. I think the semi was probabaly his best competitive performance, as opposed to his best surfing. Very impressive from someone of his vintage.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:27 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Toby wrote:And Kelly takes a stranglehold on another world title ...

So he can skip events altogether if he wants to and still take the title. That must really piss off/frustrate the others.

he didn't just go out for a wank like tomtom/devon/zean over tmc revo and simon;

nay

he took a hiatus from shithouse conditions to surf some of the best waves the world has ever seen.

on 'im.

go baldy.

forty fcuking years old
Last edited by offshore1 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:39 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:43 pm

fcuking a
marauding mullet wrote:

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 pm

offshore1 wrote: he took a hiatus from shithouse conditions to surf some of the best waves the world has ever seen.
Well he missed the best of it apparently. Stayed on the island for the morning session when it was biggest and cleanest, and went out in the arvo when the wind was hacking it. Was a big miss.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:13 pm

didn't seem to affect his abilities much.
marauding mullet wrote:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:47 pm

reginald wrote:ive just figured out who the seppo sounds like. Its the commentator from Iron Chef.
yeah but he looks like a monkee
and he smells like one too
marauding mullet wrote:

northeasterly
regular

Post by northeasterly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Just thinking about the last 2 months for Slater;

Arrives in Tavarua to surf restaurants and cloud break before J Bay. Good swell on the way so he extends his stay and blows off a trip to South Africa. He scores insane waves, maybe not the biggest cloud break, but big restuarants and Tavarua rights sounds pretty good. He then jets back to the Huntington Beach for the world's biggest surf festival/party to show every half-his-age over hyped fly boy how to do aerials in mushy beach breaks. And picks up $100k for his troubles. Then it's off to Tahiti to surf the world's heaviest reef break. He gets shacked mindless in the earlier rounds, gets to watch the greatest show on earth from the channel last Saturday and then turns up for three days of insane tube riding with just one other person out. And then someone gives him another $75k.

And that's just 2 months. And he's been living this life style for 30 years. No wonder he won't quit.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:02 pm

^^^ well i thought it was brilliant dino.
and
spot on ne sterly, mind you, this is the first time in the history of the world a bloke, possibly the best surfer ever, has been able to roam the entire surface of the earth at will, any time any place, while satellites from space tell him where the best waves will be.
I'd go so far as to say it's historic. up there with coops' sci fi movie shit. :D

not that other guys aren't doing it too, but robert kelly is writing a chapter of his own.
marauding mullet wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't know Reg ... Teahupo'o has a way of turning the pro's into mere mortals like the rest of us.

If Kirra gets to 6 foot, I get pretty bloody cagey and edgy. Then you look out and you see JP or Mick smack the daylights out of one while you're in the carpark, and to them, its just fun. Watching Teahupo'o do to the pros what I experience is kinda refreshing. To see them scared shitless once it gets to 8 foot ... it's pretty cool, and for one day at least, I feel on par with them.

Not many places can make Kelly pullback on a wave, and then drag him backwards over the falls like Teahupo'o did, in his final. Again ... I can relate to that kind of smashing. :lol:
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:04 pm

faarking hell
That was one of, if not the best surfing comps ever held.
The surf was insane, the surfing was insane.
The perfection of the waves will be a new measuring stick.
Carroll and Shearer got the benefit of a first hand view, not to mention surfing the place in epic conditions. Cunce. Enough drama to make the stories easy pickings from low hanging fruit.

Seeing that lay-day mayhem and the 10 ft glass of the next day from the channel would be worth your left plum.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

baddy
Grommet

Post by baddy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 pm

reginald wrote:I have to say that at under tow in size. A contest at Teahupo'o is actually pretty boring. The wave is pretty short and limited. I know there is heaps of variation and it is a very technical wave to surf but all this happens in seconds and to the observer the nuances of the ride and wave are very difficult to comprehend. That is where expert commentary would help. Unfortunately experts that can process and project a coherent thought in an entertaining manner are a bit thin on the ground at ASP HQ.

As a straight up left hand tube contest. Pipeline has a lot more to offer.

You ride a surfski don't ya mate !

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:20 pm

^^^

woolly could be onto something here.

Reggies a farken goat-boater!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

booradley
regular

Post by booradley » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:35 pm

Fanstastic webcast too, apart from a bit of dodgey commentary here and there.
I was impressed by guys like Wilko and Kerr who are often written off as "aerialists" - cant deny they have
talent in waves of consequence.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 am

reginald wrote: As a straight up left hand tube contest. Pipeline has a lot more to offer.
why do you think that reg? I'm just curious, and you may have a valid point, but I just don't see it...:

http://billabongpro.com/tahiti11/videos ... highlights
marauding mullet wrote: