Long boarders and short on the same break

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

wjp
Grommet

Long boarders and short on the same break

Post by wjp » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Right, this is probably a can of worms again, but what the heck. As a beginner I've been very aware of making sure I try and follow the good etiquette whilst out in the waves. I've progress from my mini-mal to a shorter board just recently and have started to get pissed off with a fair few long boarders here in Manly. Now I may be totally wrong here, so hence the post.

I've been finding that essentially a fair few long boarders who really should know better looking at their age and skill, just paddle right past me (while I'm waiting for a wave) and sit further out, and then when the wave comes getting on it and claiming its theirs. Now I don't mind at all if this happens a couple of times, but lately its been happening most of the time. Am I wrong? If I move away try and move out the way of them, but then they just paddle across to catch the same wave.

Whats the score with long and short boarders on the same break? Tough shit?

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Long boarders and short on the same break

Post by Grooter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Well there are a few options. You can adopt iggy's seagull method and barge out amongst them, puff out your chest, crane your neck and make weird guttural sounds to intimidate them....

Or

You apply a rating scale based on your temperament. I run on a two strike policy myself, I'll accept the first couple of snakes of this nature, but after that I'll just drop-in on them. Although sometimes you just have to play them at their own game, which is why I have a longboard for certain breaks.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:01 pm

easy - getter a longer board than theirs and sit further out.
or find a wave that suits your board and not theirs.
Last edited by purple pyramids on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zaen
regular

Post by zaen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:15 pm

If there is more than 5-10 or so people on a peak then the only etiquette that applies is no dropping in and no snaking as the wave comes. You cannot expect to share even, especially at manly.

That said please do not try other beaches, they are crowded, very localised and 10x worse with etiquette than manly. I would put it down to the lack of surf etiquette signs on the shore. Plus half of them are nude beaches populated by old men.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Now are you sure you are only getting one longboarder on a wave at manly, no late takeoffs dropping in from lids or learners. My experience at North Steyne that if you get some space appreciate it cause as the morning moves on people keep coming and if you move you still get those people who seem to like to sit near other people even if you move to a crappier section.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:52 pm

"Tough shit" just about covers it if you have greedy longboarders in the mix and you're riding a shortboard in small waves.
Even if you were on a longboard too they'd probably just drop in on you anyway.
At least the wake of a longboard in front is no issue when also riding a longboard.
Similar velocities too.
Different when trying to ride a shortboard behind a longboarder and their wake.
I love it when longboarders bitch and moan about sup riders taking all the waves.
Karma baby! :lol:
When I ride a longboard I'm always minful of sharing and my quota, letting others get a fair share and not using the paddle advantage too annoy everyone but I'm just about alone in this at my locale.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

lawny
Grommet

Post by lawny » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Im a longboarder, gotta use the give a wave get a wave when riding a longboard and dont be a hog! Wave hogs dont get any respect in the water from me!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:15 pm

There's plenty of both long and short boards where I surf most. Generally works out OK. If not someone says something and it's fixed.
But one of the things which many people overlook is that there are days where the type of surf suits shortboarders and they are able to take off deeper inside even if a longboarder tries to paddle from further out.
And vice versa, some days it's easier to catch waves on a longboard.
All seems to work out in the long run.
I'm glad I don't have to battle the crowd around Steyne and Queensie any more though.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:06 pm

What you say is true also Trev.
You can see this occuring at breaks like Noosa and the Pass at Byron.
Depending upon the tide the supremacy of the two groups will ebb and flow.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:02 pm

Theres just too many people who happily paddle straight past you to the peak again and again on any sort of craft. Its often only when you get jack of it and claim a few that they piss off. I hate crowds.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:44 am

What sometimes works for me is talking to the wave hog, not about his behavior, anything else, the surf or weather- whatever. If he's been chatting to you he'll most likely find it harder to snake you- you are a person now, not just a thing sitting on a board...

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:29 am

Its Manly you gotta expect it, if the longboarders dont get ya the Brazzers will and if they dont the poms will accidently land on your head and give you a crokered tooth smiles as you check your board and body for damage. But as you get better you will be getting more waves by getting into position faster and then most will respect you. Go to Curly its pretty much short boarders and it can be wedgy and fast sometimes compared to Manly, after 3 months head back and you'll be all over the boys at Queensie and N Styne:)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:41 am

bookster wrote:What sometimes works for me is talking to the wave hog, not about his behavior, anything else, the surf or weather- whatever. If he's been chatting to you he'll most likely find it harder to snake you- you are a person now, not just a thing sitting on a board...
I've found quite the exact opposite to tell you the truth. I can't believe the number of people who happily paddle up, smile and try to have a chat before catching the only peak, then paddle back out, paddle inside you and expect to get the next set. They seem perplexed when you ignore them and claim the next wave. This is particularly common with longboarders and of course SUPs. Usually they are old enough and experienced enough to know better.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:57 am

Beanpole wrote:
I've found quite the exact opposite to tell you the truth. I can't believe the number of people who happily paddle up, smile and try to have a chat before catching the only peak, then paddle back out, paddle inside you and expect to get the next set. They seem perplexed when you ignore them and claim the next wave. This is particularly common with longboarders and of course SUPs. Usually they are old enough and experienced enough to know better.
As I said it sometimes works...

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Really the only time I "choose" to surf a shortboard with longboarders is when one of two conditions apply a) I already know most of the crew out there so there's no dramas b) I have my 8'2 up in the car on standby if any knob wants to try and use length over ability to get waves off me. You should see the look on their faces when I paddle back out and straight up the inside of them on that. :lol:

But Manly... christ I have never even surfed there and yet I'd expect nothing less than what you describe. You'll find most of these wallys can't get to their feet quick enough in decent waves, so it's worth maybe travelling a bit further and finding something more challenging. They also can't duckdive, so again, anywhere over about 2 foot usually thins them out a fair bit. I'll also add that I've met enough smiling wave pirates to know that talking to 'em doesn't mean they'll stop taking everything off you.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:29 am

Then theres the happy souls who share with their mates and then go "party wave" when you finally get pole position.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Long boarders are fat middle aged cnuts who can't surf.

I choose to surf breaks where anything over 6'6'' eats its.

W@nkers.

**edit: since when did a double goose become a goose?

W@nkers.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:57 pm

The worst part is the vast majority of people in this country are fat by middle age.
If you're not middle aged yet the odds are against you.