Do you keep a surf diary?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Do you keep a surf diary?

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:30 am

I met a bloke at the Goldy who had a daily surf record for Coolangatta from about 1968 :shock:

How long have you kept it?
Have you noticed any changes over long periods (5yrs +)?
And for Fong's benefit, how do observations and forecasts match up?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Do you keep a surf diary?

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:51 am

Had one since 1988.

Changes? Yeah, according to the ENSO/PDO cycles mostly.

Fong's bullshittting, if he had a swell diary he'd post it up.

C;'mon Tim, show us your scrapbook.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:54 am

Whats that mate?

The dog ate it and you can only find the one with the Royal Wedding in it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

wildChild
Grommet

Post by wildChild » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:44 pm

I know its a big ask, but any chance you can upload some monthly or even weekly comparisons from say July 2010 and July 1990 etc.

Also can you tell the younger users what the surf was like on their birthdays?

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:46 pm

wildChild wrote:I know its a big ask, but any chance you can upload some monthly or even weekly comparisons from say July 2010 and July 1990 etc.

Also can you tell the younger users what the surf was like on their birthdays?
Epic idea!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:46 pm

alakaboo wrote:
oldman wrote:alakaboo wrote:
Fong, how do you work out whether it is a pass or fail?

The divine right of kings!
twas a serious question...
I had a look at the relationship between surf reports (CW) and the observations of council lifeguards for Manly.
Over the summer swimming season of 07-08 there were around 200 reports. Of these, around 50 were in agreement, around 100 CW reported bigger than the lifeguards, around 50 CW reported smaller.

ohhh boo....u know not wat pot u stirring :lol: this is sure end in another me vs the evil empire of swellnet sequel :wink:

but...it be a laugh soooooo once more into the breach my friends :!:

lets play.....now 2nd reef....i actually begruding respect..so if his the swellnet general....that leaves steve as cannon fodder :lol: lets dismiss the pawn first

yes steve, i do have diarys :shock: most good fishos do :idea: you should try it yourself...fu.ck knows u need all the help u can too catch a feed :) so....from my teen years i've kept a diary, all about fishing but as a side i did start include surf conditions 8)

that kinda become a equal obsession...till the net.....than i went all high tech :roll:

but back your orginal question boo :arrow:

i copy and paste the 6 day out forecast ( i found by 3 days out it's a non event and both sites suggest the exact same conditions...so they end up equally wrong :lol: ) into a note book folder.....i than check the conditions on the day against the forecast and daily report as published....take a pic and record results

i than got this cool little stastic/graph thingo i downloaded...that i feed into....and there u have it....standing uptodate results on surf forecast sites 8)

both coastalwatch and swellnet average ( so far this year) below 40%...it will make a great story when i get round writting it...but since the sites and mags are in bed together....finding someone run it is a challange i guess

but one day...someone will....and squel like pigs some ppl will because it :lol:

don weather i also do....but as his is a weekend forecast....i can't compare ...well i could but be thrusters too row boats if u get my :idea:

i'm amazed....that these surf forecasts sites don't do the same help them improve there very low game :!:

but they seem prefer just tell anyone who listen they are right all the time :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Fong I love you.. Can you please send those muddys soon and hook me up with your saucy work mate?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:Fong I love you.. Can you please send those muddys soon and hook me up with your saucy work mate?
You should come to Sunny Coast Realsurf get togethers. Fong brings nicely cooked muddies to them. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:22 am

Fong, you never disappoint. Shine on you crazy diamond.
mustkillmulloway wrote:i copy and paste the 6 day out forecast ( i found by 3 days out it's a non event and both sites suggest the exact same conditions...so they end up equally wrong ) into a note book folder.....i than check the conditions on the day against the forecast and daily report as published....take a pic and record results
You do realise that you're not actually testing surf forecasting, but the models they rely upon?

I'm astounded surf forecasts 6 days out are ever right, frankly.
I take my hat off to anyone who can take remotely observed three-dimensional weather events, sometimes thousands of kilometres away, and translate that into what happens on the shoreline, without access to good bathymetrical info or a cohesive network of wave buoys.
A couple of knots or a couple of degrees of rotation difference and the forecast goes to water (so to speak).

A mate at the bureau told me that any forecast more than 2 days out isn't worth spit, despite the fact that he's the one writing the updates... And that's for local weather.
That's probably why you see comments like this (from the latest forecasts, cut and pasted from the web, sorry to anyone who objects to me putting their own words in their mouth... ):
steve shearer wrote:There is a possibility it could track away faster than expected generating a S swell for this region. We'll review that on Wed.
steve shearer wrote:We'll need to come back on Wed and put numbers on it as models firm on the evolution of the Tasman low.
steve shearer wrote:While these scenarios are inherently unpredictable...
steve shearer wrote:Check back on Wed and we'll take a fresh look at these upcoming dynamic weather/swell events.
SAsurfa wrote:The models are wildly divergent on the development of a deep low pressure system across the south-east of the country during the middle of this week
SAsurfa wrote:We may see a stronger pulse of swell if winds come in stronger than currently forecast, but we'll review this again on Wednesday so check back then for an update.
SAsurfa wrote:Seeing as there's so much divergence in the short term regarding the end of the week's swell, it's worth keeping an eye on this before looking further ahead. But if we want to look further ahead the outlook is pretty exciting with another deep Tasman Low on the cards for early next week, but with all this activity, it's best to check back here on Wednesday for another update.
From CW - Ben McCartney:
"While this also holds potential for a small increase in short range S swell on Thursday, there’s still enough divergence among key modelling to cast doubt over the development of this wind fetch."

and from the archives:
steve shearer wrote:Actual raw weather forecast data is riddled with error and fundamental flaw........initialisation problems, latency, accuracy and precision of actual real-time data.
As an experiment take any weather site and plot 3day wind forecasts against the actuals......you'll soon see what I mean.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:24 am

p.s. can I have your surf diary? :)

'llo-and Behold
regular

Post by 'llo-and Behold » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:35 pm

I've tried too keep notes on calendars from time to time. Never lasts very long. This year's was going well till the shit hit the fan...

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:38 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:lets play.....now 2nd reef....i actually begruding respect..so if his the swellnet general....that leaves steve as cannon fodder :lol: lets dismiss the pawn first

i copy and paste the 6 day out forecast ( i found by 3 days out it's a non event and both sites suggest the exact same conditions...so they end up equally wrong :lol: ) into a note book folder.....i than check the conditions on the day against the forecast and daily report as published....take a pic and record results

i than got this cool little stastic/graph thingo i downloaded...that i feed into....and there u have it....standing uptodate results on surf forecast sites 8)

both coastalwatch and swellnet average ( so far this year) below 40%...it will make a great story when i get round writting it...but since the sites and mags are in bed together....finding someone run it is a challange i guess

but one day...someone will....and squel like pigs some ppl will because it :lol:
"I wont stand back and watch my men get slaughtered. I'm not that type of general"

Fong, are you comparing our six day forecasts to the daily reports?

If so, I reckon we're doing exceptionally well to be on 40%. From that far out we're usually just looking at rough patterns, scoping out the broader nature of swells and not the specific timing and sizing. This helps people to plan in advance. As the days get closer we'll start nailing down numbers. This is not a secret, it is often mentioned in our forecasts.

Also, Swellnet is not in bed with any magazine. We were with Tracks though we got out of the relationship 18 months ago because of 'creative differences'. I would, however, like to see your study in print so can give you contacts if you like.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm

alakaboo wrote:You do realise that you're not actually testing surf forecasting, but the models they rely upon?
Well, much of forecasting is understanding and discerning the various models - what their strong and weak points are - and making a prediction based on your knowledge of how they work.

Very few people understand how the models work and it takes a lot of time in front of a computer screen to make sense of them. Watching someone do it well is like watching someone reading a different language - they're making sense of things that others can't see.

I can't do it, despite always having had a keen interest in meteorology (to the extent that I almost studied it). So I tip my hat to the guys who can do it well. There's more to it than what most people think, especially here on the east coast where systems are fast-moving and dynamic.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:09 pm

What's with the disappearing posts, Fong? Have second thoughts on that little nugget of information you popped in there?

Well, I saw it and I'll slip it away for future use.

TZK

Post by TZK » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:27 pm

2nd Reef wrote:
alakaboo wrote:You do realise that you're not actually testing surf forecasting, but the models they rely upon?
Well, much of forecasting is understanding and discerning the various models - what their strong and weak points are - and making a prediction based on your knowledge of how they work.

Very few people understand how the models work and it takes a lot of time in front of a computer screen to make sense of them. Watching someone do it well is like watching someone reading a different language - they're making sense of things that others can't see.

I can't do it, despite always having had a keen interest in meteorology (to the extent that I almost studied it). So I tip my hat to the guys who can do it well. There's more to it than what most people think, especially here on the east coast where systems are fast-moving and dynamic.
The majority of the time I could just copy and paste Windguru's very user friendly 7 day forecast and it would read the same. Simple conversion of swell height and period and voila your own tailor made surf forecast.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:18 pm

2nd Reef wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote:and last poll i saw showed labor the door :!: 8)
What door? Labor is in power.

at a country level labor isn't in power....they have entered into a power sharing agreement as a minority goverment :idea: they never won any right govern

but i was talking closer home.....who won the nsw state election out right :?:

i'll give u a hint....starts with a l....sounds nothin like labor 8)
2nd Reef wrote: If so, I reckon we're doing exceptionally well to be on 40%. .
where do u get 40% from.....read my posts again.....it's LESS THAN

:lol:
2nd Reef wrote:What's with the disappearing posts, Fong? .
yeah....it was for your eyes second reef.....use it u feel fit....i just had admit too it :oops:

it makes our debate ...more ...well honest i guess :wink:

i'm quite confident i'll win any old how :mrgreen:

i'm still waiting on 6ft south swell ben forecast 4 years ago :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:28 pm

I've found the Swellnet swell forecast to be quite accurate. When you marry that with Willy Weather's wind forecast, it's right far more often than it's wrong - even 6 days out. In fact over the last couple of months since the westerlies have been on, it's been pretty much spot on except for a few days here or there.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 pm

do u keep a diary bummy :?:

it can be as simple as recording your surfs on a scale 1 too 6....u don't even have write anything :idea:

boo....did u like my fishing diary i sent u ages ago? i guess your welcome too the rest my gear if it help your work and studys......the surf detail isn't much...the fishing is recorded in vivid detail :lol: i was reading some it tonight

u know the butter box ledge at anga.....not only is it good jump off but a decent feed lives right under it :wink:

p.s my diarys tend suggest last two weeks in march....are your best bets be bumming around the north coast nsw looking for waves :wink: there look....climate change hasn't change a thing. :roll: