Do you keep a surf diary?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Do you keep a surf diary?

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:19 pm

SAsurfa wrote: Your mate at the bureau who says that any weather forecast beyond 2 days isn't worth spit obviously doesn't know how to read trends in weather, and use all the data available to make a confident call beyond 2 days. This statement is ridiculous.

ohhh....so if that statement is so ridiculous why didn't YOU predict the flash flooding out west brisso this january :?:

why do YOU constantly fail predict random storms they cost lives and millions :?: :idea:

your increadible weather forecast skills are wasted on swellnet :roll:

they can't predict from more than two days out...often from two hours out

weather is far too fluid predict.....waves at sea are prehaps the most easiest :idea:

really...just keep talking yourselfs up :roll: i'm waiting see if your average edges up over 40% this monday

i have serious doubts :!:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:41 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
SAsurfa wrote: Your mate at the bureau who says that any weather forecast beyond 2 days isn't worth spit obviously doesn't know how to read trends in weather, and use all the data available to make a confident call beyond 2 days. This statement is ridiculous.
ohhh....so if that statement is so ridiculous why didn't YOU predict the flash flooding out west brisso this january :?:
We did Fong. We just couldn't find anywhere on our SURF FORECASTING WEBSITE to post it.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:05 pm

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:51 pm

2nd Reef wrote:We did Fong. We just couldn't find anywhere on our SURF FORECASTING WEBSITE to post it.
What about under the "Latest News" or perhaps the 'Weather" :shock: tab?
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:44 pm

They were filled full of SURF NEWS and COASTAL WEATHER.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:11 pm

2nd Reef wrote:They were filled full of SURF NEWS and COASTAL WEATHER.
And you didn't think it was important enough news to make a special announcement.
As people on these forums are wont to say, "pics, or it didn't happen"
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

wildChild
Grommet

Post by wildChild » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:31 pm

You people are retarded.

And yes by 'you people' I do mean queenslanders.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:07 pm

TrevG wrote:
And you didn't think it was important enough news to make a special announcement.
Are you serious Trev? I mean, at least TMC was just acting obtuse.

Of course we didn't know the Brisbane floods would happen. Why would we, we're a surf forecasting website, and forecasting the surf was the thrust of this argument all along. At least until Fong came and conflated it with his nonsense about why we, a surf forecasting website, didn't predict floods that happened west of Brisbane.

Sheesh...Queenslanders...the jokes are true.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:20 pm

2nd Reef wrote:
TrevG wrote:
Are you serious Trev? I mean, at least TMC was just acting obtuse.

Of course we didn't know the Brisbane floods would happen. Why would we, we're a surf forecasting website, and forecasting the surf was the thrust of this argument all along. At least until Fong came and conflated it with his nonsense about why we, a surf forecasting website, didn't predict floods that happened west of Brisbane.

Sheesh...Queenslanders...the jokes are true.
2nd Reef wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote:
We did Fong. We just couldn't find anywhere on our SURF FORECASTING WEBSITE to post it.
So let's see. YOU can make a facetious comment - because YOU come from south of the border.
But us Queenslanders can't reply in kind.

OK. Now I get it. One rule for you guys and one rule for us.

Rriiightt! :roll:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:33 pm

:lol: :lol:

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:42 pm

Let it go Trev.
Just accept it. You live in a state of utter repression and rank conservatism.
Many of the slights slung are directed to this fact.

Blame it on government past.
Maybe government present and future might redress some of this. Dunno. I'm not a political animal.
Damn, I'd sure like to be 'up there' some of the time, but, sad but true, life here is just too je ne se kwa!

What? Diary? I'm an amnesiac. 'course ive got a diary. :?
Actually, only up till December last. But not the surf :( Except for the few remarkable occasions.
But every passage I've undertaken on the harbour with a client for the past 10+ years. Brides/grooms, grooms to be, tourists, super models, celebrities and drift wood alike... off topic.
Carry on.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:57 pm

skipper wrote:Let it go Trev.
Just accept it. You live in a state of utter repression and rank conservatism.
Many of the slights slung are directed to this fact.
Or by jealous people who, unlike many of their ilk haven't got the guts to make the move to this fabulous State.

I don't have to let it go, coz I'm here and you're not. Don't forget I've lived and worked in both States. NSW is a great place to be but unfortunately, second only to Queensland.

Now, NSW is just a great place top visit. 8) :wink:
Beanpole

Skipper

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:42 pm

:roll:
wotever Treva :wink:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:06 pm

skipper wrote::roll:
wotever Treva :wink:
Now ya got it. 8)
Beanpole

Skipper

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:23 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:
alakaboo wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:Anyone got June 06? Sydney. I need to know the exact conditions.
http://www.coastalwatch.com/reports/sur ... story.aspx
Thanks Boo. I actually think it was 2007. I need the period though.
The whole month was pumping as was July.
Hey Coops
I wasn't around Sydney in 2006, but June 2007 was the big one.
You want the period as in swell period, or the period as in when it was good?

Most of the info on the June 2007 event can be found here:
http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/articl ... une%202007

Also check out Tom Shand's paper here for extreme wave history and info:
http://www.coastalconference.com/2010/default.asp
I dont keep a wave diary -
But I went to Toms paper - and the most interesting thing I found was the significant difference in wave height for the BBay buoy when compared to the others on the east coast (even Eden further south). Seemed to really confirm the anecdotal evidence that up he coast (not far - Ulladulla) would generally be significantly larger that here (as a rule of thumb) - and of course dependent on swell direction. Is interesting though, as the coast orientation is not that different to the north and south.
Could be about where the buoy is located - but as mentioned would tend to confirm anecdotal evidence.

Can be frustrating at times, particularly in S oriented swell, as much of the size misses here (give or take specific spots). The price one pays.
the dreams that stuff was made of

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:17 pm

That's when you wait for the wind to swing around to the N an hit Target or Blackrock.
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy