Do you keep a surf diary?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bumfluff
Owl status

Re: Do you keep a surf diary?

Post by bumfluff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:42 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:do u keep a diary bummy :?:

it can be as simple as recording your surfs on a scale too 6....u don't even have write anything :idea:
No I don't but maybe I will... I tend to keep most things in my head or at the most jot down on a bit of paper on my work desk that "X" wind didn't work on "X" beach and to not ever surf at that place under those conditions again.

But mostly it's pretty easy for where I surf the most. If it's SW it's going to be very clean but not really barrelling. If it's straight W it will be super clean and barrelling. If it's South it will be fairly clean and definately not barrelling. If it's SE or E then forget about it unless it's really pumping in which case head up your way. :P

Of course the banks change all the time but otherwise I have my spots and the required conditions in my head.

As far as my own surfing goes, I write down 3 things on a bit of paper that I must remember to do when in the water to improve myself. Once it becomes a habit I cross it off and replace it with something else. Could be anthing from shifting weight to one foot or the other or some minor technique to do with paddling... etc....

The Goldy is a different kettle of fish altogether however and I could probably do with a diary.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:55 pm

get yourself a calender....with the whole year on the one page..and a topless model on top :lol: ..mark each day u surf

give each days conditions a rating out 6....6 being perfect...3 average.....1 the stuff second reef surfs :lol:

it doesn't have be fancy..like i love writting...so a diary is a natural release for me but alot crew couldn't give a fig...but don't trust anyone else...record it for yourself...your 3star week could be my 6star....get the :idea: ...i find my surf diarys show me when i'm more likly get waves i like tho the year

than huie fu.cks it all up and changes his mind anyhow :lol:

alot the info on surf sites focus on size swell...cause that sells the tight t-shirts and is easy predict

the bigger the wave rarely means the better the surf :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:27 am

So essentially childrens...size doesn't matter

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:59 am

alakaboo wrote: I'm astounded surf forecasts 6 days out are ever right, frankly.
I take my hat off to anyone who can take remotely observed three-dimensional weather events, sometimes thousands of kilometres away, and translate that into what happens on the shoreline, without access to good bathymetrical info or a cohesive network of wave buoys.
A couple of knots or a couple of degrees of rotation difference and the forecast goes to water (so to speak).
Hi Alakaboo.

Even though you bring up these points of a couple of knots or degrees of rotation within a storm being hard to predict, in the bigger scheme of things, such little variations don't really affect a swell forecast.

This is because these storms form over 100-1000km's of ocean and little variations like this are lost in the broader swell production. Sure, if there's a little embedded low right off the East Coast, a burst of 50kt's will result in a larger spike in swell, but when we look at bigger storm systems, you get a good idea on how big a swell will be based on the dominant wind speeds, compared to a short-lived burst of stronger winds.

If we look to the Southern Ocean, swells can be forecast accurately out to 5-7 days or more due to the large distance between where the swell is being generated and where it will hit the coast.

Indonesia is a perfect example. Say we have a storm firing up today to the south of South Africa persisting over the next couple of days before weakening significantly.

I could make a prediction on swell size and arrival time 5-7 days out for this swell right now, and once the storm has disappeared in two days time, there's nothing that will change this forecast as the swell continues to travel towards Indonesia at a speed dependant on its period. The same goes for SA, Vicco, WA and Tas.

Trends in swell activity can be predicted even further out in the Southern ocean if you look at the positioning and movement of the Long Wave Trough. Here, have a quick read of this article and you'll see how..
http://www.swellnet.com.au/news/2318-lo ... eate-waves

The East Coast is a little different as the storms are closer to the coast and a lot more dynamic.

A dynamic system such as an ECL or deepening surface trough are tricky to forecast beyond a couple of days, and even harder day to day if the models don't agree, because their close-range nature means that we on the coast see these little intensifications and bursts of winds as ebbs and pulses of swell.

In saying this, general trends can be clearly seen out to 4-5 days such as when the peak of the swell will occur, when winds will swing offshore, and then how quick the swell will drop away.

I have also personally forecast swell episodes for the East Coast 7 days out as I know that we are going to move towards a particular weather pattern. The timing may change a little, but it gives people a heads up to keep their diary flexible in a week's time.

Keeping an eye on numerous weather charts every day gives you a great knowledge base and idea on how a particular weather system may evolve, even when the models diverge, and I use this knowledge in every forecast I pen up.

Your mate at the bureau who says that any weather forecast beyond 2 days isn't worth spit obviously doesn't know how to read trends in weather, and use all the data available to make a confident call beyond 2 days. This statement is ridiculous.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:01 am

Hey Craig
I'll defer to your clearly superior knowledge. Not sure what is the next step up from taking my hat off to you (and other forecasters), maybe a doff of the cap?

I guess being on the east coast I was thinking more about the evolution and timing of ECLs and particularly the influence of radial spread from due Sth and even SW swells. Certainly seems to be something you fellas argue about a fair bit.
mustkillmulloway wrote:boo....did u like my fishing diary i sent u ages ago? i guess your welcome too the rest my gear if it help your work and studys......the surf detail isn't much...the fishing is recorded in vivid detail i was reading some it tonight
Fong, you never sent it to me. You mentioned it, and gave me an update, but don't think I got any attachment. You never got back to me about that other spot either.
I'll potentially follow up about the surf stuff. Interesting stuff going on up there, I could be doing some work up your way soon.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:53 pm

alakaboo wrote:I met a bloke at the Goldy who had a daily surf record for Coolangatta from about 1968 :shock:

How long have you kept it?
Have you noticed any changes over long periods (5yrs +)?
And for Fong's benefit, how do observations and forecasts match up?
Started end of 1995, was a bit sketchy at first but I logged most of the good days complete with charts clipped from the paper. Lost 1996 / 1997 diaries in shed flood. I have most days here from April 2000 - 2002, and every day since. Most have pics. It's in the public domain but as it only relates to SA no-one here's gonna get overly excited.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Anyone got June 06? Sydney. I need to know the exact conditions.

Also, i kept one when i was younger. Kept if for about 3/4's of a year until the next summer when the waves were gone. I still have it. Its with my star wars shit and other DONT THROW THESE THINGS OUT MUM at mums.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Allan
regular

Post by Allan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:26 am

I'm waiting with bated breath for Norm to show me his secret spot on the weekend. He was going to show me last night, but it was no good with the poor lighting of the moon and besides, he's saving it for when the time is right. Then I will have much to talk about in my diary.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 am

Be careful what you wish for Allan.
Norm's secret spot could be a dangerous place. You may experience something you will live to regret.

Still, could be plenty of fodder for the diary...
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:49 am

Coops@DY wrote:Anyone got June 06? Sydney. I need to know the exact conditions.
http://www.coastalwatch.com/reports/sur ... story.aspx

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:09 am

Hey steve any chance you know what was happening on Anzac day in 1989?
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:56 am

Hey Fong...What was the surf like on 29 April 1770 when Captain James Cook first rolled up to Botany Bay?

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:16 am

A surf diary, youse are livin in the past !!!!!

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:17 am

alakaboo wrote:
Thanks Boo. I actually think it was 2007. I need the period though.

The whole month was pumping as was July.
------------

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:35 am

Coops@DY wrote:
alakaboo wrote:
Thanks Boo. I actually think it was 2007. I need the period though.
The whole month was pumping as was July.
Hey Coops
I wasn't around Sydney in 2006, but June 2007 was the big one.
You want the period as in swell period, or the period as in when it was good?

Most of the info on the June 2007 event can be found here:
http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/articl ... une%202007

Also check out Tom Shand's paper here for extreme wave history and info:
http://www.coastalconference.com/2010/default.asp

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:48 pm

bumfluff wrote:Hey Fong...What was the surf like on 29 April 1770 when Captain James Cook first rolled up to Botany Bay?
uncrowded. farkin blow ins.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:51 pm

alakaboo wrote: Hey Coops
I wasn't around Sydney in 2006, but June 2007 was the big one.
You want the period as in swell period, or the period as in when it was good?

Most of the info on the June 2007 event can be found here:
http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/articl ... une%202007

Also check out Tom Shand's paper here for extreme wave history and info:
http://www.coastalconference.com/2010/default.asp
Thanks Boo, i was talking about the swell period. I just needed to know the exact conditions for this reef i surfed. It hasnt been like it since. I guess we dont have SE swells that much anymore. Its either got too much south or too much east in the mix. Only 10-12 secs though, which ain't to uncommon.
------------

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:47 pm

yeah, period wasn't that high in '07, maybe it was too close to land?

We get a fair bit of SE swell, but it isn't often pure. Normally heading from E to S or vice versa, from what I've seen.
Rarely coincides with good wind too.

In Sydney?
If not, I have some info for elsewhere in NSW, send me a PM.
Though there aren't too many directional buoys...