Industry rip offs

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Shoulder hopper
Grommet

Industry rip offs

Post by Shoulder hopper » Sun May 01, 2011 5:54 pm

I don't like to have a whinge about things much, but today I happened to see the Manly report on RS that was by Surfboards Direct and got a bit curious about the company logo and all on the photos. So I looked at their website and for the life of me I can't see who shapes these boards and where they are direct from.
Are they one of those companies that are importing their boards from China or Taiwan and taking the business away from our local shapers and manufacturers?
Although I have nothing to do with the surfboard industry myself, I can see what is happening to a lot of shapers that have been around for ages getting pushed out by these imports. I had thought that it was not happening as much anymore until I saw this today but looks like some are still trying to cash in on the industry with inferior products from China. Correct me if I am wrong but it would be nice to see these rip offs gone and not promoting their product on Australian sites.
Thats my whinge and I'm glad I got it off my chest! Now back to the footy.SH

Scroty
regular

Re: Industry rip offs

Post by Scroty » Mon May 02, 2011 8:28 pm

At $475 delivered it's not going to be local product, and I'm guessing that you'll get what you pay for.

Care to give us a few more details Mr Direct?

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Tue May 03, 2011 2:16 pm

The problem is someone needs to be providing the money to run this site. And if local shapers aren't going to front up with the cash, I see no other viable option.

Are you also the kind of person that get's upset when it's not a white guy named Bill making your vindaloo at the local Indian take away?
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue May 03, 2011 3:13 pm

reginald wrote: If the public don't want to buy cheap imports they won't exist. simple.
Tend to agree with you reggie.
The marketplace will determine the success or otherwise of the products on offer.
That's not to say I'm in favour of monopolies or duopolies, (Woolies - Coles), (Big 4 banks), (Fuel companies).
And I personally would never buy an overseas board.
But, the global economy dictates what we'll see on sale in this country.
A few years back I made a stand on imports - buying only Australian made clothes and other products wherever possible. The marketplace left me behind. :roll:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue May 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue May 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Fine for backpackers and learners generally. I hate seeing a complete goose on a really refined board that they have no chance of mastering. That is a rip off.

Personally I find it funny looking at boards in stores and watching the salespeople casually steer you away from what your interested in then suggest stuff that is totally unsuited to your requirements.i.e. apart from mals I try to look at boards that are a little thicker and about 7'6" although I recently saw a 7'er that could have been a possible.I reckon at my age, weight and degree of flexibilty thats about right. Plenty of people make boards like this.
Would they like to convince me to buy one?
Do they show me boards that size?
No they try and convince me to try a 6' biscuit.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue May 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Had a look at the website. Looks full of complete crap and rip offs.

Look like a shot at using realsurf for free advertising has backfired for this mob.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Most people who get past that first stage, regardless of how good/bad they surf, will realise cheap is cheap. Really, boards are cheap, when you think of how many surfs that board will give you. And pretty much all surfers who specify a light glass job accept the reduced lifespan as a trade off for "pop". I prefer a more durable glass job, but im not bustin airs, and i definately can't afford more than one board a year ( lucky to even get one a year! ).

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed May 04, 2011 8:41 am

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed May 04, 2011 9:30 am

robzig wrote:2 concerns......

1. Having sponsored surf reports.

2. Flooding the market place with absolute crap......I suppose safe in the knowledge that no one who has surfed for more than a year would buy on anyway. Under cutting a local industry with bad product doesn't help anyone period. I have to deal with it in my own industry (not surf related) and it is taking us all down and the public just don't realise it.
It's not necessarily that the public don't realise but that they don't care.
Lower prices and a throw away mentality are taking place of quality and durability which is willingly paid for.
Plus most people are greedy and don't care less where the goods are come from and who's made it.
Just have a read through the Bells thread and you'll see ample evidence of the "who cares where it comes from" attitude.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Wed May 04, 2011 11:29 am

so who are the local competition that are being harmed by cheap pop outs?
is it for the first time surfer buying a $400 pop out minimal? or is it from higher-end boards?
Last edited by purple pyramids on Wed May 04, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 pm

Given that local shapers are looking to make a living out of what they do, the only business model that would work would be to punch out quality product using quality foam that has been professionally glassed.

My industry insider tells me that that there is not always a big difference between pop-out quality and local quality, and it can be a real hit and miss affair with the local product as well.

Trying to make your money by volume is a bit of a suckers game, as you just won't be able to beat those damned overseas factories.

And doing it part-time and for love so that you don't have to rely on surfboard sales to pay the rent, if you can, will ensure your longevity, and as others fall by the wayside your qulity product can attract a premium price, perhaps.

The equivalent would be a handcrafted furniture maker trying to compete with IKEA, although IKEA is actually pretty good quality for what it does.

You can't compete with that shite, don't try.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Wed May 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Olds Drew Anderson is a prime example of a local using inferior products. Longbum used to have a lot of to say about him, pretty sure he doesn't stock his boards in the shop either.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed May 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Natho wrote:Had a look at the website. Looks full of complete crap and rip offs.

Look like a shot at using realsurf for free advertising has backfired for this mob.
Whoops, there goes our Manly surf report :shock:

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Wed May 04, 2011 9:33 pm

The way I see it, the surf "industry" is just going through what cycling went through about 30 years ago. There are still people prepared to spend obscene amounts of coin on bike gear, perhaps even moreso than ever.

Of course... it's all imported. :shock:

Shoulder hopper
Grommet

Post by Shoulder hopper » Wed May 04, 2011 9:48 pm

I've seen with a lot of the shapers how much they are struggling to make ends meet these days with the market being oversupplied by the cheap imports. As someone has already said "little Johnny's mum will buy a cheap import rather than buy a custom for their first board" which used to be the local shapers bread and butter. Sure some or most kids probably don't need or know what a good board is like but don't you think it is good for the kid to get a bit of a thing going with the shaper from the start.
I know a few shapers and they are rapped when they see a kid progressing on one of their boards and the kid or adult feels a bit special when a shaper takes a bit of intrest in them. How is that kid going to get any feedback from Who-flung-dung from Wee-crap Surfboards or when the thing shits itself after 3 surfs is the importer going to help him out? NOT Likely! They will just sell it and f**k you Johnny not my fault the thing is a piece of crap.
I know we all have to make money to survive but it sucks that people premote shit that is killing the local board industry and shapers,who some have been at the forefront of the design and manufacture of surfboards the world over.
If we see some of the great shapers like Gunter Rohn, Simon Anderson or Brett Warner go under because of shitty imports making their buisnesses not viable any more, then it will be a sad day for surfing IMHO. But we are all entitled to our own opinions, as this forum is about. SH

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Wed May 04, 2011 10:40 pm

dUg wrote:The way I see it, the surf "industry" is just going through what cycling went through about 30 years ago. There are still people prepared to spend obscene amounts of coin on bike gear, perhaps even moreso than ever.

Of course... it's all imported. :shock:
30 years ago? I only thought that people started dumping 5 figures on a carbon road bike frame in the last few years ... :P

Having said that, in the bike industry, spending more on equipment makes sense up to a certain point. Groupsets and frames get lighter the higher up you go, the shifting can get smoother and there is a huge difference between an entry level front suspension fork that feels like a pogo stick versus a smooth as butter middle level one that soaks up all the bumps.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.