Will You Surf Alone and at First Light?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Will You Surf Alone and at First Light?

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Was talking to a guy yesterday and he was telling me about a recent day where he found himself alone out the back and came in because he wouldn't surf alone.
In addition I've attracted a few comment about me paddling out into a murky dawn by myself at times.
I know all the stories and I have to admit to subscribing to the "It won't happen to me" philosophy, knowing full well it could. Certainly in the days before legropes I've had some scary moments swimming in. I'm not the only one who does this at my local but some of the regulars are a little more cautious.
But I love being first in the water and catching waves by myself as the sky lightens and the sun rises. It's pretty much what surfing is about, to me.
What are your thoughts.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beerfan

Re: Will You Surf Alone and at First Light?

Post by Beerfan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:32 pm

99.9% of my surfing is early morning mid week. If i do have to surf the weekend, its still early. The lat surf was early morning by myself, the day before the chick got bitten. Won't change my surf time. You're right, watching the sun come up from the water is awesome. Mostly surf with one or a few other dawn patrollers, but if its small and clean, i'll happily go out solo. Not long ago myself and another paddled out with stars still in the sky. The first few waves were pretty cool as they were lit up by the nearby pool's floodlights. If they weren't on it would have been tricky to see hahaha, though we had it to ourselves, so it was worth it.

KMD
regular

Post by KMD » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Thats unheard of to me and so far out there i cant even contemplate it.

I would rather surf by myself than with 10 people even if it means surfing waves 1/4 of the quality. Ive stayed out beyond dark, no one in the water or on the beach in sight and had no problem with it.

What was his fear? Was it big that day? Sharks (surely not, no one actually thinks of them when surfing unless its somewhere far out and remote right?)? Wasnt skilled enough?

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:12 pm

TrevG wrote:Was talking to a guy yesterday and he was telling me about a recent day where he found himself alone out the back and came in because he wouldn't surf alone.
In addition I've attracted a few comment about me paddling out into a murky dawn by myself at times.
I know all the stories and I have to admit to subscribing to the "It won't happen to me" philosophy, knowing full well it could. Certainly in the days before legropes I've had some scary moments swimming in. I'm not the only one who does this at my local but some of the regulars are a little more cautious.
But I love being first in the water and catching waves by myself as the sky lightens and the sun rises. It's pretty much what surfing is about, to me.
What are your thoughts.
I used to go out at first light on my own all the time. But the more I hung around other surfers, the more I realized there are more sharks close to shore than I had realised. Then I started seeing them first hand as well, the more I went out.

It won't stop me from going out early, but I am certainly more aware of what's going on around me when I'm in the water and if I see a school of bait fish or whatever I'll definately be on the lookout.

Also I reckon it's bullsh*t that there's more sharks in murky water, I think it's the opposite. It could be that you can just see them more clearly in clearer water, but I've never even seen one surface in dirty water.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 pm

KMD wrote:Thats unheard of to me and so far out there i cant even contemplate it.

I would rather surf by myself than with 10 people even if it means surfing waves 1/4 of the quality. Ive stayed out beyond dark, no one in the water or on the beach in sight and had no problem with it.

What was his fear? Was it big that day? Sharks (surely not, no one actually thinks of them when surfing unless its somewhere far out and remote right?)? Wasnt skilled enough?
He's a regular at the spot a long point with a rocky bottom shelf all around and along it. Skill level is OK and he's around my age (yeah yeah. Old :oops: ).
Wasn't big but there is always plenty of wildlife out there. I've seen large fish (tuna?) jumping right out of the water. As Tiger said on here one time, worry about what's making them jump.
Like others, I'm aware of my surroundings and if I saw a shark close by I'd probably go in (didn't when I was growing up at Kirra though), but I'm damned if I'm not going to get out there because of a phobia.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:30 pm

I surf at first light, but not in the evening any more.
I'm a bit more cautious at places with a known resident, like the big tiger that lives at Burleigh.

I'm more worried about tides and barometric pressure than time of day.
I try and avoid turbulent water next to a big dropoff.
bumfluff wrote:Also I reckon it's bullsh*t that there's more sharks in murky water, I think it's the opposite.
I reckon you're right.
There aren't many saltwater fish that hang out in murky water. It tends to have lower salinity, have less oxygen, have more parasites, and less food. Not a lot of reasons to stay there.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:30 pm

I surf when my wife lets me.

:cry:

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:I surf when my wife lets me.

Marriage does that to ya, I'm in the same boat a lot of the time.

Have surfed alone and at first light a number of times but it depends on the break. As much as I love Flinders I won't do it there anymore, never seen a shark but I know they're around and that hair on the back of your neck sensation is all the more spooky when you're a long way from the shore.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:36 pm

whats wrong with ya. give the bitch a slap ya homo
tomtom wrote: Im daddy's special boy

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:53 pm

happyripper wrote:

whats wrong with ya. give the bitch a slap ya ****
Happyripper, consider this an official warning. Your posts are not acceptable. Continue in this vein and banning is an option.

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=18581
Beanpole

Skipper

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:00 pm

Im not gonna read all that. has anyone read that whole thing? seriously ? has anyone actually read that..

How many warnings do i get by the way. and then what happens?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:02 pm

happyripper wrote:Im not gonna read all that. has anyone read that whole thing? seriously ? has anyone actually read that..

How many warnings do i get by the way. and then what happens?
Read it if you want to know how it works.
But to spell it out for you. You get one more warning. Then you're not on here any more.
No further discussion, no other recourse. EOS.
Beanpole

Skipper

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:07 pm

whats EOS mean

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:08 pm

End Of Story.
Beanpole

Skipper

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Are you the boss here or hat.

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:09 pm

what

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 pm

happyripper, take the time to read the link above and your questions will be answered. It's sufficient to know that I have the power to ban you.
Beanpole

Skipper

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:15 pm

happyripper wrote:whats EOS mean
cmon, you gotta be kidding right?
he's gotta be a surf boat rower
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"