Will You Surf Alone and at First Light?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

philw
Local

Re: Will You Surf Alone and at First Light?

Post by philw » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:35 pm

^^
mate was investigated by a small shark at tama a few years ago - it was big storm surf and he was caught inside in front of the rocks between tama and bronte - it buzzed him a few times and thrashed about before fcking off

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:01 pm

I've never seen a shark while surfing. Although I have seen a fisherman catching sharks at a beach where I surf, but they were all small (3-4ft) and I think school sharks (?whatever the correct name). I have dived around the same area and seen one shark. Sth Coast NSW.

The great white, tiger and bull are the only sharks with more than 10 confirmed deaths worldwide (maybe the whitetip).

So the vast majority of sharks (there are 480 odd species) are non fatal and, indeed, there are only about 30 types that have even attacked people (blacktips, bronzers and even the old wobbegong have multiple attack records, just few fatal). And that 30 includes some single attacks by usually docile species like the port Jackson.

Although the stats are a bit dodgy because people aren't always paying attention to the type of shark at the time. Oh, figures are for unprovoked attacks.

Not that statistics assist if wrong place/wrong time.

Btw, if you look at the details of fatal shark attacks in Australia, you will see that the majority occur during the middle of the day (or at night), not dawn/dusk. Someone bored might figure out the distribution if they want

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... _Australia

Interestingly, of the 230 odd fatal shark attacks in Australia since the 1770s, only 14 (I think) have been on women. So perhaps you don't need a shark shield, you need to sprinkle some estrogen around. Of course, never surf with a bunch of girls as you will be the one targeted. .. (I'm pretty sure that is how to interpret those figures)

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:45 pm

Drailed wrote:Only shark I ever saw was at Tamarama at first light, just its fin cruising in front of the headland between Tama and Bronte. So surreal.. Had to paddle right up to north end of the beach to paddle in. Completely uninterested in us, still, I was pretty relieved to get on the beach.
This. Goes with That at Suzanne.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=30626&p=697982#p697982
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque