INFORMATION FOR USERS OF THE REALSURF FORUMS

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Trev
Duke Status

INFORMATION FOR USERS OF THE REALSURF FORUMS

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:34 pm

As we continue to have on-line discussions of the heated kind on “who said what to who and when and why – and who said it first” I thought I might take the time to explain my vision for the Realsurf Forums. I’ll probably “sticky” this and post it at the top of each thread, at least for a while. It’ll also be locked so it doesn’t get watered down by comments. You can start a discussion on it as a separate topic if you wish.

My understanding of what Don would like has had some bearing on how I see the forums for the future. I think he would like to see an on-line community where we can communicate civilly and hopefully attract a wider range of posters.

In my view, the General Surf Discussion and specific surf craft threads should be devoted to what their headings are. Obviously banter is OK but I ask that you keep it within the bounds of respectability. I don’t think there’s anyone on here who doesn’t understand that terminology. Anyone who persists in deviating from that will get a polite on-line reminder from me. Further transgressions will attract a courteous pm. After that it’s in the lap of the Gods. Essentially what I’ll be asking is that you take the more questionable stuff to the “Tangents and Non Surf Talk” thread where I’m happy to see the guidelines bent a little more. Within reason. Access to that thread is only available to signed in members with a qualifying number of posts.

Again, there are limits and I reckon if we move on from here, if I’m not happy with something I’ll say so, in open forum, for discussion but at the end of the day, I’ll make a decision based on what I think is best for the forums. If I have any doubts I’m happy to ask Don but I think he’ll prove to be less lenient than I will.

The same applies to Private Messages. No abusive type pm’s will be tolerated.

Regarding the “Tangents” thread I’m aware that there are situations which arise where we get a bit heated and probably somewhat over the top in relation to what we say about or to, one another. I’ll throw in my 2c worth if I think something’s going on too long or over the top. But this thread is designed to take the heat out of the others so, as I’ve said before there’ll be a certain amount more leeway given here.

Forum Rules

There are Forum Rules and of late they haven’t been readily visible so here they are. And they aren’t really any different to most web forums with open membership. You would have seen them when you originally registered with Realsurf.

READ THIS, IT IS IMPORTANT!
ALL new forum registrations are checked by a human. We do this to cut down on spammers. This means you have to complete the anti-spam question correctly AND it means that there will be a delay between when you register and when you are approved. We attempt to approve new registrants within 24 hours, but we do NOT promise to do so. We will not knowingly approve registrants who use false or deceptive names or who choose nicknames that we think might be offensive to a significant number of other users.
By accessing “Realsurf.com” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “Realsurf.com”, “http://forum.realsurf.com/forum”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “Realsurf.com”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “Realsurf.com” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Group”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions, the phpBB Group are not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: http://www.phpbb.com/.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Realsurf.com” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Realsurf.com” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Realsurf.com” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.