Pro Surfing or UFC?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Pro Surfing or UFC?

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:25 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:Trev I think that quote was from back when it happened. Hope you haven't been a the booze too. one should never moderate whilst under the influence. :wink:
:oops: :oops: No booze today. Damn. I just assumed someone had sought out Nat for a quote on the Garcia incident.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:32 pm

RickyG wrote:
moondoggie wrote:How long is it until somebody is knifed in the surf????
Um, probably a while after surfers start carrying knives. Maybe one of those strap-on fishing knives. Yeah, love to see that :shock:
Been done ............... :arrow: about 30 years ago just ask Fitz ........... :wink:

Around 40 years ago wasn't uncommon at Sandon point for someone to pull a knife out of a wetsuit if the crew didn't want you in the water ........... :wink:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr the good old days .......... :lol:

WishIwasntadeskjocky

Post by WishIwasntadeskjocky » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Garcia is clearly a complete prick who is not worthy of any sponsorship, or to surf anywhere outside of his home break for that matter. But as someone else pointed out, the ASP appears to have covered up the fact that one of their stars was in fact a drug addict, not to mention other issues, so they'll probably not want to offend Garcia either....

The Frenchy provides a bit of comedy really, playing the role of the boy from a good home who really likes hanging out with the local "hardman" low-life because he thinks it's cool. Although, given his previous complaints that he doesn't do as well as he'd like in competition because the judges are racist does confirm that he is indeed also a prick. Just a different shade of prick.

WishIwasntadeskjocky

Post by WishIwasntadeskjocky » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Oh, and wait for the mags to spin this as a great act on Garcia's behalf, in the same way that they fawn over the Bra Boys.....

Trilobite

Post by Trilobite » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:59 pm

So what's the appropriate punishment for this? Sports' fighting policies are strange. In hockey, it's encouraged (for at least a little while). In surfing, it's mostly ignored. In soccer, it's all acting.

http://www.theinertia.com/surf/jeremy-f ... reaka-pro/

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:59 pm

I dont like what I saw at all, mmmm, dont think much of it at all as I hate violence. But i do wonder what happened between the local and sunnys boy, if someone really does now that question it might put a better light on this.

Please understand Im not trying to defend sonny one little bit but if someone laid a hand on my little girl or boy Im not sure what I would do, wouldnt seriously be able to answer that unless it actually happened, and would I run 100 meters, shit yes, it would be the fastest 100 meters I ever run.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:17 pm

what a pack of righteous xenophobes! (not you Diggs, as i was just about to post and saw yours, ...but some previous comments!!)

Granted, Sunny Garcia's violent attack was completely unacceptable.
However, there has been a deafeningly silent response from any actual eye witnesses, save for Flores, the voyeur with the camera, and a few non specific quoted members of the public ???
By some accounts on line elsewhere, the local victim was allegedly a serial offender in the hassle and aggro stakes at Burleigh, and since no other locals appeared to come to his aid, may well vindicate this hypothesis. And that is that it was HE who challenged the young Garcia to' take it to the beach' after some incident where a lack of etiquette was displayed, by one or both parties??? Flores may well have simply been acting out of duty of care....??? Sure he's put holes in his manners before this...but...
Basically, if this local had of wished for this to be resolved without violence, he could well have chosen his words and actions more carefully...???
That Garcia snr may have witnessed the ensuing scuffle involving his son, and proceeded to act out of paternal instinct, albeit one of a notoriously brutal one, is reasonably understandable. Though, again, i stress, completely over the top. But hey, the local just picked the wrong kid to bully. He's learnt a painful lesson. Violence begets violence. And if, as many of you seem to wish it upon Garcia, he himself may one day learn this lesson too. But judging from numerous accounts of his behaviour, both good - in that he's often referred to as a solid, stand up guy, loyal, fearsomely proud, protective of family and culture etc.... and bad - quick to meter out violence with the slightest provocation - that seems unlikely.
As far as as what was shown on TV and boob tube.....since when was the media meant to be taken with anything less than a pack of Saxa?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:14 am

as someone, who will always be made feel at home @ burleigh ( go the bears in the qld cup :!: )

1....soooo fucken wat :?: shit like that goes down every other day @ burleigh, i only surf it if invited :idea:

2....take your pussy little contest and fu,ck off back south down to pretenders point where u contest pricks belong

3.....i use and recomend sunnys fcs glass fins 8) they are the best fin out the fcs stable by far :!:

don't blame the burleigh crew......last thing they wanted was the pussy contest in there backyard start with :idea:
Last edited by mustkillmulloway on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 am

Jeremy's side of the story-
Hey for now, all i can say is that everything that has been said on the news and all the stories people hear are told in a different way which makes it look very bad. I just stood up for 16 years old Stone Garcia while a local surfer was getting aggressive with him. Next thing,everybody knows,he got aggressive with me, i defended myself and we went at each other fighting face to face all the way to the beach.Somebody told Stone’s dad,Sunny Garcia,that his son was in trouble so he ran down.Any parents would of done the same thing if their son were in trouble. Anyway,the ASP decided to take me out of the event because a new rule says that no violence should be tolerated in a professional event,i agree with that rule 100% but it wasn’t the case for me,i just defended myself while i was training in the contest area before my heat. People have to understand that family and friends are everything for me and i will never walk away from it (especially when it’s a under 18 boy ). I hate violence and i never get into any troubles like that. I love Australia and i have most of my best friends here. All the Burleigh boys have always been so nice to me so i won’t let this story change that. I’m so sad this story happened but i don’t regret anything,these things happen in life unfortunately and i will never let anyone walk thru me !
Sunny's son is named Stone? :shock:
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:15 am

nuffink ngo wrote: .Slightly ironic that someone who made a living having his photo taken is "upset" with the "papparazzi".
..... then attack any potential witness? Even though you'd have done "nothing wrong" & because your boy did "nothing wrong" as he learnt all his etiquette from such an upstanding role model.
I'm sure the term "monkey see monkey do" also applies to this family of rock apes/jungle bunnies.
That "cause they make a living getting their picture taken" argument just doesn't wash.
Regardless of whether they're actors/pop stars/celebs/sports peeps....no different to say.. a sparky, who's always being hit up by mates "can you re wire my house mate?"...a board maker..."can you fix this ding mate"?....a professional writer, .."hey, you're a writer..could you write my covering letter for me....?. basically, just cause one makes a living from their profession don't mean they are 24/7 at the beck and call of all and sundry to oblige them in whatever way they seem fit to.

Clearly, Garcia Snr is smart enough to know that what he was doing wouldn't auger well for him if documented. But , sure, not smart enough to control that rage in the first instance.

Rock apes? Jungle bunnies?....

Convicts/bilge rats....what's the diff?....puerile categorisation of race is one thing and one thing only.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:41 am

skipper wrote:Clearly, Garcia Snr is smart enough to know that what he was doing wouldn't auger well for him if documented.
History may suggest otherwise. It's certainly not a reaction an intelligent, professional athlete would engage in on a crowded beach in a foreign country.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 am

Yeah, don't like violence, but depending on the story a good beat down may have been well deserved.

Another website has a version of events that make the local sound like the instigator. He hardly looked like the enforcer type though. If that's him with all the scars in the news story I would have taken him on with some confidence, and my fighting skills don't extend much beyond a wet paper bag.

But as a dad I would have jumped to my son's defence just as violently. I fear the day that I ever have to face that, because 'vengeance is mine sayeth the lord.' I hope I never face that, but if it happens, there is some serious shit stored up inside me which would all hang out.

That would be bad for all involved.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:17 am

Speaking of other websites-its seems Swellnet or Coastalwatch don't deem this as newsworthy.Any other sport this would be frontpage.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am

A measure of tolerance if not respect is always a good idea when surfing in someone else's patch ..... more so when when you're part of the travelling circus !!!
Perhaps the local needed to be pulled into line but either way looked like an indefensible overreaction on the part of Sunny !
Couldn't really expect too much more from him though ....... what kind of a name is that - "Stone" ? :roll:

(If this was a road rage incident your visa would be cancelled whether you were initially the victim of an accident or whether you were protecting your child ) . I hate violence and standover tactics .

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:11 pm

lessormore wrote:Speaking of other websites-its seems Swellnet or Coastalwatch don't deem this as newsworthy.Any other sport this would be frontpage.
Swellnet forums are where I read various perspectives on it.

How useless were the news reports on TV. I saw it on Sunday night (I think) and was led to believe from them that it was a fight between Garcia and Flores.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:30 pm

I'm with Olds - if someone looked sideways at my offspring, I'd be reacting straight from the basal ganglia. And while my missus could do me in a dust up, like Olds, there's some serious sh*t packed down hard that'd come out pretty fast and hard.

But let's hope it never comes to that, eh?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Fair enough comment in regards to instinctively protecting your family, however, the guy wasn't just wailing on some dude out of uncontrolled rage, he was systematically going about the process by getting the guy in a headlock and pushing him underwater even though the guy was clearly showing signs of submission. Clearly Sunny has gone well over the line and deserves just punishment for his irresponsible actions, I mean this'd be a very different story if the guy had had an undiagnosed heart condition and had died at the hands of Sunny that day in the surf??? (not that far fetched - I know of quite a few guys in their thirties who've been diagnosed with such conditions with no syptoms up until the nasty realisation) and that doesn't even take into account what Garcia then did to the guy filming. He seems like an outright moron and deserves everything that may be coming for him, regardless of the situation that preceeded it, you are an idiot if you think there is justification for his actions.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:22 pm

It would be hard for Garcia to claim reasonable force was used.