NEW SURF SCHOOLS AT NEWPORT MONA VALE AND WARRIEWOOD

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

carroll

NEW SURF SCHOOLS AT NEWPORT MONA VALE AND WARRIEWOOD

Post by carroll » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:18 pm

WE HAVE RECENTLY RECEIVED NEWS THAT THERE IS A NEW SURF SCHOOL STARTING ON THE NORTHERN BEACHES, AND WILL BE OPERATING FROM EITHER MONA VALE NEWPORT OR WARRIEWOOD. BEING A LOCAL SURFER FROM MONA VALE I'VE FOUND THIS REDICULOUS, APPARENTLY THEY HAVE A 24 SEATER BUS AND THINK THEY ARE GOING TO CRASH 1 OUT OF THESE 3 BEACHES DAILY.
WOULD LIKE TO GET OTHER LOCALS OPINIONS ON THIS.
I DON'T THINK THEY HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THE LOCALS AT THESE BEACHES,OR ACTUALLY HAVE NO IDEA THAT THERE IS LOCALS HERE.
HERE IS THERE SITE.

http://www.surfoztours.com.au/

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: NEW SURF SCHOOLS AT NEWPORT MONA VALE AND WARRIEWOOD

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Yes it stinks, should get your local crews together and make a submission to council, there's already plenty of surf schools to cater for the need elsewhere. Having said that I can't see council being receptive to your needs and wants, especially considering your side offers them no fiscal incentive as opposed to the surf school who will probably have to make some sort of contribution for permits etc.

climbo
Grommet

Post by climbo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:05 pm

nightmare of backpacker kooks it sounds like !! Pickup at 8am in Sydney, doesn't look like they'll be out there any time before 10am which is the only positive out of this.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Well, you gotta give it to the organisers knowledge of the quality of surf on the Northern Beaches. Those beaches are all generally drive by beaches reserved for scenesters who don't care about the aesthetics of waves, let alone differentiate between them. I am opposed to surf schools in general though. It's a money making scheme snapped up by people whose intended perseverance has a depth of the novelty of standing on water and to tell their non-surf mates that they too are in the cool club. They end up giving the sport a bad name, not by their ability, but by their ignorance of the culture and embarrassing representation of it to the wider community.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Cheers carroll :D
They should round up some of the local delinquents in the bus and just drive around all day with them in the bus and out of trouble. Maybe take em down for the ferry to Patonga and give them a one way ticket. They could go wake boarding on the way. That would clean up the line up nicely.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:53 pm

carroll wrote:MONA VALE NEWPORT OR WARRIEWOOD.
From a learn to surf perspective pretty safe beaches for starters with most sessions being done during the week my guess.
WANDERER wrote: I can't see council being receptive to your needs and wants, especially considering your side offers them no fiscal incentive as opposed to the surf school who will probably have to make some sort of contribution for permits etc.

Nail .... Hammer .... :arrow: You need a license and a permit to operate plus they will not be going out where the crew are.............. :roll:

And if you feel intimidated by a bunch of backpackers maybe you might need a few lessons too .......... :lol: We are talking Northern Beaches in Sydney gone are the days of having a quite surf on your own.

And I'm sure you won't mind the eye candy ...... :wink:

carroll

Post by carroll » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:33 pm

well mate its not about being scared of backpackers its about sydney in summer mostly being very small and having to share the lineup with 25 people who have no idea, and if you dont understand that well then what can i say.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:54 pm

carroll wrote: its about sydney in summer mostly being very small and having to share the lineup with 25 people who have no idea, and if you dont understand that well then what can i say.
Firstly only 25 ppl that have no idea isn't that many as you would know .... :arrow: you would have that many per meter at Manly any week-end in Summer ........... :lol:

Secondly with learn to surf classes they are supervised and surf schools will keep out of the way of any real surfers in the water. So you won't find any sitting in the line up.

Lastly you might actually feel their stoke when they stand up for the first time .......... 8)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Oh theyre cute when they are young but once they get out on their own theyll go for the jugular as soon as look at you. I reckon a meeting outside Monavale Retrovision is on the cards here.

Personally I blame that new Manly Surf School TV Show.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm

^^^^^^^ :lol: :lol:

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 pm

NGO you've got it exactly right mate. I do some work with a surf school down this way and the furthest out we've ever been is when the tide drops and you have to walk out to reach the whitewash. It'll have very little impact on the local crew.
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

haysie
regular

Post by haysie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:59 pm

I've found that no matter how hard you try to convince them otherwise, a surf school "graduate" is determined to go out and buy the shortest board possible to make themselves look "cool" and become "part of the club". They think that because they can pooman some whitewash on a 9ft foamie, that means they can suddenly rip on a 5'10 shorty.
I'm all for them riding bigger boards and sticking to fatter waves, enjoy surfing that way, because I don't see how getting raped by hollower more powerful waves, swallowing litres of seawater at a time and flapping around like an injured seal is enjoyable.
Thus the shorter board goes back in the garage, not to be touched for another 2 years before it appears on eBay or at Happy Hockers.
Braithy - I can look at a guy like Sonny Bill Williams, his physique and face, and appreciate, he's a good looking guy

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:13 pm

haysie wrote:I've found that no matter how hard you try to convince them otherwise, a surf school "graduate" is determined to go out and buy the shortest board possible to make themselves look "cool" and become "part of the club". They think that because they can pooman some whitewash on a 9ft foamie, that means they can suddenly rip on a 5'10 shorty.
I'm all for them riding bigger boards and sticking to fatter waves, enjoy surfing that way, because I don't see how getting raped by hollower more powerful waves, swallowing litres of seawater at a time and flapping around like an injured seal is enjoyable.
Thus the shorter board goes back in the garage, not to be touched for another 2 years before it appears on eBay or at Happy Hockers.
Probably not a bad thing.
They get to feel like part of the "in crowd". Don't get in too many people's way and some surf business somewhere makes some money out of selling them a board. Then they move on or back, to tennis, golf or boozing. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:47 pm

^^^^^ Then someone ends up with a good second hand board :D

Win win all the way !!!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:02 pm

nuffink ngo wrote:Mona Vale Retravision has closed :cry:
Obviously in response to all the Real Surf blues that have taken place there over the years.
Apparently they were selling popcorn and had a parol car stationed there permanently :lol: :lol:
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:40 am

I'm just happy Carroll found the CAPS key.

Toby Wan
regular

Post by Toby Wan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:53 am

haysie wrote:I've found that no matter how hard you try to convince them otherwise, a surf school "graduate" is determined to go out and buy the shortest board possible to make themselves look "cool" and become "part of the club". They think that because they can pooman some whitewash on a 9ft foamie, that means they can suddenly rip on a 5'10 shorty.
I think you'll find that's its not only surf school graduates who fit this description :lol:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:39 pm

Toby Wan wrote:
I think you'll find that's its not only surf school graduates who fit this description :lol:
too true Mr Wan, but I'm happy with that, let 'em flail, we'll catch waves in the meantime.