Night hawkin'

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Skipper
Duke Status

Night hawkin'

Post by Skipper » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Mark Visser surfing in the moonlight.
At Jaws!

http://www.markvisser.net/news/mark-vi... 

You tube vids abound. Take your pick.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Re: Night hawkin'

Post by Johnno » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Yeah saw that last night on TV skip petty sick hey.

When Mark Visser was being interviewed afterwards he was still shaking a little and had that look on his face of wtf was I thinking about.

Taking night surfing to the next level. :shock:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:00 pm

lol, pretty original
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:30 pm

Ive been thinking about this guy and trying to work out what he was trying to achieve.
also someone has commented on you tube whether or not he got the idea from me,
although he spelt my name wrong.

he had flashing lights under his board for what purpose i dont know, but i cant think of a practical use for flashing red lights on the rails. Besides providing a show for the audience.
He had what apears to be a similar light setup on his helmet. I have been experimenting with the help of LEDLENSER to get the right amount of light shining on the wave, highlighting where i want to go, while also being able to see when a set is coming.
however there is a trade off with glare at the side of the head that is pure white light.

from what i can tell with this guy is his lights dont even light up the wave.
They appear again, just for show.
the helicopter does a better job of lighting up the path for him.
why not just use the helicopters lights?

Rusty and i have also been considering using an X21R that has 1500 lumens compared to my frogman 80 lumens and my 2xV squared that produce about 75 lumens each.
the only difference with the x21R is that we will need to use Rustys Jetski and sit on the back (for large voodoo) and shine the light into the wave from the shoulder, as the torch is not waterproof and needs a power pack.

the differences between this pro surfer doing it at jaws looks sick, but i wonder whether he did it for his own joy? was it a publicity stunt that he will never repeat?
we use night surfing lights so we can get unreal waves at night when no one is around. we try not to attract the interests of people on land as this causes unnessesary and sometimes anoying interest from onlookers.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Other than the cost involved, and who'd foot the bill, I can't see why night surfing hasn't had serious consideration , particularly at places like Bronte reef, with the sea pools lights almost capable of illuminating the break.

Needless to say heaps more spots where the presence of pedestrian lights- larger type flood style- could be enhanced to light breaks close to shore, points and headlands.

Is it that sharks come out at night ?

Visser's motives I've no idea about.
Haven't followed up any history to the Jaws caper. Just went wow when I saw it in the terragraph on Saturday.

I love the bit at the end where he gets creamed by the whitewater and you can see his lights. .....not go out.
Last edited by Skipper on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:30 pm

marcus wrote:Ive been thinking about this guy and trying to work out what he was trying to achieve.
also someone has commented on you tube whether or not he got the idea from me,
although he spelt my name wrong.

he had flashing lights under his board for what purpose i dont know, but i cant think of a practical use for flashing red lights on the rails. Besides providing a show for the audience.
He had what apears to be a similar light setup on his helmet. I have been experimenting with the help of LEDLENSER to get the right amount of light shining on the wave, highlighting where i want to go, while also being able to see when a set is coming.
however there is a trade off with glare at the side of the head that is pure white light.

from what i can tell with this guy is his lights dont even light up the wave.
They appear again, just for show.
the helicopter does a better job of lighting up the path for him.
why not just use the helicopters lights?

Not 100% sure Marcus but i think the lights on the board were to help spot it in the dark after a wipeout (coloured red to differentiate between board and rider).
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:34 pm

marcus wrote:he had flashing lights under his board for what purpose i dont know, but i cant think of a practical use for flashing red lights on the rails. Besides providing a show for the audience.
That would be for the stoners on the beach .......... :lol:

And marcus ... surfin Voodoo at night 8)
skipper wrote:Other than the cost involved, and who'd foot the bill, I can't see why night surfing hasn't had serious consideration , particularly at places like Bronte reef, with the sea pools lights almost capable of illuminating the break. Needless to say heaps more spots where the presence of pedestrian lights- larger type flood style- could be enhanced to light breaks close to shore, points and headlands.
Is it that sharks come out at night ?
Yeah skip shame councils won't invest in some serious lightin' as I had a bit of fun in my younger years surfin DY point with just the pool light and a full moon......... :wink:

As for the sharks well that just ads another dimension to it all .......... :lol:

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Several years ago I experimented with night surfing.
Helmet with a 30 watt quartz halogen globe in a waterproof housing, the housing was made of brass which dispersed the heat as the globe got very hot. A double insulated cable ran from the helmet down my back inside my wetsuit to my legrope, along the legrope then along the board to a waterproof perspex housing on the front of the board which contained ten 1.2 volt nickel metal hydride batteries. Also in the housing was a 20 watt light that shone forward and a 10 watt light on the right side, the idea being if I surf a right hander the right light would illuminate the wall as I paddle into a wave.

I also fitted one of those shark repellents with the antennae that drags in the water.

Trial run I try it in the dam on my land one night, walking to the dam all rigged up and the helmet light shines about 50 metres along the path and I am thinking this works pretty good, that distance means I should be able to see the waves ahead when surfing, moving my head and looking around the light illuminated the trees and the ground really well.
I get in the dam and have a bit of a paddle then sit up on the board and look around and about ten feet away on the bank I see two snakes one was a brown snake, out hunting for frogs.
So after checking that the housing was not leaking made a quick exit.

Few weeks later test it at small Ti Tree just after sunset on a moon less night, paddle out from the beach and once out about 30 metres, sit up on the board and get my bearings.
The helmet light can barely make out the white water coming toward me, and instantly I see what the problem is.
The surface of the water is like a mirror and all the light from the helmet and housing is bouncing off the water straight up into the air, there is nothing to absorb the light whereas at home the trees and grass absorbed the light really well.
Then I notice the housing is leaking water and paddle back to shore.
End of experiment.
Having said all that, if surfers ever get their shit together and build a surfing reef, there is a way to light it up for night surfing that would blow peoples minds.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:22 pm

hey carvin, ive had similar problems with light not being absorbed by the water too.
i found the torches work really well on a wall or tube, but sitting out the back you only see the tops of waves and whitewash.
i found it totally worth it at G land. in that tube.. i cant find words to describe being in a world class tube, bits of water illuminating, the spit, that is hard to see through. i find for reefs that are predictable, black rock, G land, cronulla point, it really works.
it doesn't work so well when there are long periods between sets. i turn the lights off to see the waves coming.
infact i cant wait to get back to g land just to do it again. stuff surfing with people in the water, who needs people when you can have that perfect barrel all to yourself?

I had a sh!t day today, wondering whether it was really worth it at real surf trying to decipher if the people pretending to be dumb were really dumb, or baiting, and were they worth my time.

This night surfing thread and thinking of illuminated G land barrels has braught back some stoke.
i have been trying out some sound too, but have found i keep repeating my favourite songs most waves.