The Floods

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: The Floods

Post by alakaboo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:45 pm

Damage wrote:Let see the numbers then big fella. 1 to 10 please.
Converted to 2006 dollars:

Newcastle earthquake (1989): 4.3 billion
TC Tracy (1974): 3.65 billion
Sydney Hailstorm (1999): 3.3 billion
Brisbane flood (1974): 2.09 billion
Brisbane Hailstorm (1985): 1.71 billion
Ash Wednesday bushfires (1983): 1.63 billion
Sydney Hailstorm (1990): 1.47 billion
TC Madge (1973): 1.15 billion
Sydney Hailstorm (1976): 730 million
Sydney Hailstorm (1986): 710 million

Those figures are from 2008, so the Vic bushfires aren't included.
Damage wrote:Anyway, most of the qld flood damage is not covered by insurance so isn't that a bit of an apples and oranges arguement? (ie a hailstorm is > THAT's why theirs a flood levy as much as anything no?)
Yep, that's also why the main source of insured losses is either building or vehicle insurance, not contents.
But I maintain it's not a good idea to have a levy.
Damage wrote:What, natural disasters that affect half the state? On what basis do you say this?
The disasters that affected half the state were in part separate events that happened to occur at the same time.
I meant natural disasters aren't going to stop, they are a part of life in Australia. You can keep returning to the scale of the current floods, I'll keep returning to the fact that the cumulative result means we should have a smarter way of responding.

Interestingly, the insurance industry has been making noises about compulsory insurance like the type Deesee mentioned since 1976.
http://www.actuaries.asn.au/library/eve ... cCourt.pdf
Though that is in part because they could then have the Govt running as guarantor for the riskiest properties and expand their financial base. And experience in the US means that it encourages risky development patterns.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Saw on Mediawatch the other night about the reports that 30,000 pigs were floating down the river :shock: :shock: :shock:
Then the paper printed a retraction saying it was 30 sows and pigs. Gold. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:56 pm

alakaboo wrote:Most places that flooded, meaning the buildings and not just the land, probably wouldn't have flooded in 25 years. People I know were flooded out of their retirement village in a place that is more than a km from the river.
The reason for this is that a lot of development has occurred in that time and a lot of dumb approvals have been made to please developers as we are talking Qld.... :lol: but we do them to :cry:
And look at the bush fires in Vic some homes will not be allowed to be rebuilt simply because the risk is to high.
So is the risk to the low lying land around Brisbane as this was only a severe weather event not a cyclone and the flood levels didn't reach the flood level of 1974.

Also with the mapping add a 1 in 100 or 1 in 200 year flood and see how much is then covered by water.

Two years ago in Coffs we had 3, 1 in 100 year floods in one year. So as the changes in climate occur we must plan for greater weather events or suffer the consequence.
Damage wrote:
Is this confusing rising sea levels with flooding? I think you have gone a bit rabid Johnno.
Maybe I have but the fact remains that you combine the two as both are still going to happen ........ :wink:

As a prime example apart from the DA that Tony Kelly has approved up here at Hearns Lake that is swamp land there is another DA at Emerald Beach that is on Tony's desk under 3A that is an even bigger swamp so even now the powers that be are still approving development on land that should be left alone. Unfortunately the money involved in these developments means that pressure is being put on planning to ok these while the taxpayer then picks up the bill later on down the track when things go wrong.

So unless we are spending money to not only to rebuild infrastructure but to flood proof / prevent damage in the future it is all just a waste of tax payers money.
Really not much different to the gun buy back levy as not to many crims handed them in if any and not to many improvements will happen from this levy either but in both cases the PM's will seem to look like they are caring hey !

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Wonder how the eco resort in the swamp at Angourie went in the floods?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:45 am

In a tragic turn of events, one of those that makes you question the sheer injustice of the random universe, ABC journalists who were instrumental in bringing us some of the most tragic stories of loss in the Lockyer Valley have now died in a helicopter crash.

Having had the emotional stress of reporting on loss and interviewing family members, their own families are now going through the same thing.

It really is a kick in the guts.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Massive.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:49 pm

was that on a film project?

I spoke to someone this morning who knew both Paul and Gary for 15 years, and John for a few. Pretty shook up.

Seems like a rare case when all the tributes seem to be true.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:12 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:more they talk shit and do tours/photo ops more they can avoid questions like this :arrow:

"Release of 516,000ml of water from Wivenhoe that will then coincide with the arrival of flows from the Bremer and the Lockyer and the king tide on Wednesday does not seem to be the optimal in water management"

end quote

my understanding of Wivenhoe Dam is that it was built for flood mitigation purposes and that its level should only have ever reached 60% before water was let out --- not over 100% like it was allowed to reach. If we had not been put on such strict water restrictions and had been allowed to use the water we would not be in this situation as the remaining 40% would have taken all of the water which is now coming down the Brisbane River and threatening Brisbane.

consider.. :?
bump

if the buck don't stop with the preimer

why have one :idea: :?:

p.s and b4 anyone saids "who cares "from the lesser states...check your taxes...your paying for the total co.ck up too :shock: 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Don't worry guys, Roy has gotten himself a huge supply of Gopherwood and is planning a suitable ark to tackle the great left hander on the shores of Mt Ararat.

The middle east will be at peace as it is a known fact that terrorists of any persuasion can swim and the new breaks will be uncrowded.

Look forward to Mt warning shore breaks ,
The glass house islands as Queensland's own Mentawais.

The Nepean Rivermouth break at Emu Beach (formerly Emu Plains)
The offshore islands of Wilson and Mornington with St Kilda a hot spot
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:46 am

There is a memorial service for the ABC staff who died in the helicopter crash in Ultimo this Friday.
As well as every person working for the ABC who has died in the line of duty.

Could someone pass it on to Reg? He knew the cameraman and the pilot I think.
If he (or anyone else) is interested, I have more details.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Hopefully someone did.