Wax on Tufflite

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bumfluff
Owl status

Wax on Tufflite

Post by bumfluff » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:34 am

Anyone else have trouble with wax on Tufflite boards dissapearing mid sesh? Admitedly I usually put a base coat of Tropical, then a layer of warm water wax, but didn't this time due to being too keen to try the board out. So all I've got is a layer of warm water wax but the sh*t just falls off it.

Anyone found a cure for this? I've heard to go one level colder than your normal wax?

otway1949
barnacle

Re: Wax on Tufflite

Post by otway1949 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:42 am

Go one colder and be careful of your shoulder as wax on wax off.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:16 pm

They rash you more than polyboards too. I think its the paint they use.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Beanpole wrote:They rash you more than polyboards too. I think its the paint they use.
YES.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:54 pm

otway1949 wrote:Go one colder and be careful of your shoulder as wax on wax off.
Are you taking the p*ss or does this one colder than normal thing actually work? :shock:

Also dumb question, but in winter, if you're already using cold water wax, is that enough? Or if you put a base coat of warm water with cold on top, would the base coat still come off?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:55 pm

sounds like your wax just melted.
warm water wax is for 20-24 degrees.

if you use a base coat it should be 1 warmer than the correct wax. it's really just providing structure for the top layer, which provides the bond. if you go too firm, i.e. tropical in cold water, it will be less effective at bonding to the board, or the top coat.

but if not:
tuflites have a coating of some sort that includes silicon.
if you give it a very light scratch with some fine sandpaper or carwash stuff in the area you wax it should work better.
apparently sex wax is better than most for bonding with tuflite. i use it on mine, and it stays on.

very light because the paint tries to get off tuflites with the slightest provocation and is a biatch to fix. and because I have no idea of the chemical reactions involved and accept no responsibility for your board melting into a useless pile of mush.
though, i would laugh if that happened.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:43 pm

alakaboo wrote:sounds like your wax just melted.
warm water wax is for 20-24 degrees.

if you use a base coat it should be 1 warmer than the correct wax. it's really just providing structure for the top layer, which provides the bond. if you go too firm, i.e. tropical in cold water, it will be less effective at bonding to the board, or the top coat.

but if not:
tuflites have a coating of some sort that includes silicon.
if you give it a very light scratch with some fine sandpaper or carwash stuff in the area you wax it should work better.
apparently sex wax is better than most for bonding with tuflite. i use it on mine, and it stays on.

very light because the paint tries to get off tuflites with the slightest provocation and is a biatch to fix. and because I have no idea of the chemical reactions involved and accept no responsibility for your board melting into a useless pile of mush.
though, i would laugh if that happened.
YES. The paint on tufflight boards is pretty flakey.

I used just warm water wax and it does seem to melt, I can't think of any other explaination to why it would just rub right off. I used to use warm water wax on it's own on my PU boards and while it was nowhere near as good as having a base coat underneath, I wasn't going through a block of wax every 2 weeks like I am with this tufflite thing. The only problem was it wasn't as sticky when I combed it up as it is with a base coat under.

The average temp is around 24 - 26 degrees... but that's on a rainy day. I'm not sure how much warmer the water would get in blue sky summer heat. Going by your standards Alkapoo, I would need straight tropical wax perhaps with an actual "base" sexwax under it?

But anyway, I think I'll try sexwax tropical with sexwax warm on top of it and see if that helps.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:49 am

reapply regularly - i.e. each session. that's all there is to the story.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:13 am

purple pyramids wrote:reapply regularly - i.e. each session. that's all there is to the story.
No. I'm going through a block of wax every couple weeks. Theres a difference between topping up your wax and having tonier about relax the whole board. After a sesh, the areas where my feet go are completely waxless. This doesn't happen on PU boards.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:29 am

get rid of it... alternatively as alkaboo said, wet rub with fine wet'n'dry

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:25 pm

ric_vidal wrote:get rid of it...
:D :D
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:51 pm

I hate you Jimmy. :o

climbo
Grommet

Post by climbo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:10 pm

my mates tuflite has about an inch of wax on it, about time he took it all off !!

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:13 pm

climbo wrote:my mates tuflite has about an inch of wax on it, about time he took it all off !!
Fascinating....

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:20 pm

bumfluff wrote:
climbo wrote:my mates tuflite has about an inch of wax on it, about time he took it all off !!
Fascinating....
:D Have you taken a funny pill today Fluffy?
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:24 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:
bumfluff wrote:
Fascinating....
:D Have you taken a funny pill today Fluffy?
No. The problem lies in the fact that I HAVE NOT taken my medication. I was the guy out at Snapper yesterday licking the wax off my tufflite and yelling "KOOOWEEEEEE"......."KOOOOOOOOOWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"....

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Now that last night's alcohol is out of my system, I'm gonna go get some wax.

So let me see... One cake of Tropical Sex Wax for the base coat, One block of Warm water for the Goldy and one block of Base sex wax for the Sunny Coast....with Tropical on top...One high performance scraper, two sheets of wet and dry...One pair of booties, a tube of superglue and a roll of duct tape.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Is the duct tape for your mouth?
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote: