Kelly Slater Wave Company

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

FishStick
Local

Kelly Slater Wave Company

Post by FishStick » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:05 pm

I guess many of you have already seen this, but if you haven't here it is. Yeah we've discussed this kind of thing before but what the hell:

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/press ... ave_50609/

I don't know if I like the idea. It would dramatically speed up the learning process for a beginner, and they aren't going to spend big bucks going to the pool daily so they'll end up in the ocean once they are good.

A lot of beginners quit surfing because they don't have the time to put in the effort, as perfect waves are hard to come by. This might change everything and probably increase crowds, raise the overall ability in a crowd and make it harder to get waves.

As well as this 'in-land people' will learn how to surf and take holidays to surfing destinations. Imagine the Mentawaiis full of Swiss people etc. :shock: :D
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Kelly Slater Wave Company

Post by alakaboo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:51 pm

guessing the design is based on Greg Webber's theory from a few years back?

i don't reckon it'll make much difference. It can't be cheap to build, it'll have lift tickets etc.
i wouldn't mind one in the backyard, but I wouldn't pay to go to one otherwise. for me the unpredictable nature of the waves is one of the drawcards.
kind of like snowboarding, i've done a lot of backcountry stuff but only been in a terrain park or halfpipe about 5 times.

talking of swiss in the mentawais, i met a couple of norweigan pro snowboarders in sumbawa who had never seen surf before.
they did a month of swimming training, grabbed some boards when the landed in bali, then headed off to the jungle in eastern sumbawa, figuring that it couldn't be all that different from snowboarding :shock:
they arrived in the middle of a 10-12ft swell, so they were a bit out of their depth :lol: , but i saw them a week or so later in some 2-3 foot playful waves on lombok and they were already pretty bloody good.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:46 pm

I came across this site googling wave pools:

http://www.surfthering.com/

The guy behind it filed for a patent in 2003 (Granted 2005) I think all of this happened before Greg Webber started talking about what is basically the same concept. Check:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6920651.html

I think this patent expired this year and it appears Kelly Slater has filed a patent application for the same concept albeit more developed. Check:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0124459.html

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:22 am

pipe dream....i believe it when i'm standing in line surf it

never happen...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:34 am

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:09 pm

FishStick wrote:Imagine the Mentawaiis full of Swiss people etc. :shock: :D
There was a minor resort load of Swiss Austrian and Bavarian German "surfers " in the Mentawaiis when I was last there no awareness no manners human schrapnel in the line up.
Also some Israeli Mossad agents on false passports very arrogant and aggressive.
Some Spanish Canary Islanders not only do they tweet but they could surf well and knew the etiquette, all round nice guys. Brazzos and French sort of interchangeable as to attitude.
A very rich and very stupid Peruvian AKA Juan Pelicano......
Upshot of this is that we are no longer alone in the surf :shock:
All of these guys seemed OK socially except the Israelis who had a west bank attitude up their klacker towards everyone.
In the water things got strange.
Nought to do Surfing is an International thing now. Our companies inflicted it on the world :!: Buy the lifestyle :!:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?