Andy Irons Dies

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

TMC
Harry the Hat

Re: Andy Irons Dies

Post by TMC » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:03 am

See that seems to me like you are way to emotionally invested in things that are of little or no consequence or relation to you. Maybe I'm the odd one out, but there is no way I'm going to cry because a pro surfer dies. Yeah it's a tragedy, but these things happens thousands of times a day around the world. It's not a tough guy thing, I just can't comprehend being so sensitive that I would cry because someone I didn't know died.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 am

TMC wrote:See that seems to me like you are way to emotionally invested in things that are of little or no consequence or relation to you. Maybe I'm the odd one out, but there is no way I'm going to cry because a pro surfer dies. Yeah it's a tragedy, but these things happens thousands of times a day around the world. It's not a tough guy thing, I just can't comprehend being so sensitive that I would cry because someone I didn't know died.
TMC.

shut-up.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 am

TMC wrote:
You don't need to justify it to me. I just couldn't imagine being so emotionally volatile that I would cry and grieve for someone, their wife and kids, despite never really knowing them, and I assume never meeting them.
Nothing to do with volatility. More like empathy.

Now that I'm a dad of two young-uns i tear up most of the time when I see or hear of other parents (who I have never met) losing a child due to the most unimaginable-devastatingness of the thought of it.

So maybe you'll get there one day TMC. Which is fine. You're not sposed to know everything at 25.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:02 am

TMC, quite apart from your lack of sensitivity and empathy, do you really want to pick a battle on the subject of emotional frailty?

Goo Goo Dolls? In a top 10? Then a hissy fit when you got schooled?
Ringing any bells?

you seem like a smart guy, one day you'll learn when to hold your tongue. and that there are more important things in life than the loss of a highlighter.
Until then...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:18 am

TMC wrote:See that seems to me like you are way to emotionally invested in things that are of little or no consequence or relation to you. Maybe I'm the odd one out, but there is no way I'm going to cry because a pro surfer dies. Yeah it's a tragedy, but these things happens thousands of times a day around the world. It's not a tough guy thing, I just can't comprehend being so sensitive that I would cry because someone I didn't know died.
Others seem to feel the same way I do so I'm calm about my feelings.
Maybe when you have children of your own you'll be able to understand the immense sense of loss whenever ANYBODY dies before their time. When my step-dad knew he was going, his comment ro me was how sad he felt for my Mum and his other relatives because his suffering would be over but he was sad that their's would go on for a long time. That made a big impression on me and I've never forgotten it. Said a lot about how unselfish he was, facing months or years of pain himself.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:19 am

tomtom wrote:
Rockin' Ron wrote:
And TMC....one day you may get that empathy synapse repaired...then you will understand what a tool you are. Are you an only child?
I think the proper term would be he's only a child.
I had TMC pegged as a middle child who got left out of everything and perhaps feels a bit "invisible". This would explain his penchant for attention, his twiggy, bag of bones frame and why he still hasn't left school.

Of the first 23 astronauts to go to space, 21 were first borns and the other 2 were only childs. Not a middle child in sight. :idea:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:34 am

LONGINUS wrote:
marcus wrote:the email address of the chick that started the methadone rumours can be found on the comments page here
http://www.swellnet.com.au/news/929-whe ... ls-rush-in
:shock: bloody hell :shock: :shock: :shock:

what have we told you about holding back 2nd reef...you got try and write what you really think more :lol:

i rarely check swellnet....so i'm impressed

i just hope this robeson chick can take one for the team, cause if not and she's proved right the return serve could get quite nasty :|
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:42 am

TMC wrote:
monkey wrote:Sorry man, didnt know there were rules when it came to grief. FFS!
My first child, a son, was born two weeks ago so the idea of his wife about to give birth under these circumstances strikes me pretty hard. Is that reason enough for you?
You don't need to justify it to me. I just couldn't imagine being so emotionally volatile that I would cry and grieve for someone, their wife and kids, despite never really knowing them, and I assume never meeting them.

TMC, sometimes it is best to say nothing. Thread is about Andy Irons, not you.
signatures, finally got it covered.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:54 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:
tiger wrote:So sad. Doesn't matter how he went, just a massive shame.

One of my fav surfers of all time. Powerful, stylish, and fearless whilst being so casual. His performances at Chopes and Pipe over the years were just mind blowing.

If someone can post up the footage of him from Blue horizon of that crazy late take-off at Chopes it'd be cool. Here's some nuts stuff of him, with a similar crazy late drop at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRnVCTxZ ... 1&index=42
Good work Tiger. We've all seen a few in the last 48 hours but that clip says it all...
thats sick
hows the way his edge catches and sticks it.
not sure of the technical term, but.. whooyeah
is that his fins grabbing?
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:01 pm

marcus wrote:
Rockin' Ron wrote:
tiger wrote:So sad. Doesn't matter how he went, just a massive shame.

One of my fav surfers of all time. Powerful, stylish, and fearless whilst being so casual. His performances at Chopes and Pipe over the years were just mind blowing.

If someone can post up the footage of him from Blue horizon of that crazy late take-off at Chopes it'd be cool. Here's some nuts stuff of him, with a similar crazy late drop at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRnVCTxZ ... 1&index=42
Good work Tiger. We've all seen a few in the last 48 hours but that clip says it all...
thats sick
hows the way his edge catches and sticks it.
not sure of the technical term, but.. whooyeah
is that his fins grabbing?

^^ i think his inside fins plus maybe his foot or leg. balls of steel.
really enjoying the AI clips, fongs put up a decent one as well :arrow: more please :)

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:13 pm

TrevG wrote:
Others seem to feel the same way I do so I'm calm about my feelings.
Maybe when you have children of your own you'll be able to understand the immense sense of loss whenever ANYBODY dies before their time. When my step-dad knew he was going, his comment ro me was how sad he felt for my Mum and his other relatives because his suffering would be over but he was sad that their's would go on for a long time. That made a big impression on me and I've never forgotten it. Said a lot about how unselfish he was, facing months or years of pain himself.

^^ im glad you posted that trev, thanks. sounds like a very decent man and your time with him has enriched your own life. i've been fortunate enough to experience grief and suffering with other people and i think a better person for it.

I dont mind saying the passing of AI has caused me to reflect, for my mind that is a good thing.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:23 pm

marcus wrote: hows the way his edge catches and sticks it. Is that his fins grabbing?
No ... the technique is to just before takeoff throw the obviously enormous nutsack out the back to create drag and hold the tail in ... do not attempt this unless you have huge balls ... :shock:
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:55 pm

Womble wrote:
marcus wrote: hows the way his edge catches and sticks it. Is that his fins grabbing?
No ... the technique is to just before takeoff throw the obviously enormous nutsack out the back to create drag and hold the tail in ... do not attempt this unless you have huge balls ... :shock:

^^ :lol: :lol:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:00 pm

tomtom wrote: What I wanna know, is how can people can honestly pass judgement after his tragic death without knowing him & the full details of his passing?

To those people, I ask - Have you had someone close to you die under tragic circumstances? Have you felt empathy for a friend's close one dying under tragic circumstances?

If you answered yes to the above questions, then you should know better than to pay out Irons' death.
On the flipside, you should not canonise him unless you knew him intimately - that probably does not apply to any of us plebs. The only undisputed fact about AI is that he was a good surfer.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:18 pm

what just happened to your "unusually large" post marcus :?:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 pm

it had nothing to do with andy irons, so out of respect, i decided not to go on a tangent, and deleted it
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:08 pm

AI pipeline 2010 spot :!: :arrow: should it go to bruce :?: i think if bruce wants the spot he should get it.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:09 pm

marcus wrote:it had nothing to do with andy irons, so out of respect, i decided not to go on a tangent, and deleted it

no worries, thought i was seeing things :arrow: funny though.