Andy Irons Dies

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Re: Andy Irons Dies

Post by black duck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:52 pm

steve shearer wrote:The desire for the clothing companies to keep the surf media as an extension of their marketing arms (and under a similar level of control) and maintain a perfect sunny image to sell product to kids has now taken a severe battering, perhaps a terminal hit, which could change things forever.

An overturning of the existing cosy relationship between the surf media and the clothing corps.
Not sure it will have such far reaching implications SS. Could be more like a small blip, considering the majority of surf apparel is sold to people who would barely remember AI's name.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:58 pm

oldman wrote:Sure,I understand your point Hano, I just doubt that such a drug exists.

My experience with drugs, more legal than illegal but that's another story, is not that they turn you into some superman, but that they enhance one or more parts of you, invariably to the detriment of other parts.

So with your experience you’re no more qualified than i to give a just account of the advantages or disadvantages that new age drugs could have on professional surfing. I too can only make my assumptions on hearsay.
So I’ll agree to disagree

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote: With MP do you mean other than the bongs?
Yeh, Rockin I'm sure he isn't refering to a quiet reefer behind the shower block.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:37 pm

First up, Nick...with respect take a deep breath. Let that sh.it go. Your candid and emotional response is both honourable and understandable. This is an internet forum and there will always be dikheads, sh.it stirrers and the ignorant. I have been all 3...sometimes at the same time. Sometimes deliberately, sometimes not.

I am not going into what I have done or not done but I have seen people self destruct to finality and I was involved...but not responsible. We are all responsible for our own actions and I bet, no I actually know, AI would not disagree with that. He was a man.

Resistance is sincerely futile..everyone just needs to accept was is. People take drugs, all kinds of drugs, some also die. Its not unique to surfing nor are judges, politicians, nurses , dr's, plumbers , teachers etc immune. The rest of this forum tread really is just speculation and innuendo. No one really knows what happened. You can all form and share your own views and no one, should point any fingers or feel fingered..you decide how you feel about something...but only if you stay in control of your being, not your thoughts.

The question I have is...how do we know his drug use caused the stenosis in the artery?..we dont ! Yes, as I have learned chronic coke users can suffer this BUT...so can ultra marathon runners who eat carrots !! Think I dont know what I am talking about? An ex girlfriends dad who was a carpenter, and used to run from Sydney to Melbourne died walking up the stairs in the family home at 39. He was dead before he hit the ground. Does anyone know whether that is exactly what happened to AI or not? No..its speculation. Drugs, could have nothing to do with it or they could have been the cause. I dont know, the coroner doesnt know, just has an expert opinion and whether you believe it or not.. you (meaning everyone) doesnt know either.

We are all human and all have faults and talents....lets try to focus on his talents..he bought a lot of joy and inspiration to many surfers, me included.

bigwayne

Post by bigwayne » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:18 am

mr dont surf , it would seem that you have a learned outlook on life and your post was succinct , methinks that big mr carrol , too close to all of this to give a unbiased post , and chiming in to make your point the way you have big mr carrol has made your post seem a little petulant . one is sure that was not the objective .

one has to admit that one has imbibed before a surf ; still half cut and the hair of the dog , 25000 bongs , and lines of coke and goey that would kill said dog , all going around on their lonesome and in colusion , and have found not one of these had anything other than detrimental affects on ones immense abilty.

surfing "straight" has to be way , have a good session in the water and go home with a longbottle or 5 and kick back, the only line of thought on these "recreational" drugs is , thats what the kids are doing these days , but are they not for the "nightlife" , taking them to surf better?
ponder this, what if your feerless leeder was on the eccys just paddled out and saw yourself catch a really good wave and got a stoke out of it? what if bigwayne 6'4" 107kgs was all amourous and wanting to "congragulate" the hell out of you? or worse still you let ones handsomeself?

some thing to ponder seeing as though we have gone on a small tangent

this was bought to you by a no longer on the drugs HRH bigwayne

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 pm

bigwayne wrote:this was bought to you by a no longer on the drugs HRH bigwayne
You sure about that? :shock:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Never really surfed when charging on speed but that and maybe coke would be the two obvious contenders for performance enhancement just like every other sport. It may well have been used to get some competitors in a fit state to compete after drunken excesses the night before.
Talking about spliffs is just clouding the bong waters. In fact I can safely say they have put the mockers on way too many epic session in the old days.
These days when everyone has personal trainers and diet programs it seems less likely but who knows. Its not tested is it.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:16 pm

If the surf media was supposed to expose every surfer taking drugs, recreationally, occasionally or habitually, there'd be hardly any pages left. Is this really "news". Do I need to know that AI had a drug problem? Do I need to know Penny Wong is gay?

I think the decision not to report Irons' private drug problems was the right one. It's none of our business. And I don't think that by reporting it Irons would have been forced to kick his habit. For all we know it might have entrenched it.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:52 pm

buzzy wrote:Do I need to know Penny Wong is gay?
Say what now?

Damn, I thought i had a chance. She's one fine speciman of a woman.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:15 pm

buzzy wrote:Do I need to know that AI had a drug problem? Do I need to know Penny Wong is gay?
I'm not 100% on the rules of the ASP with regards to drug use but for the sake of argument I will assume that the ASP prohibits the use of recreational drugs like almost every other professional sport.

As such the two examples you gave are quite different. Cocaine is an illegal substance, which in certain circumstances can be considered performance enhancing and give andy the edge over his competitors. As such it it probably in the public's interest to know that he is breaking the rules. After all the spectators are the ones who fund the whole tour.

The public should also have a right to know that Penny Wong is gay, even though she isn't breaking any laws. It gives the public an indication on how she may vote on certain issues. I'm sure if one of her constituents was opposed to gay marriage, they would want to know the sexual orientation of their federal member.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:17 pm

TMC wrote:I'm not 100% on the rules of the ASP with regards to drug use but for the sake of argument I will assume that the ASP prohibits the use of recreational drugs like almost every other professional sport.
This might clarify things for you

http://www.surfinglife.com.au/news/asl- ... ns-we-face

by the way bohdidontsurf: thank you. It's not that easy for me, the letting go. Maybe when I've been able to write an account of it.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
jimmy1501 wrote:What I find amusing is that NC congratulated Ted on the Inertia article when he is partly responsible by not reporting AI's drug issues earlier or indeed ever. Surely you were aware Nick but why didn't you risk that bracelet to potentially save a life? AI wanted to come clean yet was silenced by the machine...He might still be with us had someone in the industry spoken up..

Nick.. Are you a journo or a bracelet wearer? You of all people should know what drugs do to people.... But some people come clean and get better.. Unfortunately Andy wasn't allowed to do that..
You find this amusing, do you.

Well f--k eh. I don't.

I'm pretty disgusted by your implication that by not reporting AI's drug use before his death, I'm partly responsible for that death. You want to be bloody careful issuing responsibility like that.
its not the first time Jimmy has wrongly implied someone is responsible for another's misfortune.
I cant work out if he's just half stupid or does it for kicks.

just remember he knows all the facts he read on the back of a chewy wrapper
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:01 pm

marcus wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
jimmy1501 wrote:What I find amusing is that NC congratulated Ted on the Inertia article when he is partly responsible by not reporting AI's drug issues earlier or indeed ever. Surely you were aware Nick but why didn't you risk that bracelet to potentially save a life? AI wanted to come clean yet was silenced by the machine...He might still be with us had someone in the industry spoken up..

Nick.. Are you a journo or a bracelet wearer? You of all people should know what drugs do to people.... But some people come clean and get better.. Unfortunately Andy wasn't allowed to do that..
You find this amusing, do you.

Well f--k eh. I don't.

I'm pretty disgusted by your implication that by not reporting AI's drug use before his death, I'm partly responsible for that death. You want to be bloody careful issuing responsibility like that.
its not the first time Jimmy has wrongly implied someone is responsible for another's misfortune.
I cant work out if he's just half stupid or does it for kicks.

just remember he knows all the facts he read on the back of a chewy wrapper

Well I don't have an IQ of 1273 or a 12 foot penis but I reckon I'm right on this one and have not read the back of a chewy wrapper in some time....

My point is and has always been that everyone in the industry and a lot of people who aren't knew about Andy's problems and no one stepped up to the plate to help.. The people who knew effectively enabled that behaviour... If a journo had written an article in one of the mainstream publications about drug use on the tour then maybe, just maybe the sponsors might have stepped up and the ASbloodyP might have introduced drug testing(and lets be honest. everyone knew about it)....
I had some contact with Fanning after the event and all he had to say was "please look after each other "..
For me it's the same as the Sarge issue and whilst I agree with Shearers comment about him being a dead man walking essentially if someone had have written about it years before maybe Sarge and more importantly his victims would be better off right now.. Surf journalism needs to change and I will never apologise for that. It's only the like of Shearer,Pawle,Brad and Ted that will make those changes.. Otherwise the sport is a spin doctoring joke
(NB. Its funny that Brodie won't speak to Shearer or Pawle but will speak to to people on the "inside" and not the "outside")
It's all about press releases and not journalism....
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Jimmy, I can only assume that your inside (or outside) knowledge of Andy's drug use meant you were firing off daily missives to the ASP management team?
Would seem like the decent thing to do, if it was such an open secret.

p.s. might be time to change your avatar...
Last edited by alakaboo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:53 pm

TMC wrote:The public should also have a right to know that Penny Wong is gay, even though she isn't breaking any laws. It gives the public an indication on how she may vote on certain issues. I'm sure if one of her constituents was opposed to gay marriage, they would want to know the sexual orientation of their federal member.
I'm sure it wouldn't make a lick of difference.
Because they'd be voting for Tony or Bob anyway.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:04 pm

alakaboo wrote:Jimmy, I can only assume that your inside (or outside) knowledge of Andy's drug use meant you were firing off daily missives to the ASP management team?
Would seem like the decent thing to do, if it was such an open secret.

p.s. might be time to change your avatar...
Yes Boo I did try to engage them but they have their heads so far up there backsides that it's not worth the effort... And the Avatar is there for a reason... Especially the Halo..
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Jimmy ... your understanding and approach to drug users lacks total compassion and understanding .. who was your sage on the the psychology of drug use? Bruce Ruxton or Joh Bejelke Peterson ? Does the concept of personal responsibility not resonate with you at all? or do you go through life blaming others for your issues ? let me guess

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:00 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:Jimmy ... your understanding and approach to drug users lacks total compassion and understanding .. who was your sage on the the psychology of drug use? Bruce Ruxton or Joh Bejelke Peterson ? Does the concept of personal responsibility not resonate with you at all? or do you go through life blaming others for your issues ? let me guess
No cockhead.. I took drugs through all of my 20's and am ashamed that I did it in to my 30's.. I had a baby and that changed my ways... You then realise that you have more to live for and despite the fact that I have had issues I believe I am now a good dad and will continue to be so now that my drug abuse problems are under control.. I have several friends who have supported me and I am thankful for that support because otherwise I might have ended up like Andy and i would hate to think that I would die alone in a hotel room.....
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote: