Andy Irons Dies

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Re: Andy Irons Dies

Post by Karlos » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:26 pm

steve shearer wrote:That has to be the lamest, limp-ckoked piece of writing ever construed by a human being outside the stool pigeons who wrote for the Soviets.

His equation of journalism with gossip rags gives a clear indication of the tenor of his thinking.
It's an appalling admission of his (& his peers') mediocrity. I'd be embarrassed to put my name to that bit of writing. His lack of knowledge of what journalism is (or isn't) just proves that he's no more than an advertising copywriter. It's not like the mags are all that far removed from fcuking store catalogues anyway right? They've just got more pages in 'em.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Cmon Steve, surf magazines died the day Tracks went to the e-map format - we all know it. Theres nothing left anymore, its all gone. I've seen the dead cow eyes behind the typewriter on all of the surfing magazines, all struggling to break even next to a stable of dirt bike rags and teenage sealed sections on how to give the best hand jobs. Any journalism model that relies on advertising dollars instead or readership is dead.

True surf writers at the moment are like the jedi circa Star Wars Episode III - hunted into isolation by a vast, ruinous empire funded on chinese sneakers and plastic.

Tim Baker and Nick Carrol are merely the apprentices of ruined emperors, sent out across the land to spread the cancer, hiding behind '8 layers of gold' and 'dawnie pushies'

Swellnet and coastalwatch fight for surf cam views by boaties and fishermen, recyling 'Indo sessions' and badly written reviews of badly written books.

...its over...
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:49 am

------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Coops@DY wrote:Image
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wp-content/uploads/2009/07/AI-001.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

WTF???
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:35 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/court-bl ... 199yn.html

WTF!!? - isn't this move going to create a new media frenzy and pretty much confirm the speculation.

baddy
Grommet

Post by baddy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Unfortunatley andy is dead drugs not so wildy it would seem are speculated to be the cause of his death .
The elephant in the room i haven't seen canvased anywhere and i write this with some
trepidation as i sure don't know. But the possibility of suicide may raise it's head !
and i am sorry to write it but it is bound to emerge as speculation mounts . :(

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:15 pm

baddy wrote:Unfortunatley andy is dead drugs not so wildy it would seem are speculated to be the cause of his death .
The elephant in the room i haven't seen canvased anywhere and i write this with some
trepidation as i sure don't know. But the possibility of suicide may raise it's head !
You ever get into Japanese New Wave cinema, mate?
------------

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:21 pm

i write this with some trepidation: oooooohhhhh!!! aaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!! eeeeeeeiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!! tttttteeeeeeehhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:16 am

pinhead wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/sport/court-bl ... 199yn.html

WTF!!? - isn't this move going to create a new media frenzy and pretty much confirm the speculation.
It's hard to think this will harm his "brand" and any long term financial benefit as stated in the petition from Lyndie Irons. If by "brand" they mean reputation, then I think the potential damage from not releasing the report is perhaps greater as speculation will run riot again. If by the "brand" they mean Billabong, once again, I dont think people will stop buying the product if AI was seen to be a drug user. If anything, the manner of his death may increase the potential earnings of Lyndie as interviews are sought by media outlets and movie bio deals arise and people's interest grows. I know many non-surfers, paticularly women, who have become intrigued by the case, especially given the birth of his child.
All in all, it would be nice if some good were to come of the whole mess.

baddy
Grommet

Post by baddy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:27 am

Coops@DY wrote:
baddy wrote:Unfortunatley andy is dead drugs not so wildy it would seem are speculated to be the cause of his death .
You ever get into Japanese New Wave cinema, mate?

nope but i grew up in manly if that helps !

baddy
Grommet

Post by baddy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:37 am

Lucky Al wrote:i write this with some trepidation: oooooohhhhh!!! aaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!! eeeeeeeiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!! tttttteeeeeeehhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
reason for trepiidation now appearing !
i was trying to be sensitive .
but ah fcuk it does it say anywhere he didn't .

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:20 pm

baddy, i reckon u could be right. i saw the asp highlights for chopes one sunday a few weeks back. they interviewed AI. he said it would be good to win one more event before he, then he pulled himself up, thought for a sec and then said retired. if you saw it youd know what i mean.
perhaps he had bipolar? depression and drug use seem to go hand in hand with that at times. extreme highs ,lower lows. paper reports reckon he was partying the night before. perhaps a bad come down on top of a low period? offed himself?it doesnt matter now anyway, seems like the brand (billabong) are in damage control. how is it gunna be for another 6 months on his wife mentally? knowing that shit is still to come out, and all the rumours in the meantime. should just get it out there and let the media roll its course. be old news pretty quick anyway. his initial death was only 1/2 page buried in sports pages, shoulda been bigger than that.
id like to bet the surf mags dont report shit on it come june. but those odds would be about $1.05 :wink:

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 pm

Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:12 pm

That's shocking. Aren't you supposed to take Menthos and Coke?

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:42 pm

What ever the tox report says, AI was a bloody awesome surfer!

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:13 pm

We all walk on the same ground.
------------

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:20 pm

What I don't understand was the delay to get to this... What did it achieve?

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Hey banga, Maybe it had something to do with the family's pain... they had to live with that shite in his life and now to be reminded of that pain in his death is a kick in the guts - not to mention the fact he was so well known... their shame is exponentially multiplied in the glare. I feel for those people.