Andy Irons Dies

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Andy Irons Dies

Post by Kunji » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 am

TrevG wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:Way to ruin a thread, kids. :roll:
:?: :?: :?:
Are you a few posts out Coops?
Huh?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 am

loofy wrote:Maybe now we can leave the drug stuff alone........no methadone found.
Read the article, and I mean the quotes from the cops, not the paraphrasing of the very well regarded TMZ. :roll: They said they have no evidence of whether there was methadone in his system or not. One would assume this is because toxicology reports can take months to compile...
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:49 am

it's amazing how everyone argues over how he died when he shared so much good stuff when he was alive :arrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phmQJO3hUC4&feature=fvst

anyone else want post up some clips him rippin :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:53 am

Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

TheWhiteDuck

Post by TheWhiteDuck » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:59 am

32 - way way too young

Glad they cleared up the Methadone thing - Surfers don't do drugs !!! do they ???
""If theres a bustle in your hedgerow, Dont be alarmed now,
Its just a spring clean for the May Queen.""

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:32 pm

TMC wrote: Also don't be mistaken and let sentiment get in the way of the facts... Let's not mythologise the Andy Irons saga, because that shows more disrespect than anything, being remembered for something he wasn't.

The guy took drugs and openly bashed people. In spite of (or because of) this he was an extremely competitive cnut of a guy, and that is what made his an amazing competitor which in turn made him a great surfer. Remember him for that, not as this rose coloured smiling friend of everyone who handed out lollypops to crippled kids. Remember him for who he was, not what you wished he was.
This could be the first balanced summation in this forum of AI the man. I think others on this website have fallen into the trap so humorously expressed in The Chasers "Eulogy Song".

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:00 pm

The guy was one of the best surfers ever. In his prime he owned and rattled Slater....he was better than Slater for 3 solid years, was THE MAN at 8 foot plus chopes, and he smoked Slater in 6-8 foot Pipe on the buzzer in the 2006-7 Pipe Master when it really counted..big perfect pits. Its a shame he passed cause he was so entertaining and you could feel at some stage he was gonna come back and rampage another title.

i didnt know him, good bloke or not i dont know but his surfing was nothing short of amazing and deserves respect for that.

RIP AI

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:15 pm

lovenutz wrote: In his prime he owned and rattled Slater....he was better than Slater for 3 solid years, was THE MAN at 8 foot plus chopes, and he smoked Slater in 6-8 foot Pipe on the buzzer in the 2006-7 Pipe Master when it really counted..big perfect pits.
RIP AI
Smoked, rattled and owned Slater?
Great surfer, definitely. Yep he managed to beat Slater but sorry there lovenutz thats a hard won set of victories not a thrashing.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:48 pm

I wouldn't say AI "owned" Slater, but he certainly did rattle him. Even if it was just that AI could consistantly match Slater and even beat him.

That definately rattled Slater.

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:48 pm

From someone who knew him better than most.

http://joelparko.com/
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:30 pm

So sad. Doesn't matter how he went, just a massive shame.

One of my fav surfers of all time. Powerful, stylish, and fearless whilst being so casual. His performances at Chopes and Pipe over the years were just mind blowing.

If someone can post up the footage of him from Blue horizon of that crazy late take-off at Chopes it'd be cool. Here's some nuts stuff of him, with a similar crazy late drop at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRnVCTxZ ... 1&index=42

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:16 pm

brenno05 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uwtqRBE4Kk

Andy Irons- Why i surf Clip.....this is the best clip of him in my opinion...so open and candid.
That clip now has a particularly prescient and haunting quality about it.

I didn't know AI; but like other people on these forums I've felt rattled by his untimely death this week. Perhaps it's the fact that he regularly displayed seemingly superhuman feats in extreme situations. Perhaps it was that Andy was no angel and seemed to suffer the same human frailties that we all grapple with. Perhaps it was the fact that as an expectant first time father, I feel for his wife having to deal with a hideous scenario weeks out from giving birth to their first child.

Whatever the case Andy's passing has made me pause and contemplate my own mortality

Andy was way too young to die.
Last edited by Chong on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:28 pm

We are having a paddle out at North Avalon on Sunday. 3pm.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:30 pm

Fair play Chong..

I agree with your post and also think that for the benefit of anyone who might be suffering from demons it is best that the "Machine" comes clean..

Not that it will ever happen.. All the mags will toe the line for fear of losing advertising $$ and no one will report the full story in the industry.. Even Stab has been quiet..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah good one mate. There are over 200 people coming... Some are famous surfers and others simply out of respect. Get it.... RESPECT :roll:

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:55 pm

There is also going to be one on the Gold Coast and Manly on the same day... I think we call it "The surfing community"...

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au