Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:28 am

(to er)
well as long as they live on islands it's OK.

Otherwise they are wretched perpetuators of a cross cultural mockery that makes white boy rock'n'roll look as original as hip-hop. isn't that right GSTQ.

GSTQ?

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:52 am

Davros wrote:Just on the board test theme. Nick do you think punters at least need to be an advanced surfer to write about, review or sell surfboards. I note a web site Compare Surfboards where the affable NB's ex pat American acknowledges his surfing level as average reviews and pretty much advertises boards, additionally I'm pretty sure it's a "cash for comment" for some brands ala Lost and CI. I guess it's buyer beware.
Look I don't know if you need to be an advanced surfer to test surfboards on behalf of a large number of readers etc, but I do think it helps.

In general I feel a really skilled and articulate surfer can tell you way more about a board after a short period of riding it than can someone whose skills are pretty average. This is kinda partly based on my own surfing experience; it's also based on what I sense here and among other surfers of my more direct personal acquaintance.

You've also gotta remember that when you're reviewing a board for an actual readership as opposed to just yourself, you're not just doing it on your own "affable average bloke" behalf. There's a lot of surfers and the skill and experience range is vast - broader now than it's ever been in fact. So if you are gonna command the attention of such a broad group, and actually advise them on a purchase, then you better be coming from a place a bit better than average. (That said, you've also got to understand that not everyone is going to want the same things from a board that you do.)

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:30 am

Nick Carroll wrote:(to er)

Otherwise they are wretched perpetuators of a cross cultural mockery that makes white boy rock'n'roll look as original as hip-hop. isn't that right GSTQ.

GSTQ?

he's busy lying down resting after surfing THREE DAYS IN A ROW

Cranked
Snowy McAllister

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:44 am

Plus medication.

Nick, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a long, single, deep concave (3/4") in a short board
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

ajohnsen
Snowy McAllister

Post by ajohnsen » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:50 am

Nick, do you lead the life of Riley?

Legion
Duke Status

Post by Legion » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:51 am

I surf singles, although not as deep as your mccoy. I think you need to remind Nick to qualify his comments with how wide that tail is.

For me, they feel more slippery and alive. I can make them jump out of the gate more, like instant acceleration. But they're not the happiest planing in a straight line in bouncy water. They like to be constantly working. They feel like a jumpy puppy, compared to a more sedate mature dog like old flat bottoms I've had. My boards are the polar opposite of yours though, I prefer slim and tiny and undervolumed.

<mediocre surfer/>

Cranked
Snowy McAllister

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:58 am

McCoy! CONCAVE! How very dare you!

Nah Legion, its the Wilkes, 6'6, 20.5, 16" tail, about 43l

But the question wasn't about a specific board but boards in general with a single deep concave. For instance, Wilkes reckon they track a bit, so recommends smaller fins, especially in the base

Ditto on the mediocre surfer.

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:07 am

Cranked wrote:Plus medication.

Nick, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a long, single, deep concave (3/4") in a short board
Well assuming everything else about the board is set right (good rocker, outline, fin positions etc)

Advantages: increased lift=less friction=speed; rail turns accentuated and their effectiveness increased; wider range of wave size can be coped with; possible wave-catching advantage for stronger paddlers

Disadvantages: board won't slide; bigger airs harder to cope with on landing; higher technical skill demands (greater lift/speed means accurate turn placement becomes more important)

I think also the assumption we started with here is likely not to hold too true for a lot of board makers, super concave is tricky, like channels, you don't have to be too far off the mark to make a dog.

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:08 am

ajohnsen wrote:Nick, do you lead the life of Riley?
Who is this Riley person?

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:14 am

Cranked wrote:For instance, Wilkes reckon they track a bit, so recommends smaller fins, especially in the base
They track when the rocker isn't balanced against the concave; when this happens the water won't release throughout the rail line and will get a bit trapped under the lip of the rail in parts, which sorta pins the board on a straight line.

It's a sign that your mate needs to work a bit more on the design.

You definitely don't need as much fin volume on a super concave, just like with six-channels, the lift portion of a fin's function is provided by the concave. What you do need from fins in a super concave is feel. I dunno about the base thing, like one of the best fins I've ever used with MC super concaves is the small C-Drive template, which is mostly base (RCJ uses these fins on his megawave towboards). What the C-Drive does have is a lot of feel thanks to all the different little curves and shit.

The Mighty Sunbird
Snowy McAllister

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:22 am

I find throwing the shaka is a great way to mortify my teenaged offspring.

And because I live on an island, it's totes authentic.

And, I refuse to be limited to only small airs, so no long single deep concave for me.
Erase.

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:03 pm

The Sunbird: always a rebel.

ajohnsen
Snowy McAllister

Post by ajohnsen » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
ajohnsen wrote:Nick, do you lead the life of Riley?
Who is this Riley person?
Well, not Derek, although I'm sure he's living the life.

The Mighty Sunbird
Snowy McAllister

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:48 pm

if James Dean threw shakas, he would almost be me
Erase.

Cranked
Snowy McAllister

Post by Cranked » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks Nick, I'll see how it goes.

godsavethequeen
Owl status

Post by godsavethequeen » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Cranked, I switched from a surftech lazor zap to the lost weekend warrior, which has a deep single concave and a wide tail. I'm not sure how much of a 'dome' is on the zap - I never measured it - but it seems like the bottom contours of the surftechs were less extreme than McCoy shaped boards. It wouldn't surprise me if it's essentially flat.

Anyway, using the same fins in both boards (fibreglass pancho sullivan futures), the zap is incredibly loose but feels sticky. To get it moving you have to squirt it forwards with your back foot, like tic-tacking a skateboard up a hill. The weekend warrior is stiffer, even surfing it right back off the kicktail on the pad, but has more of its own natural speed (the rocker is quite a bit flatter than the zap, of course) and you can surf it more from the middle of the board if you want to.

The main difference in feel between the two is that while the zap (and other McCoys I've ridden) is dependable through turns but predictable (not necessarily in a bad way), the weekend warrior accelerates more. A couple of times in recent surfs I've gone for a bread and butter closeout re-entry with my normal turn pressure and found myself a foot or two above the lip. I don't fully understand how it surfs yet but it's got me excited almost to the point of flipping shakas at strangers

JET01
charger

Post by JET01 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:10 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:(to er)

GSTQ?
Australia, world's largest island.... :-)(
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Legion
Duke Status

Post by Legion » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:38 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:A couple of times in recent surfs I've gone for a bread and butter closeout re-entry with my normal turn pressure and found myself a foot or two above the lip.
Commonly referred to as a "flyaway kickout".