Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The Carroll Question Thread

Post by Spoon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Are you up for a RS barbie and when and where would it suit?
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 pm

What scares you?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
mical wrote:Q. Why stop posting here?
it's time to find some other way of achieving a similar end.
Facebook or Twitter?
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:59 pm

I have no question.

Just wanted to say that for a guy who earns his living by writing words you've been extremely generous in the number of unpaid ones you've unleashed here. Your honesty and willingness to share info has been appreciated.

A few years ago I had one of those 'Ahh, I get it now ' moments when you replied to something I posted - I realised that there's absolutely no way an exchange like that could have taken place years ago before this wideworldofwebintrament thingy (ie the promises of the information age may actually be delivered in some small way). So thanks for that.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Carroll is generous, thats one of his defining characteristics.

Of all human qualities, generosity, in word, deed and spirit is in my opinion the most admirable, and usually the rarest.

His other defining characteristic is this kind of bombastic world consuming laugh that comes at any point in the conversation and eventually becomes completely infectious.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Does it do your head in that some, perhaps many, people can't relate to you as a normal human being, vacillating between sucking up in some sort of way while the others will want to go ya because you are almost famous?

Or that so many people you meet will have a pre-judgment about you if they have heard of you, even if they don't really know you from a bar of soap, but once read an article you wrote in 1979?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Nick, what do you make of this? What do you see here?

------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:59 pm

oldman wrote:Does it do your head in that some, perhaps many, people can't relate to you as a normal human being, vacillating between sucking up in some sort of way while the others will want to go ya because you are almost famous?

Or that so many people you meet will have a pre-judgment about you if they have heard of you, even if they don't really know you from a bar of soap, but once read an article you wrote in 1979?

^^^^
Are you suggesting TPS? :roll:
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:24 pm

steve shearer wrote:Carroll is generous, thats one of his defining characteristics.

Of all human qualities, generosity, in word, deed and spirit is in my opinion the most admirable, and usually the rarest.

His other defining characteristic is this kind of bombastic world consuming laugh that comes at any point in the conversation and eventually becomes completely infectious.
Why don't you sit on his face, mate? :lol:
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi NC, you've interacted with me on several surf forums and you know that my life has been dedicated to change with a propensity to move on to new and different things, some would say I have a short attention span. I have come to surfing late in life and with an obssessive compulsive rush. My questions are, have you ever got over the whole scene and felt like moving to another sport/passtime just to freshen up your life? Do you participate in any other sport/passtime on a regular basis (golf?). I know I got over motorcycles after a 30yr love affair and I couldn't be bothered with em anymore.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:08 pm

oldman wrote:
speedneedle wrote:But I did also notice that your post-count is not moving, not getting closer to the 6000-
I think that is the second time this question has been asked.

Take a look at your own post count josh. It doesn't count in order of post, it just tells you the post count, so every entry you have made is now showing the same.

I think.
Hey Olds, you're right...

As you were then.

Josh

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
skipper wrote:Thanks for your time here Nick.
In the spirit of all things RS, a couple of lightweight quips and then a few serious ones.

1. Which thread have you most enjoyed participating in?
1. And of course, which thread have you least enjoyed ...in or avoided?
Now for some serious ones.
1. Have you had trouble getting through on here with your iPhone today? Is it this pesky southerly?
1. What are tonights winning lotto numbers?
1. Do you think god is a goofy footer?
KK's epic North Narrabeen Local thread.

Hmm I was kind of disgusted with the response to the death of Saxon Bird last April by some people on this forum. The crassness and ignorance in the face of what had occurred I found pretty offensive and surprising. I nearly just bailed right then actually.

I haven't attempted to log on using an iPhone today.

I don't know.

I don't believe in the existence of any god.
I'm sorry about that, it was unforgiveable.
Our mong faction let loose :cry:

ps
Jean-Paul Sartre describes humanity undressed, there was set in 1940 that slammed nearly all of us if you were to change the setting to now.
If you haven't come across "Intimacies", a book of short stories, the last one "The Childhood of a Leader" ought to be a must read for all persons above the age of ~16.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:16 pm

betty boop wrote:Nick Nack,

My surfing crazy neighbour was thinking of leaving school early.

He is clever and very good at English, but hasn't found his calling yet.

Have you any sage or not so sage advice for him? He is 16 yr old and still in Year 10.
Well as I said I don't really trust advice. But I do think the world is a big place and there are more ways to skin a cat now than ever. At some point we all tend to learn the lesson of delayed gratification -- the ability to do what is necessary in the service of a bigger goal -- but at 16? Too much. Some people are suited to the HSC at the age it's demanded of them, others aren't. But this is a subject for his parents, not for me.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:20 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:dear nick, can you name all "the judges" who are currently working on the asp tour :?:
Bear with me -- I am researching this and will be back with a full answer soon. As with most things concerning professional surfing, it is a bigger field than you might guess at first glance. There is a travelling panel working at World Title event level, and they are assisted at each stop by local ASP-qualified judges. Again, I'll be back with a full answer on it soon.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Hatchman wrote:I have another one

Do you plan on making another doco like Bombora? As far as surf doco's go this was by far one of the best I have seen
I recently completed a show designed for both television and DVD release on the 2009 Eddie Aikau event; it should show on various networks globally in the coming month or so.

I am also currently working on another documentary series with the Bombora team, this time a three-parter on a social history of the car in Australia; its working title is "Wide Open Road", and if all goes to plan it should show on ABC1 sometime late next year.

I have various other surfing film and TV projects in the works -- a couple of 'em are real crackers and I really hope they get the funding they need.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Womble wrote:Ok ... I've got another ... George Greenough ... your thoughts on the man and his contribution to surfing ... bearing in mind that there is more than one aspect to the question and subsequent answer.

And another ... which came first the chicken or the egg? ... do you freeball in your wetsuit or wear budgie smugglers? ... are you leaving the realsurf forums to try and increase activity on the ASL site? ... or has this been some kind of deranged social experiment gone wrong? ... like communism.
Thats not a question as in do you like communism? ... but a statement as in gone wrong like communism ... your real name wouldn't be Nikolai Karoleski by chance? ... comrade ... are you still writing poetry? ... if so could you post an poem perchance thanking you in advance?
Greenough -- like many kneeboard riders -- clearly pre-dates high performance surfing by many years. His design ideas were ludicrously ahead of their time, yet instantly became OF their time once released into the hands of other surfers (ie Nat etc). I think his movie "Innermost Limits" and the sequences of the boys surfing Lennox is as close to the best feelings of surfing as you can get on screen. As far as the man himself, my only contact with him was very disappointing; I've reported elsewhere on that and it's best left there for now I reckon.

The egg clearly pre-dates the chicken.

I don't wear anything under a wetsuit ever.

I've described my motives for being involved in Realsurf elsewhere. As I've noted, I'm not sure what's next in the field for me. ASL is a client and I might find a bigger online home there, but it depends on what I decide to do.

Yeah I am still writing poetry, but I will choose not to publish any of it here.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:35 pm

skipper wrote:Really appreciate your replies Nick even for the pithy shit. And ditto on Hatchies querie, though I wanted to ask your thoughts on a suggestion to document RealSurf forums. ?
Book or even fillum to produce a portrait of contemporary surfing and surfers vis vis the rhizomic tangents that manifest from a group who share one passion but discover a depth and bredth of opinions and ideas unimaginable in any other group who share a common interest/activity.???
I think the Realsurf forums are interesting to the participants, but I doubt they'd be of much interest to anyone else.