Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Beanpole » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:45 pm

I think there may be an element of that involved.
Like when I do a crap job of it myself.
Strangely she will often comment on my shirts when I return from work looking like an unmade bed :roll:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:18 pm

well the thing is on these new high performance boards, everything has to be tuned close. rocker, foil, outline, concave, it's kinda got to fit close.

try to picture it a bit different, like the concave gives you a whole lot of different rocker lines, but the biggest difference is between the rail rocker and the stringer rocker. You want the straightest stringer rocker to be through the foot or so in front of the back fin, so you wanna place the concave so it flows into and out of that place.

On little boards like these ones, it also seems to help if you shift the fin set up a bit further, like maybe 1/8" to 1/4", which engages all the board better. That automatically shifts the concave a little further up too.

I too would rather not go swaylocky on it so I'll stop here.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:Nice. What I need is waves like that. That would rekindle things nicely.

Is it just me or is Jordy flying at the moment?
He appears to be; although Trestles and that wave in the vid Legion posted appear to suit his style.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Legion wrote:Nick, I know it's been discussed in the past that moving ASP events is logistically impossible but can you foresee a format where they can have a mobile tour? Seems the remote audience is way bigger than the live audience so even if we get a slightly delayed telecast they could film it, then stream it from a base nearby to handle the global bandwidth.

I'm asking in response to the absolutely shitty conditions they ran Portugal at two days ago, compared to the crisp, clean beachbreak that all the competitors were at the day before. Surely ASP/redbull/zosea/world waterman league tour/whatever can see that that would make them look 1000 times better than what happened, murky brown water, onshore rippy slop.

https://vimeo.com/108867044
well I was under the impression that the event was actually mobile to that very location. Silly me.

silly them really. Cause that spot is gonna be off its face for a week while the contest site is gonna SUCK.

In answer to your question, I can foresee pretty much anything but in reality I would think the WCT is moving further away from mobile events. That's not US sport style at all and it works against a live broadcast. There may be a shift toward better locations in 2015, that is if the free money hasn't run out. I remain utterly sceptical about the long term viability of this new tour business model; just cant imagine how it will work without constant injections of financial support, and surely at some point it will look like good money after bad. Anyway thats another subject. In the meantime yeah, I would guess, no mobile events.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Has there ever been a WCT event when the waves at Supertubes have been epic? I'm sure there must have been but I'm struggling to remember it
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:08 pm

two years ago GSTQ......maybe it was three.

DeSouza defeated Slater in the Final......

twas a tubefest from start to finis.

but, yeah it's a bit weird because that comp was mobile not that long ago.........now they seem locked into Supertubos, which when it isn't great tend to be fcuking atrocious.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:04 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Hey Nick. Have u ever spent anytime surfing those beaches west of Auckland like Piha and Bethells Beach. They look like they have some real potential , good exposure to groundswells , plentiful black sand packed in hard, natural creeks flowing out to the ocean etc.. They look like they'd offer some real consistency

If u have spent time surfing around there, what's it like ?
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:44 pm

I have.

Plenty of swell often too much and can cop a bit of weather, pretty much the same with all west coast NZ beaches. Can get good but the quality is no better than Sydney on a good day. A bit more grunt though. Wouldn't head there especially to surf those beaches. Much better spots on offer. As Piha is the closest beach to Auckland It is pretty much as crowded as any popular Sydney beach too.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:11 am

Ok thanks. So not many spots handle the size ? So it maxes out ? I have heard the banks can be pretty dependable with the sandbanks tending to 'Stay put' better.. Not sure it was just some cuzzy bro' talking it up at the time though ..
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:18 am

Spent 4 years living in Auckland. You can get some fun sessions out at Piha and Muriwai but there are also times when the wind blows 30+knots onshore and the swell can be an unruly 8 - 10 foot for weeks on end. If your living in Auckland it's a 40 min drive out to Piha or 1 hour 45 minutes down to Raglan, and Raglan can handle a SW or S wind.

And if your in Auckland, the other option is north east coast.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:34 am

yeah sorry hatchy I have no experience at all of it, andy and channels seem to have it covered

If you want to see Piha at its most hectic, look up the Uncle Toby's 1996 super clubby race on Youtube.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:55 pm

by the way, how FCUKED UP is Kelly

540 flat air?
Among numerous other things that's gotta be a psychological kick in the nuts for everyone else on tour.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Crazy.
Yeah, he's past his prime, struggling to keep up, etc, etc, then he pulls off something like that.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

brownhornet
Grommet

Post by brownhornet » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Hey nick have you tried surfinz boxes at all? Compatible with fcs and a few comments in old posts but not much of presence on their homepage . Interested in what value you think there is in adjustable fin boxes. Hype or worth an install?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Yeah I have a few boards with Surfinz boxes, I think they're fine. I really like the ability to move fins a bit up and down the box so they work for me. Not in all boards but.

I would not recommend shiftable fin boxes for everyone, you really have to know why you're getting 'em. They are not as secure as tight fit boxes and it strikes me that a lot of people are baffled enough about fin sets without throwing in the complexity of shifting fins up and down.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:by the way, how FCUKED UP is Kelly

540 flat air?
Among numerous other things that's gotta be a psychological kick in the nuts for everyone else on tour.
What is the JJF call out about? Is that KS stirring the pot?