Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Kunji » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Braithy wrote:
Wubic Pig wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
ajohnsen wrote:Nick, what strategies do you employ to build your own personal brand?
Fcuk, I don't know. I was thinking the other day just how inattentive I am to that stuff. I have Twitter and Instagram accounts but I never have used either, not one Tweet or picture. I don't have an agent and I don't really pursue a role as a public figure or commentator or whatever. I probably should do all that, but I don't think I want that kind of life. I want to do a good job, that's something people get to know about and appreciate.

But fcuken hell, if anyone here has any good ideas about Personal Branding, fire away.
You need a logo Nick - sort of like MR had - you can also use it as an avatar which seems to be a department in which you are sadly lacking.

I propose a "Design Nick a Logo" connest. First prize = $12724

I'm going to work on my entry tonight - it will be rather stylish and include two bananas and some shark teeth.

i'm on the job.

:lol:
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi Nick,

Not sure if this has been asked amidst all the drama this week, but do you think Mick and/or Julian will compete in Tahiti in 3 weeks time?
Only they would know the answer for sure, but what's your guess?

Cheers

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Yeah I reckon.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:54 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:I have a 6'6 Egan Thruster
I have a 7'0 DHD Thruster
says so on the stringers

but if I put them next to each other the 7'0 is only an inch longer...
The Egan is measured on the top, the DHD on the bottom.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:37 pm

so they are both 6'6 or both 7'0 I wonder..
Erase.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Gday Nick I know that the Kelly Slater Outerknown venture and his motives have been dissected online.
My question to you is as a surfer and consumer are there things that have to meet your own ethics before you part with your hard earned money? For example clothing and the conditions which textile workers are subject to in the manufacturing chain? Purchasing Australian made surfboards? or Environmental credentials of companies?

I know everyone has a different perspective on what is Ethical and what isn't but I can relate to the motives which Kelly Slater has for his Outerknown clothing label in regards to environmentally responsible sourcing of materials etc.

Wubic Pig
Harry the Hat

Post by Wubic Pig » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:29 am

Beanpole wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:44 pm
You have nothing I want or need.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:41 am

rmb wrote:Gday Nick I know that the Kelly Slater Outerknown venture and his motives have been dissected online.
My question to you is as a surfer and consumer are there things that have to meet your own ethics before you part with your hard earned money? For example clothing and the conditions which textile workers are subject to in the manufacturing chain? Purchasing Australian made surfboards? or Environmental credentials of companies?

I know everyone has a different perspective on what is Ethical and what isn't but I can relate to the motives which Kelly Slater has for his Outerknown clothing label in regards to environmentally responsible sourcing of materials etc.
Well I know for a fact that Nick hasnt eaten a black baby in 15 years.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:26 am

Maybe not. But who can resist the harlequin baby? >><<

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:32 pm

rmb wrote:Gday Nick I know that the Kelly Slater Outerknown venture and his motives have been dissected online.

Look I could go into some spiel about how pure I am but it would be total bullshit, I usually know almost nothing about the supply chains of the shit I buy whether it be clothing, tools, petrol, wine, electricity, natural gas, cups of coffee, meat (I trust the labelling), various spices, cars, TVs, computers, pharmaceutical drugs, furniture, dog food, or thousand other things. I constantly buy food about which I know next to nothing.

Australian made surfboards, pffft, what do you know about where the raw materials come from? Like where the crude oil was sourced that ended up as the base for the TDI and benzene and phthatic and maelic acids that were the base for your PU/PE board? No. Nobody does. Neither do I.

In my retarded world, the ethic is: does it work and last? Do I judge it worth my money? If so I will go back. If not I will question the shit out of it.

That said, I am vulnerable to marketing, I can be sucked into trying or buying something if it makes a convincing case for being worthwhile on a wide range of levels. I can feel the puppet strings being pulled and I do give in all the time on small ticket items. But if they turn out shit I don't go back there, unless I like how shit they are. Like movies, some of those are absolute shit but I still pay to see them.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:33 pm

aaarating wrote:Maybe not. But who can resist the harlequin baby? >><<
Nobody, that's who.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Do you know the supply chain of orphans?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:08 pm

ajohnsen wrote:Do you know the supply chain of orphans?
which ones?

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:14 pm

The parentless ones.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:59 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Look I could go into some spiel about how pure I am but it would be total bullshit, I usually know almost nothing about the supply chains of the shit I buy whether it be clothing, tools, petrol, wine, electricity, natural gas, cups of coffee, meat (I trust the labelling), various spices, cars, TVs, computers, pharmaceutical drugs, furniture, dog food, or thousand other things. I constantly buy food about which I know next to nothing.

Australian made surfboards, pffft, what do you know about where the raw materials come from? Like where the crude oil was sourced that ended up as the base for the TDI and benzene and phthatic and maelic acids that were the base for your PU/PE board? No. Nobody does. Neither do I.

In my retarded world, the ethic is: does it work and last? Do I judge it worth my money? If so I will go back. If not I will question the shit out of it.

That said, I am vulnerable to marketing, I can be sucked into trying or buying something if it makes a convincing case for being worthwhile on a wide range of levels. I can feel the puppet strings being pulled and I do give in all the time on small ticket items. But if they turn out shit I don't go back there, unless I like how shit they are. Like movies, some of those are absolute shit but I still pay to see them.
Cheers Nick environmental factors aside do you have any preference towards purchasing Australian surfboards to support the Australian surfboard manufacturing rather than purchasing from overseas markets where labour costs aren't as high?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:10 pm

Nick what's the go with your bro and Eye Symmetry, does he own the company? Have you been riding them as well, any good models?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:33 am

ajohnsen wrote:The parentless ones.
why yes I believe people have sex. Daddy puts his penis in Mummy and then nine months later, amid a lot of screaming and blood, out comes a little baby

Which is immediately "orphaned" thanks to some insane tragedy that befalls Daddy and Mummy.

Off to Father O'Driscoll's House of Horrors etc.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:08 am

rmb wrote: Cheers Nick environmental factors aside do you have any preference towards purchasing Australian surfboards to support the Australian surfboard manufacturing rather than purchasing from overseas markets where labour costs aren't as high?
Not really. While I'm a fan of a lot of Australian board makers, I'm not a fan of that nationalistic sort of thinking around surfboards or any other product really, I don't think it helps, and I am actively repelled by attempts to market a product under the flag; as you see in politics and other areas, overt appeals to patriotism usually conceal other deficiencies. I buy Australian made surfboards for quality reasons and because I think one or other of 'em would be best for the purpose, or I want to try one out, same as I would with boards made anywhere. I do think we're fortunate in Australia to have a pretty dynamic surfboard industry with a lot of range; I also think it's healthy partly because it was challenged to perform better by the appearance of cheap imports around 15 years ago, and responded really well. Like you can't compare the quality of a modern custom PU/PE board from a good board maker today to the ones that were around in 2002, say; they're way better now. And you sure can't compare the range of board types and manufacturing methods available to a surfer today simply by walking into a good board shop or two with what was around then.

Re the labour cost thing, ha ha well if you wanted to guide your purchasing decisions on the avoiding of products that paid people less to make 'em than they're paid in Australia, you'd be in a hall of mirrors so deep and wide you'd never get out. Buy good stuff and be ready to pay good money for it, that's your best contribution to the economic puzzle I think.