Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

tootr
Duke Status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by tootr » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Saw Storm Surfers on that Stan channel thingo. '
RCJ said his big wave training/fitness was essentially bugger all.
True?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:46 pm

alakaboo wrote:Nick I'd suggest that you are not a normal beginner paddler.
I'd also suggest BA doesn't drop a couple of grand on something he may not gel with.
Borrow one if possible, or see if there is a club you can join.

BA wear a good wetsuit and don't go too far from shore. Look straight ahead and relax at the hips.
and then fall in sideways. It's great!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:47 pm

tootr wrote:Saw Storm Surfers on that Stan channel thingo. '
True?
Well up to a point. He does a fair bit of strength work. But none of my swimming shit.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Nick, the Brian, 12'er seems the better option, but I personally have no interest in getting way out, more just cruising from beach to beach, purely for fitness on the flat days, and was thinking of a 10'6". There are also plenty more of them available. As far as catching runners, I'd have to do that prone anyway, so actually catching waves wouldn't be much fun for me. At 78kg, would a 10'6" be a bad option for what I've just described?? Nippers is coming soon so there should be some used ones available at the surf club.

do it mate. agree with nick, get the 10'6" if you're not interested in long ocean paddles and catching runners.

a 10'6" will keep you primed for surfing, and are super fun paddling in and out of a surf zone. like set up an imaginary buoy out past the last storm bar and paddle to it, and back in again.

i cracked the little bone just below my knee cap, and found one of those thermoskin knee supports really cushioned my knee. if you're wanting a little extra piece of mind while on your knees, maybe look into one.

Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:05 pm

Hey Nick, thanks for your comments/response. I've never actually been in a position where I was worried about running out of air, but as I age I want to have confidence that I can deal with things that perhaps as a youngster I never even thought about or just felt I would cope with if needed. Nowadays need to maximise my declining skills in any way possible.

Although I suspect having a knee injury and the restrictions that involves has made me more determined to improve anything I can.

regular

Post by 8 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:00 pm

Ross Packs Cones......holding that lung full without coughing is great training for deep water hold downs.

Takes great control of the diaphragm and stops you spazzing out and trying to gulp for air when you have been down for a while.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:32 pm

8 wrote:Ross Packs Cones......holding that lung full without coughing is great training for deep water hold downs.

Takes great control of the diaphragm and stops you spazzing out and trying to gulp for air when you have been down for a while.
I am the worst smoker ever - I never managed to take a lungful of anything that was smoking without it causing a prolonged fit of coughing. I didn't bother to focus and push past the initial hurdle, although I made preliminary attempts a few times.

Does that mean I've never smoked an entire cone - yes. That may provoke a tard nomination. But I never had to give up cigarettes either, so there was that.

I'm naturally unstressed, didn't need it. Although apparently it could have provided some hidden long term benefits.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
tootr wrote:Saw Storm Surfers on that Stan channel thingo. '
True?
Well up to a point. He does a fair bit of strength work. But none of my swimming shit.
I watched it on netflix the other day RCJ seems like a very hyperactive individual in contrast to TC who comes across as a rather docile character. Have seen RCJ in the carpark at bells having a smoke on a solid day which wouldn't really help his Big Wave surfing. RCJ seems like a bit of an enigma less preparation more action.

Nick what's your observation on the relationship between Ross and Tom when it comes to their big wave expeditions? Do you ever go along for the ride?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Ah I've been surfing with those two, together and separately, for a very long time. I don't go on their tow filming expeditions, nup, I'm not that interested in it really. Tom and Ross are exactly as they appear in the movie and the various tv shows they've done. That's their relationship, what you see going on between them on screen. They're really good friends, we all are. Docile Tom is a bit misleading really, he very much has a screw permanently loose, and Ross is extremely intelligent and not the crazy risk-taker you might assume, he is very calculated but has a super high tolerance for adrenalin.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:19 pm

I remember reading about his first step up in Hawaii. Also that Mad Wax Movie.....with Kong as the villain.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Mad Wax 2 was a great script. Sadly never made.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Braithy wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
Nick, the Brian, 12'er seems the better option, but I personally have no interest in getting way out, more just cruising from beach to beach, purely for fitness on the flat days, and was thinking of a 10'6". There are also plenty more of them available. As far as catching runners, I'd have to do that prone anyway, so actually catching waves wouldn't be much fun for me. At 78kg, would a 10'6" be a bad option for what I've just described?? Nippers is coming soon so there should be some used ones available at the surf club.

do it mate. agree with nick, get the 10'6" if you're not interested in long ocean paddles and catching runners.

a 10'6" will keep you primed for surfing, and are super fun paddling in and out of a surf zone. like set up an imaginary buoy out past the last storm bar and paddle to it, and back in again.

i cracked the little bone just below my knee cap, and found one of those thermoskin knee supports really cushioned my knee. if you're wanting a little extra piece of mind while on your knees, maybe look into one.

I've got a few different types mate haha. Neoprene with the hole for the patella is what in use when surfing. Cheers mate

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:02 am

Beerfan as per Braithy a 10'6 is perfect for what you want. I paddle 4-5 days per week for fitness (and because I'm addicted). I used a 10'6 for a year and it was perfect. I used it for some mid range paddles outside as well as in the surf zone now and then for fun when it was no good for surfing. But mainly I used it for paddle fitness outside the surf zone.
I was lucky to be given a 12 foot racing board 6 months ago so have been using that. But if I wasn't given the 12 footer I would still happily be on the 10'6.
The 12 footer is a very different beast. Full carbon, super light and super fast. It is however much narrower and harder to control and harder to paddle prone. It was made for a pro. Also there are no handles so it's not the best in a surf zone.
I was thinking of selling my 10'6 but now thinking of holding onto it. You will pick one up no problem.
Going to try an 18 footer just for the hell of it but that will probably be out of my league.
Paddling has greatly improved my surf fitness, esp my shoulder mobility. To me the trick is to not just rely on paddling for fitness but rather combine it with other forms of cross training such as swimming and running. Also I would try and get out more than just on 'flat days' as the more fitness and skill you build up the more you will get out of it.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks Nick and Boo. All advice appreciated.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:10 am

Natho wrote:Beerfan as per Braithy a 10'6 is perfect for what you want. I paddle 4-5 days per week for fitness (and because I'm addicted). I used a 10'6 for a year and it was perfect. I used it for some mid range paddles outside as well as in the surf zone now and then for fun when it was no good for surfing. But mainly I used it for paddle fitness outside the surf zone.
I was lucky to be given a 12 foot racing board 6 months ago so have been using that. But if I wasn't given the 12 footer I would still happily be on the 10'6.
The 12 footer is a very different beast. Full carbon, super light and super fast. It is however much narrower and harder to control and harder to paddle prone. It was made for a pro. Also there are no handles so it's not the best in a surf zone.
I was thinking of selling my 10'6 but now thinking of holding onto it. You will pick one up no problem.
Going to try an 18 footer just for the hell of it but that will probably be out of my league.
Paddling has greatly improved my surf fitness, esp my shoulder mobility. To me the trick is to not just rely on paddling for fitness but rather combine it with other forms of cross training such as swimming and running. Also I would try and get out more than just on 'flat days' as the more fitness and skill you build up the more you will get out of it.
Cheers mate. I'll look around when nippers starts

Narra Kook
Grommet

Post by Narra Kook » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:40 pm

I can vouch for Nick's advice on going straight to a racing ski. I'm a super kook at everything. However, I was able to paddle from Newport to Bungan and back on my first go on a racing ski (flat day). They are very tippy, and you'll fall off a few times. My the third time, I didn't tip it at all (flat day). I've tried it in small waves, and flipped it often. They are sleek, slim and feel very unstable at first, but once you get paddling they feel more stable. Like Nick said, skip the training wheel phase, and get real racing ski.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:55 pm

My comment was financial.
If you can't borrow one then 2k is a lot of money to try something which is difficult enough to put people off after their first try.
And they are also fcuking impractical things to move around on land.
Fwiw I first paddled a full length ski on a river during a flood. Fine until I encountered my first whirlpool, and no I still didn't fall in.