Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:21 pm

is it true Hugh Jackman will be playing our MP?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:30 pm

the modern version should be Brian in his pushbike gear
Erase.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:35 pm

Braithy wrote:is it true Hugh Jackman will be playing our MP?
If we can't have trev as Bunker how about as Owl?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:18 pm

Nick, there was an article in last weekend's Guardian magazine about this size 26 'supermodel' who has apparently put a rocket under the fashion industry and it got me thinking about the annual Surfing Life board test in the Telos. Sure, the advertisers must love those shots of racing snakes with pretty hair tearing it up on unfeasibly small boards, but for the real surfer (RealSurfer?) this is increasingly out of touch with their reality. Wouldn't it be more relevant to take along an average joe, a fat slob who'll never see 40 litres of volume again, and document his struggles and moments of triumph on size-appropriate boards? I'm thinking some sort of competition tie-in with a frozen pizza company might pay dividends, a golden ticket sorta thing. What business wouldn't want to be, and I quote, overwhelmed by the outpouring of feeling, not just from bigger-figured surfers, for whom posting a picture of themselves is a transformative, courageous act, but from, for example, young gay men struggling with body image. Genius or what?
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:24 pm

oh yeah I reckon that'd be a huge hit

of course the boardmakers might kick up a bit of a fuss but imagine all the extra waves I would catch.

would this person be from Wales by any chance

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:38 pm

How very dare you
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Get thee behind me Queen!!

I've already put my hand up for this role.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:06 pm

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:18 pm

Can we take along some surf shop workers and make them watch the poor shmucks they sold their inappropriate boards to try to surf them in some Indo reef breaks?
Oh, that doesn't really work for you does it........here your money back.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:26 pm

Yeah but it's a truth they don't want you to hear Legion. From the WSL's land of smiles and sunshine where everyone's always just happy to be out there with one other guy, to the shills at every level of every surf co whispering their siren song of endless gilded youth, the voice of the fat man is silenced. So as Slater will do tomorrow at the SeaWorld AGM, I'm calling on Nick Carroll to follow suit and give the whales a voice
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:31 pm

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:38 pm

Well, there are at least a few shapers targeting the middle aged middle/heavy weight clientele and doing quite well out of it.

Nick, Legion (I think) mentioned keeping his fins razor sharp. As the semi-RSer most likely to land on his fins (and who sometimes manages to kick them while sitting on his board...) I always sand down my edges to a level of sharpness suitable for use as a custard knife.

So can a good surfer actually tell the difference (or benefit from) having razor sharp fin edges?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Just because a man wears a little foundation and knows all the words to Bucks Fizz Making Your Mind Up you accuse him of hiding the sausage. My mother and I have been coming to this website for 20 years.Your impertinent my dear. How very dare you.

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:33 am

Don't let your indecision take you from behind.

Maybe you're surfing the wrong breaks Legion? Consider the proximity of your favoured haunts to frozen pizza purveyors, pie shops, and of course sex dolls. And nobody want to walk 100m from the car park to the water, ughhh.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:25 am

godsavethequeen wrote:Yeah but it's a truth they don't want you to hear Legion. From the WSL's land of smiles and sunshine where everyone's always just happy to be out there with one other guy, to the shills at every level of every surf co whispering their siren song of endless gilded youth, the voice of the fat man is silenced. So as Slater will do tomorrow at the SeaWorld AGM, I'm calling on Nick Carroll to follow suit and give the whales a voice
well yes but we aren't really talking about "fat" here are we, we are talking about sorta tubby. A bit around the midsection. Jowly. Slumping muscle structure. Carries himself with brittle confidence but privately worries about his declining state. Women don't look at him much any more. His wife conceals her own anxieties about him, confining herself to bouts of upbeat "healthy" cooking and occasional nudges toward a checkup at their GP. Mentally he feels sharp and he knows he is a better and more reliable person than he was at 21, but he also knows he can't paddle as fast, and he still makes the same mistakes on takeoff and in the lip as he has always made, just makes them more slowly. He senses what that person wrote about a man's quiet desperation and looks for a solution in foam, fibreglass, and fin systems. This model? That model? What's my litrage? Can I find myself in a JS Whatever or a Mayhem Thingummy?

yep there's a massive win for the Board Test! it can become a work of Social Realist fiction!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:32 am

ctd wrote:Well, there are at least a few shapers targeting the middle aged middle/heavy weight clientele and doing quite well out of it.

Nick, Legion (I think) mentioned keeping his fins razor sharp. As the semi-RSer most likely to land on his fins (and who sometimes manages to kick them while sitting on his board...) I always sand down my edges to a level of sharpness suitable for use as a custard knife.

So can a good surfer actually tell the difference (or benefit from) having razor sharp fin edges?
Yep, you definitely can tell the difference. Whether it is of any real benefit is another question. My own sense of it is that sharp trailing edges on flat inside foil fins are more important than on double foils, for the same reason that hard tucked rail edges are important - a little bit of extra lift and slightly quicker response in turns. Double foiled fins are about laminar flow and clean release and neither of those things are hurt too much by a slight blunting of the trailing edge. That blunting can be flat btw, a thin flat back edge is cool.

Sharp leading edges are silly and a cause of drag and turbulence.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:35 am

ctd I should add to that: I think for most surfers and boards, super sharp fin edges of any kind are unnecessary and dangerous, and the occasional accidents involving them are invariably pretty horrific. So I advise you to keep doing the custard knife thing.