Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by alakaboo » Sun May 31, 2015 8:15 pm

Do you worry about Mical?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 31, 2015 10:00 pm

First time I've heard that the gloss coat was to improve UV Protection. So there you go.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

xe
regular

Post by xe » Sun May 31, 2015 10:05 pm

Maurice Cole says resin tints help with big wave board durability and strength.

In your absence Nick did the naming of the German Banks at Longy reveal it's source.
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer"
Jack O'Neill

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun May 31, 2015 10:13 pm

Here's a clear coat I've used on metal. Supposedly it adds strength amongst other things:

http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/diamond- ... tructions/

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:22 am

This is my quandary ... 5'10" or 6' ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:32 am

Yeah, always been curious at to why it is called the German Bank... any thoughts Nick ?

cheers

J

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:33 am

alakaboo wrote:Do you worry about Mical?
almost every time I look at this thread.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:35 am

xe wrote: In your absence Nick did the naming of the German Banks at Longy reveal it's source.
No! shit I'll get on it.

had a fcuken fun surf out there actually, back in March.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:37 am

Mical came o briefly a couple of years ago to update us on his status but haven't seen him since unfortunately.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:39 am

Legion wrote:Here's a clear coat I've used on metal. Supposedly it adds strength amongst other things:

http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/diamond- ... tructions/
I like this sentence: "If Diamond Finish should stain your skin, only the course of time will remove it."

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:40 am

Womble wrote:This is my quandary ... 5'10" or 6' ?
why is this a quandary?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:37 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
BA wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:but your question begs another question, what do you think? Like why go to a sanded finish?
I buy my boards off the rack these days, and go by feel under my arm. If it feels good under my arm, I'll run with it. This one happened to be sanded. The sanding job looks real quality (it's a JS by the way). I fondled about a dozen boards on the day. This one stood out.

I'm really happy with it. It really feels a lot sharper, and to quote Ross Williams, crisper. I'm no pro, so it's hard to explain, but I feel I'm surfing a lot cleaner and faster on it. My turns feel a lot cleaner. More precise? I dunno.
well I think you're pretty smart. Theres a lot of mythology around so called "custom" boards these days but I often wander into surf shops and see boards in the racks that I'd love to surf. An ability to pull a good fit off a rack says more about your board knowledge than talking to a guy who's just gonna head off and cut something out of his CAD catalogue and sign it for ya. 'Cause thats what many of 'em do.
Do you know of any shapers who suggets their boards are handcrafted yet computer shaped? If so, who......
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:49 am

Well I think that is fairly common actually -- the implication anyway

The vast majority of pro boardmakers and many backyard guys use cnc cutters, but I don't know any of 'em who actually advertises the fact: "Yes! We use the famous KKL system pioneered by Channel Islands in the 1990s!" or whatever.

Put it this way, there's no marketing advantage, or if there is, they don't think so.

I'm not gonna name names here, just because I think it's more an error of omission in most cases - and I don't think anyone loses out in the equation. But if you are concerned and think you might be being "ripped off" by a promise, you should ask the question specifically of that maker.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:55 am

TBH I dont really care what does the cutting as long as it is finished to specification of the shapers design. It's all in the design at the end of the day.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
why is this a quandary?
Hey ... you is supposed to be answering the questions, not asking them.

Because its the length of my next board ... 5'10" or 6' ?

Its the final detail, everything else has been worked out ... well, until I sit down with the shaper and change my mind at the last minute that is.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Nick there's been large (some 1 ft) volcanic (I think) rocks washing up along the long reef to DY stretch. The ankles and shins have chunks taken out of them. Seen this before? Where are these rocks coming from? Any ideas?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Womble wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
why is this a quandary?
Hey ... you is supposed to be answering the questions, not asking them.

Because its the length of my next board ... 5'10" or 6' ?

Its the final detail, everything else has been worked out ... well, until I sit down with the shaper and change my mind at the last minute that is.
OK I was a bit abrupt, sorry.

I guess I feel you already know the answer and I want to encourage you to think about it a bit, why it is a quandary for you. To me there is a considerable difference between 5'10 and 6'0, there's a bit of volume in that middle 2" and it would mean changes to outline, rocker, everything really. Subtle but unmistakeable stuff.

Which do you prefer? You must have a preference here. Why? Where are you surfing? Where do you want to take your surfing?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Davros wrote:Nick there's been large (some 1 ft) volcanic (I think) rocks washing up along the long reef to DY stretch. The ankles and shins have chunks taken out of them. Seen this before? Where are these rocks coming from? Any ideas?
Without seeing them I can't tell you.

There has been a flush of pumice rock along the northern beaches lately since the very heavy east swells some six weeks ago. There are some bigger chunks in there which might fit what you're describing. If so, the pumice is a distinctive white or pale grey and is abrasive but lightweight. It is volcanic in origin and was probably spawned from an underwater eruption near NZ.

A lot of cunjivoi was torn off submerged reefs off Sydney beaches in the same swells. Cunji is heavy, thick, dark brown in colour, and a bit knobbly. From my observation, most of it has gone now - it's actually a crustacean and rots down pretty quick - but maybe some more of it has been torn away in last week's swell.