Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Fark I just drove myself temporarily insane looking at thruster fins on the FCS site.

There are several models of fin with '5' in them and they all come in different sizes. It seems that medium is 116mm in height for surfers 65kg to 80 kg. If medium suits then we'll make them 113mm as the BLEF gives about 10% more lift.

What struck me most about the fcs site was the BS.... it must be hard to say something different about dozens of versions of the same thing so I sympathise but saying of a three fin set that the side fins offer hydrodynamic performance is ultra stupid... like what about the rear fin and all the other fin sets don't they offer hydrodynamic performance? How does one compare hydrodynamic performance which is the main feature of one set against the pixie dust of Joel Parkinson on another? Fortunately most people don't try to analyse this sh*t.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:51 pm

Clear, correct choice... unless you'd like each fin a different colour...

<:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Fri May 29, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:15 pm

It's up to you fellows, I'll just make 'em.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:42 pm

your BLEF steak knife pattern on a set of thruster fins given to a seasoned vet would be very interesting.
I think the difference will be dramatic

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:09 pm

el rancho wrote:your BLEF steak knife pattern on a set of thruster fins given to a seasoned vet would be very interesting.
I think the difference will be dramatic
Yeah I dunno, there's not a dramatic difference with the singly

Might be a bit different with the thruster angles, we'll see.

Yeah Roy re the FCS site, I guess they have gotta say something about the damn things.

How about you go 110mm, I'm a fan of the less fin the better really and I'll have my head around it.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Roy ....BLEF is just such a terrible sound !!
It's seriously bad .
Can't you give them another name ? Eg blades , sawtooths , Roy's , Maunganui's , Kiwi cutters , Fin-Ty-saw-rus etc ??

It will be interesting to hear Nick's review ... Clear fins sounds pretty cool !

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Tubercled isn't that great either... whale bumps if you like because that's where they came from.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:Fark I just drove myself temporarily insane looking at thruster fins on the FCS site.

There are several models of fin with '5' in them and they all come in different sizes. It seems that medium is 116mm in height for surfers 65kg to 80 kg. If medium suits then we'll make them 113mm as the BLEF gives about 10% more lift.

What struck me most about the fcs site was the BS.... it must be hard to say something different about dozens of versions of the same thing so I sympathise but saying of a three fin set that the side fins offer hydrodynamic performance is ultra stupid... like what about the rear fin and all the other fin sets don't they offer hydrodynamic performance? How does one compare hydrodynamic performance which is the main feature of one set against the pixie dust of Joel Parkinson on another? Fortunately most people don't try to analyse this sh*t.
roy when Maquarie Bankers have the reins of FCS for over a decade, you should not be surprised that "BS", as you put it, would be a feature of their sales pitch to drive the sale of fins in search for some form of redemption for their failed investment.
Any science has long departed and sell sell sell any colour, shape or variation that they can pay pros, who don't have a clue, $$$ to put their moniker on the latest and greatest fin design which are just regurgitated tarted up versions of what was done prior to their attempt to infiltrate the industry via hardgoods in alignment with their attack on the apparel via the like of Bong etc.
Failure to pull it off has been a hard pill to swallow and they are trapped in a vicious cycle they can't extract themselves from. #*!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:31 am

Matticus Finch wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:oh and colour, clear?
Going to be hard to spot on the bottom of the pool if you drop them during the tests.
:D :D
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:23 pm

I bet Nick makes a noise much more like a Hawk 127 than a Super Hornet though.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:05 pm

Trev wrote:
Matticus Finch wrote:
Going to be hard to spot on the bottom of the pool if you drop them during the tests.

Impossible actually, since they float.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:
Trev wrote:
Matticus Finch wrote:

Impossible actually, since they float.
Well, that's EXACTLY why they'll be hard to see on the bottom of the pool. :-)(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:41 pm

You two should take this act on the road. No really.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:48 pm

still here wrote:Roy ....BLEF is just such a terrible sound !!
It's seriously bad .
Can't you give them another name ? Eg blades , sawtooths , Roy's , Maunganui's , Kiwi cutters , Fin-Ty-saw-rus etc ??

It will be interesting to hear Nick's review ... Clear fins sounds pretty cool !
Its so bad is good - Like NACA. When I first saw it, I thought BLEF was an acronym from some obscure hydrodynamic theory - was a little bit disappointed when I discovered it stood for bumpy leading edge.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:27 pm

Its up there with BUPA and Anusol haemorrhoid cream.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Fri May 29, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:20 am

what do you think of the marketing-which nominally at least, follows the money. More 1969 than 1969.

Admit defeat on the retro thing?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes