Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

andy2476
Owl status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by andy2476 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:Let's not forget the Welsh township of Newport.....no waves tho'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eijc2tGe-zM

'chips cheese curry makes you feel brand new
washed down with a special brew'

:lol:
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:35 pm

BA wrote:.........and Newport in Melbourne. Kinda like the Brookvale of Melbourne.
whats the brookvale of australia ?

Adelaide ?
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

philw
Local

Post by philw » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Goldie Looking Chain

philw
Local

Post by philw » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAZTLVJSlNw&feature=kp

welsh hip hop pisses on Australian hip hop

Battery
Grommet

Post by Battery » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:01 pm

Nick... What is going to happen to part 2 of Lewis Samuels Power Rankings? Will we ever see them?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:35 pm

yeah I don't reckon Lewis wrote the other half, it is a lot of words and it isn't easy work. Lewis and i have exchanged a few emails about this latest farce and his description of the process of trying to write them matches my own, which is 5000 words aided by a fair bit of alcohol. And I am a lot more sympathetic with the pros' general state than he is. i bet he was writing them in slabs which was why only the first half appeared.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:59 pm

There was a twitter post that had a link to them using google wayback. So they are still out there in the cloud. I'm sure anyone could find them easy enough
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Battery
Grommet

Post by Battery » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:yeah I don't reckon Lewis wrote the other half, it is a lot of words and it isn't easy work. Lewis and i have exchanged a few emails about this latest farce and his description of the process of trying to write them matches my own, which is 5000 words aided by a fair bit of alcohol. And I am a lot more sympathetic with the pros' general state than he is. i bet he was writing them in slabs which was why only the first half appeared.
Cheers... Ok, probably just a few gin induced juicy lines in a notebook then. anyway can he write power ranking for another media outlet? or has he signed some sort of exclusive deal with the ASP...?
Sorry to harp on, but im still shocked that the ASP even flirted with the idea of pretending that they were somehow actually a fringe dwelling, free thinking entity... back to the boardroom to "re-build the brand" and a "new era of professionalism" The whole absurd scenario brings a smile to my face.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:35 am

yeah well I think its not that hard to understand, the ASP staff has been re inventing the wheel at a mad pace, fired up by ZoSea's money pool and the thought that they're sorta free from the many bonds inflicted upon them by the old system, in which the big surf cos directed everything and did all the glamour work and the ASP crew did the grunt work with little recognition.

if you,d been forced to more or less sit on your hands for 15 years and toe the line while shit talking every day about how Things Could Be Better, then some incredibly effective sales people came to town with a big ass war chest and said "OK lets do what youve been talking about all this time", then you too might experience a few rushes of blood to the head and do a few things that didn't work.

Lewis is a free agent and can sell his work wherever he wants, but as Ive pointed out, its not something he necessarily delights in tackling, and he sure as shit isnt going to do it free.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:57 am

It doesn't have to be Lewis Samuels anyway, right, no matter where it's published. Didnt Derek Hynde do something similar before the wheel was invented? Indeed, didn't you do something much the same Nick?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:00 am

Shea Lopez did one for Surfer magazine last week

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:35 pm

buzzy wrote:It doesn't have to be Lewis Samuels anyway, right, no matter where it's published. Didnt Derek Hynde do something similar before the wheel was invented? Indeed, didn't you do something much the same Nick?
DH did a top surfers review in the late 1980s for Surfer magazine, he was a lot gnarlier than Lewis because he would call out a surfers chances of a world title at the start of the season, and would tell hot shot pros they had no chance, in print. He would then show up at the next contest as a coach so there was no situation avoidance. Some surfers absolutely hated his guts for it because it wasn't just a bunch of clever wordplay but a hard judgement, possibly affecting their sponsorship chances, from a guy they saw at every event.

I have mostly just tried to report what I saw from surfers, naturally you use your judgement of their efforts but I'm not just gonna take the piss out of them. Even though it may be tempting at times. I do Power Rankings for Surfline sometimes, but only from events where I see a fair bit of the core action first hand and can talk with the surfers about what they did and why. This makes for a pretty fair PR but often not the most crazy entertainment, like mostly I get the sense that a lot of readers just want to see the pros taken down a peg or six, or see a few classic sporting arguments started. It's not sport if nobody's arguing about it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Legion wrote:What's the deal with Pottz? I know some saffas that have been here forever but retain a strong accent. Pottz sounds "almost" Australian (for lack of a stronger influence) at times. Where/how did he develop his accent?
Well Pottz has lived here since 1985, he's married to an Australian girl and many of his best mates are Australian, and his accent was never that strong to start with, it all seems pretty natural to me.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:46 pm

CJ got Lewis to do one for him and posted it on his twitter account. Wasn't very flattering. CJ loved it.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Wasn't it Derek Hynde who proclaimed Shane Herring was the future of surfing?