Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:18 pm

rmb wrote:Thank's for the insight into Sarge, Onto more fun subject's what would be the best type of occupation's that you have seen that allow average people more opportunities for the surfing lifestyle?
Umm hell tradie I reckon.

All the ones I know seem to spend a disgusting amount of time in the surf, and when they're not its because they're in Indo or Micronesia or some such.

Work your way up, get a bunch of apprentices and employees, then just field the jobs and do the paperwork in between surfs.

Completely shits on any job in the non surfboard surf industry.

Making surfboards keeps you very in touch with the surf culture but there's not that much time for actual surfing. You're too busy having to talk to people about their surfboards.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:19 pm

offshore1 wrote:I'm a little concerned for merkin's well being. Poor bastard hasn't posted since andy's visit, likely traumatized by sudden and prolonged exposure to upside down penis flesh I reckon.
Merk's will be just fine ... once he wiggles out of the cable ties and unlocks the boot.

I think it was a very charitable act by the G-tard ... giving Andy a sabbatical and all. The poor lad was supposed to be spending some quality time with the family ... enjoying a little summer beachside getaway ... but what was he doing ? Glad you asked. Ignoring them ... riding his dinky and talking to his imaginary friends ... making a fool of himself is what... both on the road and in internet chat rooms ... that is what he was doing. Not doting on the family ... no ... heaven forbid ... not Andy ... narcissistic till the end. Fly into the sun Andy ... fly into the sun.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Hey God, if you don't have a question, shut up. You're taking up valuable space here ya know.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Nick ... elrancho has twice accused me of being god. Now whilst some may find the idea of being a deity appealing ... I do not. Would you be so kind as to explain the error of his ways. Ta muchly.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:39 pm

nick, since this thread started appearing on the front page of realsurf have people been recognising you in the street? or mistaking you for andy2476? do little old ladies ever come up to you in warringah mall and hit you over the head with their handbags because of harlequin baby pictures andy2476 posted? how does it feel to be famous for something someone else did?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Womble wrote:Nick ... elrancho has twice accused me of being god. Now whilst some may find the idea of being a deity appealing ... I do not. Would you be so kind as to explain the error of his ways. Ta muchly.
But Womble for all I know you may be God.

You cannot expect me to explain something I don't understand myself.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Lucky Al wrote:nick, since this thread started appearing on the front page of realsurf have people been recognising you in the street? or mistaking you for andy2476? do little old ladies ever come up to you in warringah mall and hit you over the head with their handbags because of harlequin baby pictures andy2476 posted? how does it feel to be famous for something someone else did?
Tragically Al, Realsurf is such a well kept secret that nobody I go surfing with even knows of its existence. No elderly woman has attacked me because of Andy's disgusting predilections, although I suppose I can't be sure, since most attacks on me finish with savage retaliation by one or more of my retinue of bodyguards, and I never have time to get a question in. Re being famous for things other people did, well that is a commonplace of modern life and one must accept it the way one accepts gifts from strangers, or a cup of coffee from your favourite barista, that is with a certain sanguine glitter in the eye.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Hey Nick. I watched a doco on Fox called The legend of Eddie Aikau by Sam George. I hadn't really taken great note of his life apart from the circumstances of his death. And of course the comp named in his honour.

The guy was a deadset legend. Does he have God like status in Hawaii? Is he still spoken of often?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Oh yeah of course. I mean there's plenty of older surfers who remember Eddie for real,so he's not like Duke who is remembered kind of like a saint.

But Eddie, who he was and how he died, and how the story has been told over and over with such resonance, he has almost become a Christ figure in some ways, it's sort of the closest surfing has come to having an actual religious moment rather than all that cheesy "spiritual" shtick - an actual blood sacrifice in the cause of others, by someone fully connected all the way with the core past and present and future of the sport.

packa
regular

Post by packa » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
packa wrote:
Nick, how does one best choose an appropriate length pf punishment? I mean, if kids play up, how long should they be 'grounded' or have their access to TV or computers removed? Is there a scale of penalty for indiscretion? Is there an 'iggy scale' or is it more of a subjective system?
Jesus Christ it's our very own Sybil.

I am dubious of the word "punishment" and particularly of the word "length" but be that as it may

From my own experience, kids need to know there are clear and fair consequences to their playing up just as they need to know they'll be rewarded if they achieve beyond the norm.

This means the consequence kinda has to be on the table before the kid plays up, then if the kid plays up you know the kid is deliberately testing you to see what he/she can get away with.

Lots of kids do silly things without meaning to and this is where you need to be discerning, know when to discipline and when to explain, and maybe how to mix the two.

People have different takes on "punishment". I prefer the word consequence because I want to take the emotion out of it from my parental end. Personally I would never hit a child, I wouldn't want to give 'em the idea that I thought it was appropriate to use violence from a position of unassailable power. Which is where you're at as a parent.

So boiling it down: did the kid deliberately play up knowing there may be consequences? You better deliver those consequences, whatever you said they''d be.
Feels very Dr Phil.

That aside, how does one know, then, what consequence to put on what action if one must do so in advance?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Well yeah it must be a bit weird when one of your personalities has kids and the others don't.

I'd just let wingnut2443 take care of it if I were you.

icepick
regular

Post by icepick » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Oh, Nicholas, you have it all wrong ... that numbnut numbers only shoots with blanks. I on the other hand have a full load.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:05 pm

I don't know whether to applaud wingnut and his 100 personalities and aliases, or knock him on the head with a railroad sleeper while he's asleep.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

packa
regular

Post by packa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:25 am

Railroad sleeper? :(

He's a dumb phuck, thick as, and wouldn't even feel it. :shock:

But, then again, he does not SUP. Can't be too thick. >><<

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:30 pm

hi nick,
I noticed an old SW mag on ebay from late 70s for sale for 8 bucks. has a story on you in it. dunno if you have it, but thought id give u a heads up.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:24 pm

who's your favourite surfer of all time nick?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:28 pm

hold on hold on, that's too easy. give us your top five. and why!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:15 pm

Lucky Al wrote:hold on hold on, that's too easy. give us your top five. and why!
OK fcuken hell

Hang on I'm gonna get a glass of wine for this one.

That's better.

1. Andy Irons. To me AI exemplified the best aspects of every great surfer I've ever seen. Fantastically athletic, extroverted, stylish, creative, yet with a technique based in the very heart of the sports finest traditions, AI was able to ride any wave presented to him and stamp it with his own particular magic. He also had the priceless gift of being able to share - both his own talent, which he was never afraid to put on show, and whatever surf he happened to be having. Of all the super great surfers I've spent time in the water with, he was the easiest to get along with and the most willing to give a wave to a fellow surfer.

2. Martin Potter. Pottz was truly a freak. What an overused word that is, along with "legend" it's brought up so often as to pretty much neuter its meaning, but Pottz was the real deal. Just so fcuken exciting to watch, so fast, dramatic, nothing seemed beyond him. He made surfing his home and there's heaps of surfers today who owe him a huge debt in style and approach.

3. Tom Curren. The most perfect surfing style ever produced In a single human. Tom's introversion, his fearful unwillingness to share, is the only thing between him and the top spot in my list, that and his inability to dominate in Hawaiian surf which for a surfer of his era was an essential requirement of true greatness. But he is a very humble guy who has struggled against numerous demons over the years and his absolutely superb surfing style has influenced every top surfer since, which no other surfer can truly claim.

4. Kelly Slater. How can you not be in awe of his persona and record in the sport. Well you know, I'm not. What I'm in awe of is how fcuken good he is at surfing, his constant engagement with it on all sorts of levels, and how he keeps on finding ways to push himself, whether it be through surfboard design, taking on new opponents, or keeping it clean and fit in a world full of bullshit artists. Kelly's set himself an enormously high bar and it will be fascinating to see how he copes with the next few years and what legacy he truly leaves.

5. Lil Tommy.