Tufflite boards

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Tufflite boards

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:32 pm

I was board shopping and found a webber afterburner in the tufflite epoxy version. I'm a little serious about getting it.

Anyone ever had a tufflite board? They feel like they'd snap in two in a 2ft shorey ... The guy trying to sell me the board was pretty convincing about the future of surfing being in tufflite, and its the only type of board he's ridden in the last 8 years blah blah ...

Will these boards still perform, and will they still look brand new after 2 years?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

otway1949
barnacle

Re: Tufflite boards

Post by otway1949 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 pm

I have one tufflite in my quiver, 3 years old now, shows some age, pretty tuff except th first go out dropped it on a very pointed shell on the rock out, = puncture, fixed ok, a few paint scrapes, no pressure dings no stressies that I can see, only real complaint is that it is a little bouyant type corky, needs drive kept on if you try to punch under whitewater driving to the shoulder , release drive and it corks out from under you.
IMO the lightness is good so you can get that short board go for in a turn on a bigger board, sort of thin response with better paddle power.

Oh watch them near camp fire, a burning ember can get through the skins quickly, faster than a normal board.
Quality , mmm I guess it depend on whether it's a bad hair day in the factory :!:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:15 am

So you'd buy another one, recommend one then?
Kunji wrote:

'llo-and Behold
regular

Post by 'llo-and Behold » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:30 am

I got two. My first was ridden hard for 3 years and is still in outstanding shape considering.
My current joy was run over by a mate (in his car) and needed a plug replaced coz a tyre wrenched out a fin, but is otherwise mostly unscathed.
If it's a good price, grab it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 am

I can get the Webber tuflite for $780. Is that a good price?

I can buy a Dahlberg on the rack for $650, but the dimensions are a little small for me, maybe what I was riding 5 years ago, or a MR spitfire for $720 ... I figured the tuflite was the better value for money out of those three.

I have a JS getting done custom, just a small grovel/ fish type of board, but I figured the best board I ever owned was a Webber Afterburner that I got greg to tweak for me. Fuller rails, slightly bigger hip in the tail and a heavier glass job. I wanted the Webber for 3-6 foot and anytime there is a bit of punch around. Just an all rounder.

Being a uni student for the first time in a few years, I'm kinda limited to a 2 board quiver, and want to work out the best combo of boards for me.

Cheers fellas
Kunji wrote:

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:12 am

How much are PU webbers now? Couldn't ya get one of those for less than $780?

Never had a tufflite, but I had an Webber SLX mini fish for a while, found it a bit stiff and it developed weird cracks around the fin plugs and dented just as easy as a PU board. So I wouldn't go for slx either.

Are the tufflite webbers dimensions changed to counteract the added float?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:21 am

Topher wrote:How much are PU webbers now? Couldn't ya get one of those for less than $780?

Never had a tufflite, but I had an Webber SLX mini fish for a while, found it a bit stiff and it developed weird cracks around the fin plugs and dented just as easy as a PU board. So I wouldn't go for slx either.

Are the tufflite webbers dimensions changed to counteract the added float?
Now that Greg has moved from Yamba to sydney, by the time I frieghted a webber custom up here (Angourie) it'll work out about the same as if I bought the tuflite off the shelf. Hence my whole dilemma.

The dimensions aren't changed in the tuflite boards, but Greg recommends you ride the size down from your normal glass board. So my glassed afterburner was a 6'4", so he's saying ride the 6'2" for the same, if not better ride/ performance due to the extra flotation. But, since I've played rugby league the last 2 seasons and hit the gym fairly hard in that time, I weigh a good 7 or 8 kilos more than I did when I had my afterburner, so I'm just gonna go after the 6'4" tuflite version. Well, I think I am anyway. :lol: I'm such an indecisive bastard
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:24 am

I'd love to hear what NC hasta say here. He goes balls deep on the ASL board bible every year, and surely he has tried out Tom's tuflite model?

NC??
Kunji wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:05 am

why are you looking at new boards and customs if you're a uni student? :)

in short flat boards, tufflite goes pretty well.
I wouldn't ride a tufflite any longer than 6 foot, and i'm 6 foot and 72kgs

i haven't seen many tuflites where the bottom contours are the same as the PU equivalent, they tend to flatten out, which I guess is due to the construction.

got a 5'11" stretch in TL1 which is golden in steeper waves, but it probably has the buoyancy of a 6'2" in PU.
it doesn't get into the waves as easily as a PU of the same volume due to the 'corkiness', and it doesn't ride through chop as well.

they aren't indestructible, I've chipped the nose on mine about 5 times. that said, having a stronger board means I paddle into waves I wouldn't touch if I only had one PU board...

I'd still go with the 6'2" if I was you.

i wouldn't get a stock webber, as they are glassed too light for mine.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Cheers ...

Just about to start studying, so right now cash isn't a problem. But in 6 months it will be.

Were you referring to the stock Webber tuflite, being to lightly glassed?
Kunji wrote:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:27 pm

I dont have much to add here, but from what I hear the tufflites are much ummm tuffer than they appear. They will break however if you seriously misstreat them.

The only other thing to consider is that it will probably feel a lot lighter than a PU board underfoot. I have a Webber epoxy ultralite and noticed this and it takes a little bit of getting used to.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:30 pm

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy it this arvo.
Kunji wrote:

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:09 pm

Braithy wrote:I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy it this arvo.
Just a quick awareness, any dings penetrating the skin, fix ASAP applies to all boards but very important in an epoxy.
I'm happy with mine 3 years on :D Now just crank up the surf :!: :lol:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Braithy wrote:Were you referring to the stock Webber tuflite, being to lightly glassed?
no, the poly ones. don't think there's much variability in tuflite glassing?
a bit got cut off and i couldn't be bothered retyping it, what i meant to say was that i wouldn't get a webber poly, but i rode a 6'2" afterburner and the shapes seem good so the tuflite might be the go

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Just bought it and hada quick paddle in some 2ft closeouts on main beach. It seems effortless to power it around the lineup, catch waves and duckdive ... I kinda like it so far, it feels loose and has some good push through dead sections. Hard to say as the waves were sucking up and closing out, I'm keen to get it on some open faces tomorrow ...

It is really weird underfoot though, it just feels like it's not there. Not sure if that's something I'll get use to?!
Kunji wrote:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Braithy wrote:
It is really weird underfoot though, it just feels like it's not there. Not sure if that's something I'll get use to?!
Yep, you will get used to it, but it will never feel like a PU board - obviously.

porca
regular

Post by porca » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:35 pm

I have 3 of em and love my tufflites

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:53 pm

I think you can psyche yourself in or out about boards. If you start thinking its a dog........it will sooner or later be a dog. Try to keep an open mind and just think of it as a different material......if you like it thats all that matters. Even the pros now are using or contemplating material that they would not have dared to a few years ago. Most pros wont ride anything outside of their standard dims so they stay with the one feeling. Hope it works for you.