Going Troppo

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

lessormore
barnacle

Going Troppo

Post by lessormore » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:24 pm

Going O/S shortly to the tropics (Indo) for 2 weeks and just wondering what preparation others undertake to make the most out of a short stay in warmer climates?
In younger days the one most prepared was the one who could drink the most beer between the home airport and arrival( Boony style), and spending a few days in Kuta acclimatizing was all that was required for a one month plus stay.And training equalled surfing at home prior twice a day instead of once.
Nowadays, with a more regimented schedule (family, work) it takes a bit more planning to hit the ground running(surfing) to maximize the limited time and money spent.
Getting fit as possible is a given but what else do others do, like doing laps in the hottest pool you can find ? Exercise with extra layers of clothes? And what about diet? Do you find the seediest take- away in Surry Hills at 3 in the morning and try a few Chicko rolls or chicken wings, to simulate something from an Indo cholera kart.
And then there's the sun.Anyone used one of those sun hats you see mal riders hiding under? Do they stay on during wipeouts?
Any thoughts?
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Going Troppo

Post by pridmore » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:43 am

surfing lots is my prep, and by wearing a wetty, it makes things seem so much easier over there when you get the wetty off....a big drink used to be fun on the way over but if ya got a short visit , ya dont wanna be feeling shite for a day or 2 and not makin the most of the waves....but always hard not to esp if ya pumped up and the boys are keen to have a few...haha...as for the food, eat healthy, eat alot of fruit and find somewhere clean , usually can see by the numbers of people at certain eating spots....hope ya score good waves over there and enjoy the warm water mate.....where ya heading, or is it top secret ??? quiver ? keen to see pics.... 8)

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:52 am

no advice on the prep, but when you're there get some snake(skin) fruit.
local name is salak (pondoh or bali depending on where you are)
you'll know it when you see it.
most markets will have it by the kilo, it lasts about 4 days in indo heat but is best in the first couple of days.
it tastes good and will make sure you don't get sick.
just don't eat more than 5 a day.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:42 am

alakaboo wrote:
just don't eat more than 5 a day.
You've piqued my interest there. What happens if you have more than 5 a day? :lol:
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 am

nothing happens at all.
for quite a few days....

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:13 pm

pridmore wrote:surfing lots is my prep, and by wearing a wetty, it makes things seem so much easier over there when you get the wetty off....a big drink used to be fun on the way over but if ya got a short visit , ya dont wanna be feeling shite for a day or 2 and not makin the most of the waves....but always hard not to esp if ya pumped up and the boys are keen to have a few...haha...as for the food, eat healthy, eat alot of fruit and find somewhere clean , usually can see by the numbers of people at certain eating spots....hope ya score good waves over there and enjoy the warm water mate.....where ya heading, or is it top secret ??? quiver ? keen to see pics.... 8)
The 6'5" Quadfather will be the board of choice for most days, with a second hand 6'10" Wayne Lynch Surftech that goes like a rocket, for down the line waves and a 7'2" for bigger days.As for location, you'll have to work that out from the pics when I return. :wink:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:39 pm

You don't realise how much you rely on peripheral vision until you wear a hat surfing. I find it hard. The brim often gets in the way of keeping an eye on the lip ahead. Some hats also amplify all the splashing noises when you paddle, which annoys the feck out of me too. And as mentioned having to tuck when duckdiving etc.

If you don't mind looking like a complete tool, then I reckon the long sleeve rashie with the hood is the best idea, just pull the hood off when going for a wave. Saying that I won't wear that either. :D
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

zingomar
regular

Post by zingomar » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14 pm

After my recent first trip to Indo I reckon some form of hat makes a huge difference on the clear sunny days. On a couple of hot days where i forgot the hat my head and face felt like they were burning up even with sunscreen. It cut short my time in the water. One day with a hat on I surfed for 6 hours straight on a sunny day and caught about 50 waves while the others were having a siesta.

I reckon a hat on a hot day can add 2 hours to a session easy.

I wore a round brim one but looked pretty goofy in the photos. Next time I would take a peaker cap of some sort and perhaps even cut the brim a bit shorter to keep the tube vision good. You only need a small peak to keep the sun off if you angle your head right.

You need a good attachment to keep it on.On big serious days I ditched the hat.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:56 pm

when you get there, drink bucket loads of Pocari sweat, the name is misleading, it tastes worse than sweat, but those little electorlytes are winners.

have a plate of fresh fruit with every meal

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:40 am

Anyone have any first hand experience with this?
Garuda Airlines
All Sporting Equipments, including but not limited to Golfing, Surf board, Bicycle and Skiing equipments maybe included into applicable passengers Free Baggage Allowance/FBA according to their actual fare paid.
Excess baggage of sporting equipment up to first 15 (fifteen) kilograms will be free of charge.
The next excess baggage of more than 15 (fifteen) kilograms will be charged at applicable normal excess baggage rate.
When the original baggage (excluding sporting equipment) is over the passenger baggage allowance, the excess will be assessed first at normal applicable excess baggage rate.
Is the 15kg free on top of the normal 20kgs and available on standard economy fares?
Internal Indo domestic(Garuda) as well?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:11 am

lessormore wrote:Anyone have any first hand experience with this?
Garuda Airlines
All Sporting Equipments, including but not limited to Golfing, Surf board, Bicycle and Skiing equipments maybe included into applicable passengers Free Baggage Allowance/FBA according to their actual fare paid.
Excess baggage of sporting equipment up to first 15 (fifteen) kilograms will be free of charge.
The next excess baggage of more than 15 (fifteen) kilograms will be charged at applicable normal excess baggage rate.
When the original baggage (excluding sporting equipment) is over the passenger baggage allowance, the excess will be assessed first at normal applicable excess baggage rate.
Is the 15kg free on top of the normal 20kgs and available on standard economy fares?
Internal Indo domestic(Garuda) as well?
Yep you read it right, even works on the domestics, I've got up to 20kgs over but don't rely on this. It only cost me when I was taking a longboards in a double wheely board bag and there was a stand in Quaintarse guy having a bad hair day doing the Garuda book in, return trip and internals were OK.
Slip your porters a little extra they can talk you through some counter difficulties
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?